OpenGL games, like NWN 1

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion OpenGL games, like NWN 1

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

I am not shure if the GOG versions are very representative, i noticed when installing (i have the deluxe version with all add ons) it is recommended to install ALL add ons at first install because they update the main game to newer versions. ( at least for 3D visison that made a big difference ).

Ralf
    Keymaster

For older games the rule is checking the currently available versions, which usually means Steam and GOG. There is no way to keep track of (or often even acquire) every potential CD/DVD version that might have been released in the past.

morbidexpression
    Participant

This is the one that hooks:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

They are making it a lot simpler for add ons with the steam workshop and put the multiplayer server back up. They are selling it on the beamdog site, then they give you a steam key. I think they’ll turn the direct steam sales on in a few months, then I think it’ll be on GOG as well with the old version withdrawn like their previous EE releases.

They are doing some useful updates that will help for VR performance. Looks really nice on a 4k too.

RJK_
    Participant

For older games the rule is checking the currently available versions, which usually means Steam and GOG. There is no way to keep track of (or often even acquire) every potential CD/DVD version that might have been released in the past.

Please forgive my criticism, I would only partly agree with that because it would mean if steam or gog brings out a “newer version” which is the case for many games where they do some updating on use with Win7/8/10 for example, only that would be supported by vorpX. In my eyes it would only partly make sense because this would force a player to become a member of company XY. I think vorpX should work with the latest official version of the manufacturer, not the one from a company XY. In case of a downloadgame from gog or steam this is not an issue but for a purchased game CD from a supermarket for example.

Of coarse i agree with that not every older game-version can be kept eye on.

RJK_
    Participant

I have just installed the Deluxe Edition patched to v1.68. VorpX hooks into the game, i was using the Star Wars, Old Republic Profile which gave me an excellent G3D. Positional Headtracking was working but not headtraking in main.

The graphics look amazing especially on very high resolutions but the game is unplayable in VR because the HUD is way to small. When lowering screen resolution, HUD is gaining in size, but still unreadable in VR. I think that could be a problem with many other games too where you have to click and answer/ask questions.

Did anyone manage to use (read) the HUD ?

RJK_
    Participant

Using a quake 3 profile makes the headtracking work better, but 3D settings must be done very carefully. Leaving the game performes better with Quake 3, HUD has better quality, but still text is not readable. Black Screen appears with all profiles used when pressing ESC in order zu go back to main menu.

RJK_
    Participant

GUI enlarger : https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/enhanced-gui

Does anyone also gets a black screen when presing ESC or leaving the first room ?

morbidexpression
    Participant

No, works great with EE on the Q4 profile. Text is readable, they added scaling so the UI is just fine. The UI and rendering enhancements really make it worthwhile even if you’re sniffy about “enhanced editions” or pissy about 2 lines in Dragonspear. They’ll open up the UI for modifications later this year so there should be even more improvements. Mainly I need to shift the dialogue to the center of the screen, it’s annoying looking to the left all the time. A first person camera mode for exploration would be nice as well, I vaguely recall some old camerahack mods for that but if they revisit the camera for this, we could do better.

Great to know you managed to make it hook on the older edition tho! Maybe I had my permissions wrong or something, I tried many times since openGL support was added and never got results.

morbidexpression
    Participant

On the Beamdog stream today this was brought up, Dagle mentioned that first person could work pretty good in NWN with movement and headlook separated. Combat would be a total shitshow of course and time to zoom out.

RJK_
    Participant

Quake 4 profile doesnt show black screen anymore when pushing ESC. Though Quake3 profile (as far i remember) has HUD adjustment which is missing here. I have uploaded a profile to the cloud with G3D in FULL VR mode. Looks quite nice to me, push DEL for a nice 3rd person view. Only issue here is the HUD which still could be larger and better visible. Tell me if you like it.

RJK_
    Participant

If you are using the text-mod i have mentioned above, remove pnl_quick_bar.mdl from the override folder, this moves the spellbar back into the center of the sceen for better readability.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!