So after the Oculus price drama, how's support for OSVR and Vive?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion So after the Oculus price drama, how's support for OSVR and Vive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    moarveer
    Participant

I’m in Europe so Oculus is 740 euro for me, that’s a big no-no. So I wondered if there’s any news on Vive and OSVR support?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Both on the list, but not ready yet.

OpenVR (Vive) will be looked into as soon as possible. I wouldn’t bet on the Vive being much cheaper though. IIRC HTC already said a while ago that they will be targeting early adopters, which usually translates into “will be quite expensive”.

OSVR will be looked into as soon as headsets with a certain market potential are available or at least announced, which isn’t really the case yet. There is more room for that than I thought until a day ago though, so we’ll see.

moarveer
    Participant

Actually I would gladly pay about the same or a bit more for Vive since we’re getting room VR and controllers, but for a glorified DK2, right now Oculus is too much.

Can you expalin this a bit more about OSVR?: “There is more room for that than I thought until a day ago though, so we’ll see.”

Ralf
    Keymaster

If Oculus would have been cheaper, my personal guess would have been that the by far largest chunk of the initial market is pretty much covered by Rift and Vive with not much left for anybody else – at least for the next year or so.

With the Rift price announced yesterday however there probably is a bigger window for OSVR headsets in the price range many people expected the Rift to be in. I have absolutely no knowledge of something specific in this regard, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like that.

moarveer
    Participant

Cool thanks for replying! I sold my dk2 a few months ago but if the Vive price goes well beyond Oculus too I may simply get a dk2 again, so I hope you keep supporting it too!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Whether future vorpX versions will support the DK2 depends largely on whether the SDK 1.0+ still supports it. Can’t say that yet, but I hope so.

A used DK2 would certainly be a good choice for everyone on a budget.

grumdark
    Participant

Mmm … you mean that people do not buy cv1, but only our dk2 stay, we can not continue to use our devkit2 with Vorpx?

Do not separate the software Vorpx versions in case SDK 1.0 does not maintain compatibility with dk2?

Ralf
    Keymaster

How long the DK2 will be supported in future versions of vorpX depends on how long Oculus supports the DK2 in future runtime versions.

Kampinisu
    Participant

I don’t get it.. We are talking about brand new technology that is first of the kind in consumers hand. Price for the Virtual Reality.. I mean fucking VIRTUAL REALITY is just $600 dollars, come on guys! That price is nothing for a new tech. Smart-phones were $600+ when they first came and they were really bad if you think about them now. I don’t know why people are whining. What did you expect? $200 for a hi-end device?

If you wait 2-3 years until Oculus is in markets then you might get it for about $400. For now this is new technology and you need to pay the price they gave you and that isn’t so much anyway.

moarveer
    Participant

“Fucking VIRTUAL REALITY” is Vive, full room VR aka holodeck, integrated VR controllers. Oculus should have been cheaper because “it’s like being there!… while i’m seated with a stupid xb1 controller… playing a third person game?”. CV1 is a glorified DK2, better optics, 25% better resolution, better positional range, that’s it in terms of VR. I will wait for Vive thanks.

Besides, it’s not $600, it’s $800-1000 for non-US customers. Let that sink. So if I’m going to waste an absurd amount of money on a tech toy, I will simply get the ultimate experience instead.

Kampinisu
    Participant

“Fucking VIRTUAL REALITY” is Vive, full room VR aka holodeck, integrated VR controllers. Oculus should have been cheaper because “it’s like being there!… while i’m seated with a stupid xb1 controller… playing a third person game?”. CV1 is a glorified DK2, better optics, 25% better resolution, better positional range, that’s it in terms of VR. I will wait for Vive thanks.

Besides, it’s not $600, it’s $800-1000 for non-US customers. Let that sink. So if I’m going to waste an absurd amount of money on a tech toy, I will simply get the ultimate experience instead.

