Ralf: HP Reverb G2?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Ralf: HP Reverb G2?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

With WMR headsets please always leave FluidSync at ‘On’ or ‘Auto’ (which is the WMR default). Something like 90/45 should never happen, that’s what I meant above when I said that WMR makes it more difficult for vorpX to keep the headset frame rate stable. ‘Auto’ should work most of the time. If you still encounter odd situations like the one you mentioned, set it to ‘On’.

senoctar
    Participant

Warrie check if reprojection is active Enabling motion reprojection for SteamVR Apps
    I don’t know what is the default option, but make sure it’s disabled (none option) if you don’t need it. The 90 game / 45 headset was occurring for me sometimes for a few seconds and it turned out to be auto reprojection.

Warrie
    Participant

Hi Senoctar, good one, will do that :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Good find! Clearly makes sense to leave that off (which seems to be the default BTW, just checked with a fresh install).

FluidSync should still be at ‘Auto’ or ‘On’ with WMR, the general issue with WMR making it harder for vorpX to maintain the full headset framerate in some situations does still occur.

Warrie
    Participant

I turned reprojection off in SteamVR, set graphics to medium and now I got 90/90fps. Awesome!

Obneiric
    Participant

Upgrading from a Rift-S to the G2 was well worth it for me, if you crank up the resolution high enough it looks nearly as sharp as a 1080p monitor. 60hz mode is very nice to have as well, it feels better than 90hz with Fluidsync on.

Warrie
    Participant

Thanks for the 60hz tip, will give that a try tomorrow. I noticed that some games, although showing 90fps, somehow still don’t feel really smooth, like F1 2020 for example, while for example Wreckfest runs/feels really smooth (both in Immersive mode). Never thought of experimenting with the 60hz mode.

Warrie
    Participant

Honestly my experience so far with 60hz isn’t good – F1 2020 still feels a bit stuttery in 60hz, the same as in 90hz. I expected other games to be able to run with higher gfx settings on 60hz but performace between 60hz and 90hz seem to be the same in my test – except now having 60fps instead of 90fps.

Ralf
    Keymaster

A little follow-up on the OpenXR plan mentioned above: I have a first implementation working since yesterday. Only tested about half a dozen games so far, but as much I can tell from that WMR via OpenXR seems to be a significant improvement over WMR via SteamVR. One layer less between vorpX and the headset driver is clearly a good thing.

Not only do uneven game/headset framerate ratios work much better, also game framerates below half the headset refreshrate are working in FullVR mode as they are supposed to. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, both major WMR annoyances largely gone, at least with the games that have been checked so far. Really promising.

Still lots of work to do, the headset part isn’t done yet and I haven’t even started with porting over the controller stuff. So don’t expect anything final in the immediate future.

Warrie
    Participant

Sounds promising Ralf! And I just read this on Reddit:

Yesterday in r/WindowsMR a WMR developer said that the only current way that the WMR for SteamVR plugin and SteamVR’s OpenVR API can interface is through copying the screen buffer. This can consume large amounts of memory because of the G2 100% size (actually 146% 2160×2160) , especially when (dynamically) oversampling. They have found a possible solution with sharing a screenbuffer both parties are working on.

This is a shortcoming of the OpenVR API, which despite its name is pretty much bound to Valve hardware and implementation, with support for other HMDs bolted on by plugins, instead of each manufacturer implementing the API as a driver.

The only structural solution is OpenXR, which all VR manufacturers including Valve are pushing. The huge difference in performance can already be seen when comparing games like MSFS and Revive with SteamVR vs OpenXR WMR native support.

Ralf
    Keymaster

After working out a few kinks and checking more games over the last days I’m confident to say now that with OpenXR WMR headsets will work just as good as native SteamVR headsets do with SteamVR. Couldn’t have hoped for a better outcome of the endeavour.

The controller part is still missing entirely, which is also a lot of work, so it’ll take a little longer until things are ready for release.

Laser
    Participant

Since I never use motion controllers with vorpx anyway, you could perhaps release a version without controller support first? ;)

Anyway thanks in advance for the Reverb support.

someskunkfunk
    Participant

Since I never use motion controllers with vorpx anyway, you could perhaps release a version without controller support first? ;)

Also never use motion controllers with Vorpx. Really looking forward to this either way! thx

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!