Starfield Alpha v0.2

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings User Profiles Starfield Alpha v0.2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ralph
    Participant

Native Z3D of vorpx is working well in this second profile, you don’t need any other external 3D-Driver !

Please install the Vorpx Beta and the vorpx (DX10,11,12) hook helper if you will be asked for. (Rename any other existing dxgi.dll to d3d12.dll in the Game Folder of Starfield, before you install the vorpx hook helper)

You will have a corrected User Interface and HUD, and all other improvements of the first profile after editing these settings of Starfield:

1. Resolution

Set a Square Resolution with Aspect Ratio of 1:1, in the Vorpx Beta enable Virtual Monitor and add a custom Resolution of for exammple 2404×2400 or 2164×2160 etc.

Change or add to the StarfieldPrefs.ini
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Starfield
    keep it writeprotected after changes

[Display]
    bBorderless=0
    bFull Screen=0
    iSize H=2400
    iSize W=2404

(Use a Window and not Fullscreen or Borderless)

2. Remove Aspect Ratio Letterboxes

Use the 010 Editor to change the Hex Values from

8E E3 18 40 (search for)

to

00 00 80 3f (replace all)

(https://www.sweetscape.com/download/010editor/)

3. Field of View (FoV), HUD and Interface

Create a StarfieldCustom.ini
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Starfield
    keep it writeprotected after changes

[Display]
    fWideAspectLimit=1.0
    [Interface]
    fSafeZoneXWide=440
    [Camera]
    fFPWorldFOV=(130)
    fTPWorldFOV=(90)

4. Optional: Install the DLSS mod (Asi Loader)

If you have a Nvidia RTX Card please install,

Starfield FSR2 Bridge – Replacing FSR2 with DLSS or XeSS (without Reshade !)

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/196

With activated DLSS2 or FSR2 i recommend Resolutiions from 1620×1620 up to 2880×2880

5. Deactivate in the graphic settings of Starfield, Dynamic Resolution, Motion Blur, Depth of Field and Film Grain

Bugs:

1. If you lost Headtracking, please switch between the Playstyles Cinema, Immersive, FullVR, (de)-activate Edgepeak to get back to working Headtracking

romandesign
    Participant

Set a Square Resolution with Aspect Ratio of 1:1

Where? Do you mean in the Windows Desktop? Or in Starfield or in VorpX?

romandesign
    Participant

I bought VorpX and tried this profile, and in general, it works, however, I have some problems:

– The picture seems distorted when I move my head: it’s warping, like looking through a thick glass maybe, the perspective seems not to be correct, especially closer to the edges. This is very disorienting. How can I fix this?
    – With the resolution set to 2880×2884 the mouse cursor stops at the top and bottom before reaching the end of the screen, as if there’s a letterbox for it. So some menus etc. are unreachable.
    – I also have some wobble in closer objects. This may be motion reprojection artifacts, not sure.
    – I tried installing “Starfield Frame Generation” mod but the game crashes. This may be the mod problem or a conflict with VorpX.

Ralph
    Participant

I will give you full support in this evening ! (in 6-8 hours)

Ralph
    Participant
    Ralph
    Participant

Set a Square Resolution with Aspect Ratio of 1:1

Where? Do you mean in the Windows Desktop? Or in Starfield or in VorpX?

It is very important that all of my settings will be changed, because they are full coordinated to each other, read the text carefully please it is a little bit work but it is worth it.

In the Vorpx Beta in the vorpx-config-tool enable Virtual Monitor and add a custom Resolution of for example 2404×2400 or 2164×2160 etc.
    (right click on the vorpx-config-tool !)

Ralph
    Participant

I bought VorpX and tried this profile, and in general, it works, however, I have some problems:

– The picture seems distorted when I move my head: it’s warping, like looking through a thick glass maybe, the perspective seems not to be correct, especially closer to the edges. This is very disorienting. How can I fix this?
    – With the resolution set to 2880×2884 the mouse cursor stops at the top and bottom before reaching the end of the screen, as if there’s a letterbox for it. So some menus etc. are unreachable.
    – I also have some wobble in closer objects. This may be motion reprojection artifacts, not sure.
    – I tried installing “Starfield Frame Generation” mod but the game crashes. This may be the mod problem or a conflict with VorpX.

You have the wrong perspective, and the problem with the mouse cursor stops at letterbox, because the aspect ratio of 1:1, the square resolution, the removed letterboxes, the window mode instead of borderless or fullscreen, the FOV, the HUD and the interface are full coordinated to each other.

