OpenGL games, like NWN 1

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion OpenGL games, like NWN 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mephy666
    Participant

Is there any chance there will be support of OpenGL games? If so, I’d buy one extra license just for the feature.

Specifically, I would like to try Neverwinter Nights 1 in VR. A strange request maybe, and maybe not possible to work out well in VR. It’s a “what if”. Some old games still have so much content, and if VR could work out well, older stuff could once again live – for a while. Or just for fun for some people.

Aaaanyway. Is OpenGL games a possibility?

BuckleBean
    Participant

Support for some opengl games was introduced back in the 0.9 update: https://www.vorpx.com/vorpx-0-9-available/

Mephy666
    Participant

I guess I haven’t been doing my research here! Thanks for the info!

Will be buying now!

DariusV
    Participant

Hi, did you get NWN working?

techroot
    Participant

I almost puke tryng to.

Lieudtenant
    Participant

Any luck with NWN? I’m on a NWN kick right now and being able to play it in semi-VR would be the cherry on top.

morbidexpression
    Participant

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition works for me now, I think I’m using a copy of the Quake III profile using nwnmain.exe in admin mode. In geometry 3D. It looks gorgeous zoomed out like a tabletop game but spazzes out and turns into a postage stamp occasionally. Hitting the middle mouse button seems to sort it out. Something with the camera settings and/or head tracking is going wonky but can probably be fixed easily.

Piddled around on a persistent world server anyway since I had voice chat going with the mic on the rift, REALLY enjoyable to muck around half-playing D&D with people online despite the camera and cursor problems.

Ralf, might be worth taking a look at profiles for NWN1:EE and NWN2, that worked for me as well and was goddamn delightful loading up an old module I made and running around rubberbanding in 3D throughout.

If anyone can sort out the camera or find a good graphics setting that fixes these glitches, shout! They are redoing all the assets and character models for NWN:EE along with improvements to the UI and shaders, so things could improve significantly if we can adjust the UI in a few months.

morbidexpression
    Participant

Works much better after remapping edgepeek button.

RJK_
    Participant

NWN 1 is one of my favorite games, if not my favorite at all. Cant wait to see Linu again in VR !

I wonder how far back the OpenGL recognition of vorpX reaches, today i found Myth 3 in the attic from 2001 with openGL.

Orbital eldua barkatt

Ralf
    Keymaster

The older the game the better the chance to get an OpenGL title working with stereo 3D. Good base profiles for experiments are Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake 4, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 and Amnesia, which all use slightly different stereo approaches or settings. As a last resort try the D2X-XL profile, which still uses the outdated (but most compatible since simplistic) pre 18.1.0 implementation.

RJK_
    Participant

Real good news Ralf, thank you !

BTW: i came across this today , DX1-11 to openGL Wrapper. Couldnt that be a way to get all those old DX1-8 gamnes to work ?

http://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

the scripts are even free
    https://github.com/adolfintel/wined3d4win

morbidexpression
    Participant

Been playing more with Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. It’s really playable and looks amazing with the settings dialed in better, which is a helluva thing for such a grizzled old game.

Would love a better profile that could use virtual cinema/immersive screen modes — it only works in Full VR mode if with edgepeek on, having more flexibility would help.

Will try cloning the profiles you mentioned, Ralf – thanks for the suggestion. Already shared this with a few friends who are squealing with delight.

morbidexpression
    Participant

I tried the ones Ralf suggested and the Quake 4 profile is the one to use with Neverwinter Nights: EE. You don’t need to remap edgepeek and all three modes work. Wish I could increase 3D strength a bit but there’s definitely SOME depth there, noticeable when adjusting camera. Very playable multiplayer if you like to use voice chat too.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll check NWN1/2 before the next update to see whether an official profile can improve anything. They’re sitting in my GOG library ‘unopened’ for ages.

morbidexpression
    Participant

For 1, it’s definitely the current beta “Enhanced Edition” Beamdog is working on with improved rendering/shaders/etc, I wasn’t able to get Diamond Edition from GOG to hook. Probably for the best, I get way better performance in the EE anyway.

2 from GOG works off a copy of The Witcher profile in quite good Geometry 3D in the game itself if you turn off bloom in the settings. Otherwise you get quite wild visual distortions if you move the camera. Once bloom is turned off, pretty playable except for annoying flickering loading menus and there’s some oddball shadow artifacting.

Would be great if you could spot anything that would help. Great base to start from tho, very encouraging. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!