Positional tracking via Direct VR?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Positional tracking via Direct VR?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

You can recenter manually either through a button in the menu (as soon as it is visible again) or with [ALT][SPACE], which can also be changed to any other key in the config and mapped to the Vive wands if needed.

prinyo
    Participant

Cool, so the question is how do I switch off the automatic recentering that vorpX does by itself when it detects that I have moved more than it thinks I should? When it says it has recentered and I should avoid moving too much.

Added: What I mean is – if you are in the game standing up – then duck and vorpX will suddenly move the camera when you are at about a meter from where you started. This kind of “immersion room-scale” will work really well with the controller mapping. :-)

rust
    Participant

I would like to switch it off too. Most of the time i know how to return to default position without recentering. Just leave an option to change it and save in game profile please

hhhqwe
    Participant

Would also love to be able to disable the automatic re-centering or at least extend the distance when it kicks in. I’m trying to get play Skyrim with Pocketstrafe to allowing run in place locomotion, however, the HMD often recenters when running more vigorously

prinyo
    Participant

Something happened an now both Skyrim and FONV don’t appear on the headset at all and are only running on the screen mirror at 1fps.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ prinyo:

Only some super generic hint, sorry: if you didn’t do so already, try restarting SteamVR/Oculus Home or the PC.

@ rust, hhhqwe:

That is done with a reason: if you wander off too far, rotation may not be correctly centered anymore. I totally understand that you would like to have any game converted into a perfect roomscale experience, but if at all that is only possible to a certain degree with games that have positional Direct VR, where this restriction does not exist.

And depending on the game not even that necessarily works well since for example games may use different position values for collision detection and rendering which may make you run against an invisible wall for example while you see an open door in front of you. That is all a lot more complex than you may think and there are certain limitations re what should be done.

hhhqwe
    Participant

Do you have a list of games that are fully supported by DirectVR? It honestly bought VorpX because I thought that it would have full support for DirectVR

Ralf
    Keymaster

A few posts above is a list of the current games with positional Direct VR. vorpX never was advertised as providing roomscale in any way. I’m in fact very, very conservative in this regard on purpose. Even in yesterdays announcement it says is that Direct VR can handle positon in SOME games, with no mention of roomscale anywhere. As much as we all would like that, there is no magical formula to transform every existing game in the world into a roomscale game unfortunately while not even most native VR tiles are actually roomscale games.

You can perfectly well play standing, walking in place etc. with every game that has Geometry 3D (and thus positional tracking). In some games more may be possible, but the above is the common denominator that you should have in mind in general.

hhhqwe
    Participant

Hmm, I’ll have to reinstall VorpX then, my room doesn’t even allow movement more than 1m in any direction but my view still gets reset very often. I’ll play around a little better more. I really appreciate your honest and detailed posts. Thank you!

prinyo
    Participant

I didn’t understand why it is not possible to make an option to disable the automatic recentering. An option – as in keep it on as default and let people disable it at their own risk.
    I mean – what can be worse than the sudden abrupt unexpected switch in your point of view that happens when it auto triggers now. This autorecentering is probably one of the worst things to experience in VR. It discourages the usage of the motion controllers by forcing people to keep playing seated with keyboard and mouse.
    Also when it happens you need to tweak it back to normal. I mean – if you are away from your starting position it is obvious that you are there temporarily and you will want to return. Now when this happens you need to stop playing, go back to the starting position and force recentering again.
    If you are afraid things may break with some games you can leave a warning with this setting as say it is experimental. We are all early adopters, we can deal with that.
    I can imagine many possibilities for mods (for Skyrim and the Fallouts) if the player room-scale is unblocked. Pretty please, make it an option!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry in advance for the many caps below. This is extremely important to understand, hence I have to emphasize.

If you want to play standing, please play standing IN PLACE unless a game has positional Direct VR! Standing in place always works totally fine.

As outlined above positional Direct VR is the ONLY way to be able to walk around in a decent manner. Otherwise you ALWAYS need to be in the center position for 100% correct head rotation, which is the reason for the re-centering. It’s difficult to explain, but since the position is applied retroactivley in that case, the rotation center WILL move away from your head with you moving away from the position center.

Again: ONLY games with positional Direct VR (e.g. Fallout 4, Bioshock, Aliens: Colonial Marines) allow decent walking around. Other games are not suited for walking around and should be played standing in place (or seated).

That said, you can see for yourself by raising the fHtRecenterDistance in C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\vorpX.ini. The value is the radius in meters.

You WILL encounter the behavior outlined above without positional Direct VR, which is the reason for the re-centering.

prinyo
    Participant

Thanks!

I’m going to experiment a bit with it tonight.
    It also seems the new vorpX version allows for more graphic mods than before. I want to experiment what I can add more while keeping the game at 45fps.

Thanks for the update and the support, this is really exciting :-)

peteostro
    Participant

Does Skyrim:SE have positional Direct VR? I thought it was rebuilt on the Fallout 4 engine.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Theoretically yes, in practice not at this point in time. In other words: it’s currently disabled due to some small but pesky issues (jitter), but will be looked into again for sure.

You can always exactly see what Direct VR scans are currently available for a game in the vorpX ingame menu and on the scanner screen.

You still have positional tracking in the game, so playing standing in place is perfectly fine, just walking around isn’t really recommended.

Farutos
    Participant

do treadmills like catwalk c or virtuix omni solving it by merely translating movements into arrow keys? If they can to that, the tredmilless. Why not vorpx, am i missing something whats the difference?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!