You can improve your image quality by installing reshade and use for example smartsharp or fakeHDR. Reshade has tons of shader to modify the game for your needs. With your RTX 4090 and the resolution of 2880×2880 smartsharp is higly recommend.

But in general you will have to tolerate a little flickering there, and some missing texture or shader there, and a little bit distortion when you move head it looks through a thick glass.

You need the initial experience that you will forget all those things when your game is at its biggest moments, and you will sit back and say only “Wow, i will never play any game without VR !”

You brain will remove these little troubles after a longer time using vorpx. You will get like smell blind or like operationally blind for those little bugs.

I promise you after you have finished Starfield and for example Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty and Baldurs Gate 3 with vorpx in VR, then you will agree with me.

romandesign
    Participant

I’ve done all your settings as I understood them. I added custom resolution of 2880×2884 to the custom virtual monitor on VorpX. I do have 2 resolution in the list there, one already was there with 3000+ – how do I select which one is used though?
    I think the main problem POV settings is ignored in the .ini file. I changed it to 150 to check and I see no difference at all. If I can solve that, it looks that other things would be OK.

In the intro cave I had 90FPS steady (Reverb G2 max). First room after the intro feels smooth too. So there’s hope that performance will be OK. But I need to figure out why POV is not taking…

Ralph
    Participant

Which Version of the game to you use ?

Steam and other:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Starfield\

Microsoft Store:

xboxGames\Starfield\Content\Starfield.ini

You can activate the vorpx virtual monitor, if you will click right mouse button on the vorpx-config-tool. The menu which you then see includes the option enable the virtual monitor. After that open the windows settings and go to the display and resolution settings. You can see two ore more monitors, and one of them is the vorpx virtual monitor, it is the one which offers your 2884×2880 resolution select it and change the resolution to 2884×2880.

After that change or add to the StarfieldPrefs.ini (!)
    (not the StarfieldCustom.ini)

keep it writeprotected after changes (!)

[Display]
    bBorderless=0
    bFull Screen=0
    iSize H=2880
    iSize W=2884

In the Starfield ingame graphic settings the resolution has to be greyed out, You have to use a window with white border and buttons all other things. Vorpx will show you a correct output without the window border etc. after vorpx hooked the game on your Headset Display. But it is possible that you have to switch between the displays in the Starfield ingame graphic settings to the vorpx virtual monitor.

I will help you to install my mod, you are very near to the goal !

Ralph
    Participant

Have you already changed the Hex Values ?

romandesign
    Participant

The FOV settings you listed are different from the wiki and other examples. You have it as

[Camera]
    fFPWorldFOV=(130)
    fTPWorldFOV=(90)

I think the brackets are not supposed to be there:

[Camera]
    fFPWorldFOV=130
    fTPWorldFOV=90

Maybe that’s why FOV settings are ignored with my setup? I’ll try it and report. It definitely feels way too zoomed in in VR, that’s why I changed it to 150 and realized that FOV is not working at all. That would also explain the prominent distortion. It may become better with larger FOV.

Ralph
    Participant

That’s it ! And I wondered how minimal the 3D effect is in Starfield, more FOV means more 3D !

Great News thank you !

dellrifter22
    Participant

Just in case: remember to not include the ()’s in the FOV settings. They should look like this:

[Camera]
    fFPWorldFOV=130
    fTPWorldFOV=130

And notice there are 2 separate ini files. StarfieldPrefs.ini and StarfieldCustom.ini. The Custom one needs to be created from scratch into the same folder as the Prefs one. Each needs it’s own [Dispaly] section and lines as listed in Daves post.

Thanks Dave for figuring things out. I’m not sure you really need the hex edit though. I used it initially, but changed back to my original backup and it seems to behave the same. I think the
    fWideAspectLimit=1.0 does the trick on it’s own – no black bars. I set mine to 1.33 though to use a 4:3 res (3200×2400)

The vanilla FSR2 works fine with my Z3D, though certain scale factors can mess it up. Like the slider default 67% works fine at 3200×2400, but garbled at 2880×2160, which I set to 80% to fix. I’m using the Grounded profile as a base. Resident Evil Village works also, but I found the depth weighting a bit too strong at minimum. It would still be great to get a real one from Ralf with Starfield specific values though.

Anyhow, fun so far. Tonight was mainly testing, but tomorrow will start the journey.

romandesign
    Participant

Yes, I can confirm that removing the brackets fixed it! It’s so much better! The only thing that could be better is some weird 3D-related garbage – someitmes parts of the image have wobbly artifacts, then after reloading the save, same exact spots are fine. Not sure what the problem is…

luka2099
    Participant

You must use cheatengine for change fov of weapon viewmodel(fov of your hand and weapon)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!