STAR WARS: The Old Republic in HelixVision & vorpX

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings STAR WARS: The Old Republic in HelixVision & vorpX

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick1453
    Participant

Fellow gamers,

Before you say anything, I know that this game is not supported by both HelixVision and vorpX. However, I somehow managed to run SWTOR (Steam version, if it matters) in my headset, using both these tools. I hope that my story might help to support the game in the future.

So, I knew that SWTOR didn’t work with vorpX, as I had heard it stopped hooking with it a few years back. For this reason I was messing only with HelixVision at the beginning. I took some other game profile from HelixVision and adapted it to work with SWTOR. As a result, SWTOR was launching in anaglyph red/cyan mode, but wasn’t showing in my headset. I don’t know why, maybe I set the profile wrong.

Next I opened vorpX and just in case created a profile for SWTOR. I also installed a hook helper for swtor.exe. It didn’t work, so I deleted the profile. I left opened both HelixVision and vorpX, and launched SWTOR from the desktop. To my surprise, SWTOR, being in anaglyph mode on the monitor, just hooked with vorpX to be displayed on my headset (maybe it was a hook helper, but I failed to delete it, so I don’t know). Although I’m still not sure whether it was really in 3D as vorpX displayed a message that a game without profile would launch in 2D or Immersive mode, but it certainly looked like it (at least, I could tell that there was some depth). It is much better than ReShape with Depth3D shader, which also works with SWTOR, but I can’t recommend it. And I have access to all vorpX settings, I can even remap Valve controllers to my needs within the game.

I don’t know whether it will be in any help supporting the game in the future, but regardless I just want to thank authors of these amazing tools!

P.S. I created the same topic on HelixVision discussions page, if anyone is interested (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1127310/discussions/0/2998795613911256761/).

Ogrescar
    Participant

I don’t know where you got the idea that vorpx wouldn’t hook the game – it’s a directx9 game, so the odds are very likely that vorpx will hook it. HelixVision and whether it’s displaying in anaglyph on your monitor is irrelevant.

So, if you had assigned a profile from another dx9 game, Dragon’s Dogma for example, to the game’s executable, you’re likely to get at least Z3D, maybe even G3D if you find the right profile. Dragon’s Dogma is just an example – some profiles will work better than others, some will hook but not reconstruct the 3d, some won’t even hook.

Nick1453
    Participant

Previous topics on this forum indicated that vorpX won’t hook (i.e., this one https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/swtor-star-wars-the-old-republic-ea-mmo/). Someone claimed that the game once worked with Elder Scrolls Online profile (both games use the same HeroEngine). I tried that profile and no luck.

That’s why I dismissed vorpX at the beginning. And it did seem to me that vorpX just hooked the game, which was in anaglyph mode due to HelixVision. Regardless, I tried Dragon’s Dogma profile and it worked like a charm. I got both Z3D and G3D. Thanks for your help!

Nick1453
    Participant

On the second thought, now I’m not sure whether it’s really in 3D. I checked all 3D reconstruction options (off, Z3D and G3D) and only Z3D (normal) seems to make a difference.

Ogrescar
    Participant

I haven’t logged onto the game in like forever, but I got on and verified that the Z3D is working. No G3D and the z-adaptive is weak if it even works. You may have better results with a different dx9 profile – Unreal Engine 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil 4 – lot of them to try out. The z-normal with Dragon’s Dogma looked pretty good in the brief moments that I logged in though, so if you’re happy with that then I wouldn’t bother.

Nick1453
    Participant

I tried Mass Effect 3 profile and the result was the same. I also have troubles distinguishing between real 3D and “flat” 3D. Everything seems to be a real one for me. So, I have a paranoia: what if I’m delusional and something I believe is 3D is in reality 2D. But thank you for confirming Z3D working! Although I might try to get HelixVision working (to compare with vorpX and just because I love tinkering), with vorpX I’m calling it a day.

Nick1453
    Participant

HelixVision turned out to be incompatible with SWTOR due to the impossibility of starting swtor.exe directly, bypassing the launcher. Ended up using Tridef with Virtual Desktop and I’m happy with the result. Looks so much better!

Thanks again.

TheLastStarfighter
    Participant

worked fine for me, its got the G3D doll house effect, but I totally dig it.

matteo39
    Participant

i’ve tried with dragons dogma and mass effect, no 3d with z-normal or g3d

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!