Positional tracking via Direct VR?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Positional tracking via Direct VR?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    andybak
    Participant

In the news post it says “In some cases positional tracking can be handled by Direct VR”

Where can I see this in action? I’ve only tried Left4Dead 2 so far and it didn’t seem to do any positional tracking.

Ralf
    Keymaster

What can be handled by Direct VR varies from game to game. The Direct VR settings page in the vorpX menu always indicates what is available for a game. Unavailable options are marked as such.

If it’s not enabled per default (can’t remember currently), you can force the normal pos tracking in Left 4 Dead 2 (and all other Geometry 3D games) on the head tracking page of the ingame menu though.

rust
    Participant

What can be handled by Direct VR varies from game to game. The Direct VR settings page in the vorpX menu always indicates what is available for a game. Unavailable options are marked as such.

If it’s not enabled per default (can’t remember currently), you can force the normal pos tracking in Left 4 Dead 2 (and all other Geometry 3D games) on the head tracking page of the ingame menu though.

Where are those options in game? Where are geometry settings, Direct VR settings? I have:

Main settings (only one option here VR cinema ON/OFF)
    Image Settings
    Display settings
    Head tracking settings
    Vive hand controller settings
    Mouse settings
    VR hotkey settings

Where are settings for Vive controller trackpad sensivity (beside mouse acceleration ON/OFF) Found it

Ralf
    Keymaster

The DirectVR page in the menu is only shown if a game actually supports DirectVR.

Currently this true for these games: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

rust
    Participant

Where are geometry settings? I had them before

Ralf
    Keymaster

If a game has Geometry 3D, the option is available on the main page of the ingame menu (“3D Reconstruction”). That did not change with the update.

rust
    Participant

I had something like z-buffer normal or adaptive. I dont remember, now i cant change it and shadow rendering is different in each eye. It makes Vorpx unusable for now

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s the “3D-Reconstruction” option on the main page of the ingame menu, which hasn’t changed. It’s where it always was.

rust
    Participant

That’s the “3D-Reconstruction” option on the main page of the ingame menu, which hasn’t changed. It’s where it always was.

Nope i believe you’re wrong. Cant make a screenschot in VR but i had this option before update and now in alien isolation there is only one option “Virtual Cinema ON/OFF”

rust
    Participant

acually i can make a screenschot, here :

no options in main menu

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that is happening in a game that has no profile, it can be perfectly normal.

If that is happening in a game that is supposed to have a profile, please first try to reinstall vorpX. Might be an issue with loading profiles then. If reinstalling does not help, please create a trouble shoot data archive in the config app and send it to support |at| vorpx com. I have no idea why that may happen, but maybe looking at the logfile can shed some light on it.

Dedalus19
    Participant

Hi Ralf, I would also like to know which games support the “head tracking position” feature per DirectVR. I’ve tried Borderlands2 and Skyrim (original) and both report unavailable, but auto FOV and rotation are working. I’m using the HTC Vive, and notice when I turn my head and look up/down, the whole world shifts up/down slightly, instead of just head roll up/down, which induces some nausea. Any method for tweaking the neck skeleton, so that looking up/down doesn’t move the view height in game?
    Appreciated for all your hard work and newest version features!!!

prinyo
    Participant

Hmm, I have the same as in the screenshot that rust posted for Skyrim. But I’m not sure how to reinstall vorpX as I have no installation file. It is no longer possible to download because the link in my confirmation mail had 14 days TTL.

And speaking of positional tracking, I’m having quite a lot of fun at the moment experimenting with it. Seems it would be possible to have room-scale experience in 3rd person, not a gameplay room-scale, but a viewer one, where you can get close to things or move up and down to see things from different angles. But at some point it recenters and tells you not to move too much. Is it possible to have this disabled and recenter via a shortkey/controller button?

If you feel like experimenting you can enable the free camera (type TFC in the console or use the Better Free Camera) and you can move around both with the keyboard and your body. Unfortunately you are losing control over your character by enabling the free camera.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Dedalus

Off the top of my head: The Bioshock games and the Fallout games and Aliens Colonial Marines. All games with Geometry 3D have positional tracking without Direct VR though. If not active per default, it can be enabled on the head tracking page of the ingame menu. Note that neither Direct VR nor the normal pos tracking auto-convert games into great roomscale experiences, it’s perfectly fine for playing seated or standing with a little bit of movement though.

@ prinyo

The menu issue was just identified thanks to the logfiles rust sent. It actually affects every Vive owner, so it will be addressed immediately. With Vive these options are invisible due to a last minute change yesterday that wasn’t tested anymore with Vive.

I will issue a hotfix shortly (within the next few hours). Once it is online vorpX should auto update again.

If you still need/want a new download, you can get that at any time from the link below:
    http://www.vorpx.com/request-new-download/

prinyo
    Participant

Cool! Is it also possible to add a setting for the recentering? Right now it seems to happen when you move about a meter. Is it possible to add an option for it to be triggered on demand and not automatically? This would open an observation-room-scale ability and will be really great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!