Oculus multiple monitor setup

Homepage Forums Technical Support Oculus multiple monitor setup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    npnielsen
    Participant

Hello there!

Anyone using VorpX with the rift?

I have a technical question regarding how to use several monitors with the rift dk2.

We are going to run some experiments with the rift and it is necessary for us to be able to see what the participant is viewing on the rift. Therefor we want to have a second monitor that shows us exactly what is shown on the rift. I have tried to make this work for weeks but I haven’t succeeded. My problem is that the rift is in portrait mode as a default. That means that if I duplicate the rift (rotated to landscape mode) the picture on my second monitor will be rotated 90 degrees and the resolution will decrease because the height is suddenly the width (so that my width is now 1080 and no longer 1920). I have tried to make it work with a dvi-splitter with no luck, since I still have to choose the orientation for the output which I split.

When I surf the internet it seems that it is possible to make this work, but I haven’t been able to receive help on forums.

Can you please help me?

Kind regards, Niels Peter Nielsen, Denmark

goshops
    Participant

I vaguely remember Oculus saying the only way to get multiple monitor support is with an HDMI splitter so whatever comes out of the Rift also goes to a monitor.

npnielsen
    Participant

Hi goshops. Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried that solution, but either the rift or the monitor will be flipped 90 degrees. I have to choose orientation on the computer and then it makes no difference..

goshops
    Participant

Oh yes, that is because the way the screen on the Rift is.

If you plan to demo the Rift and show people some games while allowing others to view as well, then you’ll just have to physically rotate the monitor so it is in portrait instead of landscape. If your monitor stand won’t accommodate that, you’ll probably have to invest in some adjustable monitor stands

Something like that, although there are other varieties that can get quite expensive, like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/office-school-supply/monitor-tv-mounts/desktop-stands-and-arms/dual-monitor-arm-21w-x-3-1-2d-x-19-1-2h-gas-spring-arms?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CIKc1_CYgsMCFRAtaQodR34AWQ

Ralf
    Keymaster

It might be possible to do this with a software solution. I’m not 100% sure, but IIRC someone mentioned that he used Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) for mirroring the DK2 to another monitor. I may be mistaken though.

npnielsen
    Participant

Thanks for your replies! My solution was to use the Open Broadcaster Software as you suggested Ralf!

>>>Finlander<<<
    Participant

We need the Direct HMD access to work with VorpX..
    After that it shows in main screen as a copy without dropping FPS :)
    OBS works fine until then but needs some tinkering.. :D
    I have made setup where I can demonstrate game in main monitor in normal mode without it showing “rift” image :D
    so it is double image (stereoscopic) in oculus rift and barreled but in main monitor it is like normal game :D
    This is what we need to “Demo” rift to audience ;)

Here is the thread: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/here-is-something-new-for-everybody/

Wor this thread and full copy of Rift image we need that Direct HMD access to work :/

npnielsen
    Participant

That looks good Finlander. Anything new in explaining how you did it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!