Well taxes aren’t Oculus fault. Vive will also have taxes. Headset itself is 600. I am interested about Vive also but to be honest i think it has way more lower quality parts and only superior thing is the chaperone system. That said i think Vive will ship in late 2016 earliest. Oculus started packaging their product in Septembet and still there are months of queue. Vive is still developing prototype and they say they ship in april. I don’t think they make it.

Both will be great, i’m sure. After next generation, who knows if i buy Vive instead of Oculus.

moarveer
    Participant

Well I’m in a position that I can wait patiently since I’m not touching Oculus. Vive may break their promises, Oculus did already. And yeah, Q1 shipping… by march 28, come on. Remember that we’re talking of HTC, a world-class hardware company that knows how to manufacture and ship products, they have shipped thousands of DKs already (for free), I trust they will ship around april or very close. Besides HTC has worldwide distribution and stock centers, so we’ll see if they indeed have this tax increase or not since they are mostly a matter of import taxes.

About Vive vs Oculus, actually most of the CES hads-on I’m reading lean towadrs Vive being a better overall experience than Oculus: “HTC makes the VR you’ve been promised, and everyone else needs to catch up” : http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/htc-vive-pre-hands-on/

Also I don’t buy that Oculus don’t have anything to do with the price increase. I bought DK2 and I paid the american price + taxes + shipping too, and it was WAY less than CV1 in comparison.

grumdark
    Participant

Personally I do not think so expensive cv1 Oculus price is more expensive than expected, but 600 dollars is not the reason for my rejection.
    The reason for my rejection was, having to pay 33% more, just to be European.
    I’m reading that Oculus noe s guilty of this, but what I have clear is that I am less guilty yet.
    Oculus has spent several years working, has previously sent two devkit and knows the problems of delivery, the latter is not a devkit HMD, is a commercial version, and I have never seen a worse distribution system to other countries.
    They simply had plenty of time to anticipate these problems and find a solution, but has not mattered.

On the other hand, dates of sending pre-acquisitions and currently carry more months of delays, since only hours after opening pre-purchase.
    These are just some of many reasons, for which Oculus has lost my trust as a customer.

In the future, I will raise to buy commercial version, but as of today, Oculus is my last election.
    I prefer even pay much more for a higher-quality product, but not having to go through these issues in a slow, dull and disinterested by customers from other countries now.

PD:Of course, everyone is free to spend the money however you want in Oculus CV1.

first_emperor
    Participant

Glorified Oculus Rift… Imho it’s exactly the other way around and I have to facepalm everytime I read something of the like “The Vive is going to be better priced and more potent”. That’s just not informed, as Ralf said HTC themselves already said that they expect the Vive to be a lot more expensive than the DKs from the Rift and around the 1000 with the controllers and such. Don’t pin me on it since I can’t find the source anymore, but I found multiple where it has been stated that the Vive is going to be a premier VR experience and probable more expensive.
    So I have no idea how so many get the impression or conclude that the Vive is going to be cheaper.
    On the other hand I also feel like those that are outraged come from the time they didn’t have to afford their own hardware and stuff. Remember what the first Blu-Ray players cost? The first HD or 3D displays? Blu-Ray players were around what the Oculus CV1 costs now, mediocre displays that were outdated a few months later cost a couple of CV1s.
    People should stop wishfull thinking and start see some perspective. A rather have an expensive first generation with good hardware that can convince people than a cheapskate version that disappoints. Because that would be the worst that could happen to VR.

edit: Oh and also all the surprise that prototypes are cheaper than the finished version. *facepalm*

moarveer
    Participant

No one has said that Vive will be cheaper afaik. Of course it will be more expensive, but it will have integrated vr controllers instead of waiting for them for many months to create a segmented market, plus room vr. So basically anything that oculus does (seated VR) can be done just fine on Vive, and then some.

Actually prototypes usually are A LOT more expensive than final versions since they aren’t mass produced. You’re comparing apples (DK2) with oranges (CV1).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!