Offset the center of the image?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Offset the center of the image?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Creep
    Participant

Hi, just a general question:
    Is there maybe a setting that I overlooked, to offset the absolute position of the image up/down? If not, could something like that be added in the future?

My problem is that when I try to go for minimum Image Zoom (I know I shouldn’t do that anyway if I want to properly use timewarp, but nevermind that for a moment) the bottom is always the last side to touch my periphal.

To put it in other words: On the Vive, with an ingame resolution of 1280×1024, when I start from the minimum image zoom and increase it in small steps, the bottom is always the last area that still shows the grey background. On the top it vanishes at least 3-4 zooming steps earlier. So I’m thinking in my case it would make sense to offset the whole image down a bit, it’s just not in the subjective center of my vive.

I hope that explanation makes sense and I’m looking forward to your answers/tips.

Regards, Creep

Creep
    Participant

Bump, so maybe Ralf sees this.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Your explanation makes sense. The vertical FOV is slightly asymmetric on both the Rift and and the Vive.

Addressing that by moving down the image is not the right thing to do, but you can address it yourself by changing the ImageZoom in the vorpX config app to 1.0 to fill the whole vertical FOV. Be aware that this will also require choosing a higher FOV in the games you want to play.

Creep
    Participant

No way, ImageZoom 1.0 is far too zoomed in.
    In Borderlands:TPS I am currently sitting around 0.56 and it already fills the perceivable lens-fov.

It’s okay though, if you say moving the image is not the right thing to do, then I’ll just have to cope with that.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Sounds like the same thing I was asking about here:

A way to adjust the center of focus?

@ Ralf: Are you saying moving the image up and down is impossible then? Because if not, then this should easily fix the trouble we seem to be having.

We just want a way to move the image center down some so that it is more in center with our line of sight (since our face shape doesn’t fit the HMD mask perfectly, causing our viewing angle into the lenses to be slightly low off center of the intended focus).

Creep
    Participant

Sounds like the same thing I was asking about here:

A way to adjust the center of focus?

@dellrifter: exactly, your’re describing the same issue. I would have just replied to your thread, if I had seen it earlier.

I didn’t think to include the relevance of the face shape and hmd-padding for the percieved fov in my description. For example, when I remove my cotton VR Cover, my face is a little bit closer to the lens and I need to increase my ImageZoom to 0,6 to fill up the perceivable fov on the bottom side.

The explanation in your thread makes it a bit clearer, with the crosshair example.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ dellrifter: It’s not impossible, but it has an unwanted side effect (distortion) since your eyes don’t look at the center of the rendered image anymore when you do this. The first vorpX release for CV1 actually did that and it was thrown out immediately after I realized where the weird distortion on CV1 with this version came from.

As said above, the right thing to do is using image zoom, which keeps the center at the center.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Not looking to stretch the image further down, rather shift it down with ratio locked. But…

Does vorpX not do any lens distortion compensation? or is all of that handled by SteamVR?

If it’s handled by SteamVR I can see why shifting the image down could distort it some.

Just a shame really. Letting us adjust the center would solve a lot of hud issues, and provide a more comfortable viewing experience with less eye strain and a better sense of balance.

Appreciate the explanation anyhow, and that you have tried to do this with the CV1.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I understood that. It causes distortion when turning your head because the image/perspective is not centered anymore when you do that. As said above this was done in the first CV1 release of vorpX and removed because of said distortion. SteamVR/Oculus SDK apply the lens adjustement after this has been done.

By using ImageZoom the image/perspective center stays in the center, this is the right thing to do here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!