Skyrim in 4K, G3D in 17.3.0…simply incredible

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim in 4K, G3D in 17.3.0…simply incredible

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Firstly, I have to say many conrats to Ralf for literally pulling off a miracle with 17.3.0. Simply amazing!!!

I just booted up Skyrim with 17.3.0 with my resolution at 2880×2160 – 4:3 and switched to G3D mode, turned off fluid sync and am getting 90fps consistently with my 1080Ti. Normally I was running with z-adaptive to get 90fps but this is incredible. This makes Skyrim literally look and run like a native VR game. So fluid!!! Like butter. Very impressive!!! Using Oculus Rift.

I wish I had more time today to play but I guess I’ll have to wait till tmrw…

Thanks again Ralf!!! Cheers and Merry Christmas!!!

slydog43
    Participant

does anyone know if Steams: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition will work?

Thanks for the big update!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Skyrim SE works, but the original Skyrim is the better choice for vorpX in most cases. Except maybe for installations with very large HD texture packs that exceed the 32bit memory limit.

slydog43
    Participant

I tried to buy the original but got a used copy that was already registered. I want to just buy steam version.

Can you elaborate a little about why original is better that SE.

Ralf
    Keymaster

For one performance is better, although you can address that for the most part by setting the graphics detail in the SE to medium, which is similar to the highest setting in the original version.

The second reason are shadows in Geometry 3D mode, which are perfect in the original DX9 Skyrim, but slightly off in the SE.

The most important reason however is that like most newer games the SE uses a rather blurry shader antialising while in the original you can force good old real multisampling AA through you graphics driver, which looks a lot better in VR.

Satya
    Participant

Phoenix, did you have the 4K option in the in-game menu, and/or did this require a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Direct VR settings optimizer is 1680p max, which results in 1600×1680 for Skyrim, should work even without added custom resolutions since vorpX can auto-configure the game to run windowed.

If you want to tweak yourself and freely try even higher resolutions, you can disable “Change Game Resolution” in the vorpX menu (Direct VR page). vorpX won’t change the resolution anymore afterwards and you can enter any resolution you want manually in your SkyrimPrefs.ini.

Satya
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying Ralf. I notice Skyrim is playing more smoothly, so that’s a definite plus-strange thing though is that I’m getting crashes on saves. This has happened a couple of times already with Skyrim, and also on Oblivion.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Somebody on reddit said the mountains on Skyrim are flickering after the new update. Did anyone experience that?

Sadly I can’t play with the new VorpX update because two days ago the left screw fell out if my Vive and my strap detached and the screw is too stripped to reattach. Furthermore my Vive screens keep going black every few seconds. So I’m in touch with HTC about it. This conveniently happened two weeks after my 1 year warranty expired. Ah well.

Off topic question for Ralf: The game guy talking about flickering mountains in Skyrim says the Batman games have issues with G3D because lighting only shows up in one eye, so you have to play in Z3D. Is this true?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Batman: Certainly not as a general issue. Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were checked while redoing the game optimizer profiles a few weeks ago. I didn’t play the whole games, of course, but the start sequences worked like they always did. I’ll check them again, but would be quite surprised if anything had changed since last time. Not much has changed in the D3D9 rendering pipeline since then, if at all.

Update: brief 10secs. test in Arkham City shows no lighting anomalies.

Skyrim: there is some minor z-fighting flicker with (very) distant mountains with or without vorpX when using high/ultra graphics settings. Not a vorpX issue, that was always there in DX9 Skyrim. He probably just never noticed it on the monitor. One of the very few real advantages of the Special Edition BTW where that was fixed.

Satya
    Participant

Not sure what you did with Skyrim, it looks waaaay better than it used to! I tried to go with Phoenix’s resolution of 2880×2160, however the FOV after the scan didn’t seem to adjust correctly. I went back to the built-in 1680p-still looks amazing. Outdoors in the mountains, the contrast and depth seems so much fuller than before.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Satya: Glad you got things working. I have set up a number of custom resolutions through the Nvidia control panel. I then can access them in the Skyrim startup config panel…but only after unchecking ‘windowed mode’. I also have tweaked all the advanced settings in the Skyrim startup config panel for running in 4k (2880×2160) to give the best performance trade off to visual. Also, like Ralf mentioned…you need to turn off voprx control of resolutions inside vorpx to use custom resolutions.

Update for 4k (2880×2160): As I am able to get consistent 90fps in 4k, G3D…I do still get a dip in fps when entering a city from a forest or mountain…it also depends on the direction I am going. When in a city…I can be going one direction and get 90fps…then the opposite direction gets me 70-80fps or less. It’s only noticeable during the decline in fps. VR amplifies this so much more than 2D…I guess that’s why it’s not so noticeable on a 2D monitor. I have for now gone back to z-buffer for playing in 4k, as I don’t get any dips in fps from 90fps in Skyrim 4k at all…anywhere, with my custom settings. I also play without any AA enabled for the best performance. Even going from Vorpx max 1680p setting to custom 2160p makes a noticeable difference in clarity.

Ralf: thanks again for the work you have done in this update. Z-buffer looks much better now…I can now have a higher 3D strength setting than I use to have without things looking like their doubled for the most part. It’s a good enough sacrifice visually from G3D to warrant the huge boost in performance…though G3D is greatly more defined visually. I guess it may be the next Nvidia 2080Ti that will allow 4k 90fps everywhere in G3D ;D. I do suspect it’s Skyrim’s engine that’s causing the dip in fps in different directions though…and 4k VR pushing the brute force of the 1080Ti to the limit. It’s truly incredible to be able to do this in a game that’s not designed for VR at all. Great job!!

prinyo
    Participant

I think the internal resolution upscale still has an effect, so setting 1680 as preferred and then putting some value for the upscale allows to get to higher resolutions.

However I now have a problem with Oldrim where looking up and down will be treated as moving up and down sometimes. Go next to a table or a chair and start looking up and down. In some cases you will see the effect. I remember this problem from before and I think there was a solution for it, but I can’t remember what it was.

prinyo
    Participant

After some more testing the problem appears randomly and is quite strong. So I was standing in the middle of a room and just by looking up and down I was zooming-in on the floor or the ceiling retrospectively. Re-centering of the tracking or re-running the DirectVR scan didn’t seem to help.

And another question – in the change log it was mentioning switching the normal and the shift modes of the controllers, but I can’t find where it is.

prinyo
    Participant

Another big problem that sometimes seems to happen – the camera is shaking. When looking left and right the view is shaking, it is something like a stutter. This is something I have not experienced before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!