resolution managment ???

Homepage Forums Technical Support resolution managment ???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ghanth
    Participant

Howdy, I need help. The ingame resolution Vorpx is choosing at start is too low and Because of this the image looks uglily pixelated.
    Why is Vorpx always setting the ingame resolution to 1600×1200 at start when there are others 4:3 higher resolutions available ? Isn’t vorpX’s Direct VR settings optimizer seeing the custom resolution that i have Added ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For games where vorpX can change the resolution you can select a preferred quality on the DirectVR page of the ingame menu. Currently up to 1680p, the next vorpX version will raise the max to 2400p.

Whenever a profile supports auto resolution, you see a reminder stating the above in the top left corner of your game window.

Ghanth
    Participant

Thanks for the answer. I’m eagerly waiting for next version then. That sounds like a enhancement, especially for those equipped with large FOV HMD and last gen RTX GPU.
    But as i user, i think that no setting should be out of the end user’s reach. I mean, i’ve got the last RTX2080Ti GPU from nvidia and i feel frustrated not to be authorised to set the resolution at my will. I want to be able to manage the tradeof between sharpness and FPS. Automatic settings is cool as a reference point for FOV/resolution/Gpu power’s balance but it should remain a recommendation, not a restriction. I think that’s important that automatic setting could be bypass for thoses whom feels the need to.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can also disable auto resolution on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu, directly above the option that let’s you choose the quality.

It makes usually sense to leave it on though if available since vorpX can pick the best aspect ratio to avoid unnecessary rendering overhead.

blueshark747
    Participant

You can also disable auto resolution on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu, directly above the option that let’s you choose the quality.

It makes usually sense to leave it on though if available since vorpX can pick the best aspect ratio to avoid unnecessary rendering overhead.

Can you edit your resolution sticky thread an add the new 2400p resolution.
    For all 3 formats?
    That would help alot of people.

Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

Ralf
    Keymaster

Forgot about that, sorry. Will be done ASAP.

You can already find them in the vorpX help. The forum post is essentially a duplication of the ‘Custom Resolutions’ help section for everyone who refuses to check the help. ;)

Ghanth
    Participant

Thanks Ralf for the insights but it is still a complete failure here.
    I’m trying to play Thief and the wands bindings controls is a great addition BUT
    whatever resolution is set (DirectVR options On or OFF, SS in SteamVR, render quality in pitool and ingame resolution), i still get an awfull low res picture quality in HMDs (got a Vive and a Pimax 8K).
    As recommended in Vorpx help, I’ve added custom 4:3 resolution to nVidia panel: 2048×1536, 2240×1680, 2640×1980, 3200×2400. Also added for Pimax: 2048×1280, 2304×1440, 2688×1680, 3840×2160, 3840×2880.
    With auto-resolution ON, i get message: “DirectVR has change some settings, blah blah blah… game probably need a restart”
    When i restart, same message, same pixelated picture. Even the Vorpx menu is blocky and barely unreadable.
    Also, with all resolutions set, i get the error message poping up everytime i launch the game: “FOV auto-calculation requires 4:3 resolution”
    Ice on the cake: low frame rate warning for this incredibly poor quality cause it’s below 30 FPS on a monster PC equiped with an RTX280Ti (I used to play this game butter smooth in stereoscopic 3D at 1080p with my old 980Ti !). Godamn !
    I’m sorry for the tone of my speech but after all the time i’ve spent, this is frustrating as hell. Maybe other people are experiencing the same thing ? Anyone able to provide a way to get all that mess solved will be blessed !
    Thank you

Ralf
    Keymaster

After adding the resolutions you have to select the quality you want on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu. 1440p is a good starting point for a fast GPU. If performance is good enough, you can try something higher.

The low framerate warning might just get shown because the game caps the framerate in the menu and/or loading screens. Check the actual frame rate with ALT+F after entering the game.

Ghanth
    Participant

Yes Ralf, i did, but changing the resolution in direct VR’s panel did nothing better in this case: the low resolution remained crappy as it was. Also the auto FOV calculation seems to be wrong as i got distortions with it.
    So i disabled directVR completly. I manually changed my desktop resolution and ingame resolution similarly. Finally things improved. The picture got clearer and the FOV was looking good with barely no distortions. The game do accept all resolution ratios.
    The 4:3 res FOV warning remains in every situation tho. It pops up everytime the game is launched, even when a 4:3 resolution is set manually or via the directVR’s panel.
    I’m still surprised that i can’t get any smooth motion even with 1080p when i’m looking around with HMD. Physical head movements / rotations result in a very juddery motion and that’s very sickening.

Ralf
    Keymaster

First please try to run the game windowed. Some games may looked stretched with a 4:3 res on a widescreen monitor in fullscreen mode. Can’t remember currently whether Thief is among them, but that’s worth a shot.

Next please double check the Pimax recommendations in the vorpX help and make sure everything is precisely set up as described there. Provided your game actually runs with a high resolution the only thing that could possibly make it look ‘crappy’ is an issue with the final resolution on your Pimax.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just checked the game: you will indeed have to run it windowed, otherwise it won’t work right. Also the brightness may have to be adjusted when using SteamVR. You can do that either in the game’s graphics options or in the vorpX menu.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!