Starfield Alpha v0.2

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings User Profiles Starfield Alpha v0.2

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dellrifter22
    Participant

I’ve noticed with the beta vorpX that changing between 3D modes (from G3D back to Z3D) in games can cause a wavey blur around depth object edges. Maybe this is the wobble effect you are describing.

Not sure what change was made to cause this, but it can be avoided by not switching between 3D modes in the delete key menu. If you do by accident, or press related hotkey switch, you may need to restart your game to clear the effect.

dellrifter22
    Participant

If you are seeing checkered patches type of artifacts it is probably a problem with the upscaler setting. I use the built in FSR which works fine, although certain values can cause artifacts. I just move the slider to test what works stable.

Also turn off the dynamic resolution setting just above the slider to be safe.

romandesign
    Participant

I have a suspicion that my POV settings from StarfieldCustom.ini are ignored…

You must use cheatengine for change fov of weapon viewmodel(fov of your hand and weapon)

Can you elaborate on that? It’s the most problematic part so far.

romandesign
    Participant

You must use cheatengine for change fov of weapon viewmodel(fov of your hand and weapon)

Can you elaborate on that? It’s the most problematic part so far.

dellrifter22
    Participant

You don’t really need cheatengine here, I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe the viewmodel distance isn’t perfect with all guns, but good enough I’d say.

While maybe a little redundant, here is what my StarfieldCustom looks like, that is working pretty good for me: (It’s a combination of lines I’ve seen others mention in forums. My headset has a smaller vertical FOV than average, so I use a smaller 120 with vorpX image zoom reduced to 0.82, so that my image is a little sharper. The less zoom you can get away with, the more pixel dense your image will appear. But most may want to follow Daves advice for 130 or more at 0.95 vorpX zoom)

StarfieldCustom.ini

[Archive]
    bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
    sResourceDataDirsFinal=

[Display]
    fDefault1stPersonFOV=120
    fDefaultFOV=120
    fDefaultWorldFOV=120
    fFPWorldFOV=120.0000
    fTPWorldFOV=120.0000
    # Aspect ratio 4:3 use 1.33 , for 1:1 ratio use 1.00
    fWideAspectLimit=1.33

[Camera]
    fDefault1stPersonFOV=120
    fDefaultFOV=120
    fDefaultWorldFOV=120
    fFPWorldFOV=120.0000
    fTPWorldFOV=120.0000

[Interface]
    fSafeZoneXWide=440

[Dialogue]
    # Anything over 1 eliminates the camera/collision zoom
    fDialogueCameraCollisionRadius=2

# Dialogue Camera FP FOV
    fDialogueCameraFailsafeFPFOV=55

———————————————————–

That last line is for NPC dialogue zoom. I’ve found that 105 will eliminate zoom, but I prefer a zoom to 55 so that I can better see their faces.

I saw it mentioned that the gun models can sometimes look very low poly and blocky. I have encountered this too and tested several things. I’m not sure how to fix it, but I know it’s not vorpX that is doing it – it happens with vorpX off. It’s something about the game not liking different aspect ratios I think. I’ve read others who play normally encounter this too, but only when outdoors. Indoors the models look fine. It may either be a bug or an optimization for the large out doors. Fortunately our attention isn’t really focused on the gun when we get it out to use it anyway.

Yes, you can turn off the crosshair in game Interface settings if you want. I did that first thing.

Regarding the ship cockpit view, I don’t’ think the game allows you to freely look around the cockpit. Basic vorpX headtracking is mouse based and can only do what the in game mouse can do. That said, you can use the EdgePeeK feature (middle mouse click is default I believe) that lets you at least look around the screen a little. Until there are proper mods for cockpit flying, I don’t think you’re going to get that experience you are looking for.

One last tip that is helping my experience so far is an edit to movement speed. I find the walking too slow, but the jogging too fast. With a simple command I now use a slow jog to move around at a brisk walking pace. Until the Kit is released we can’t change speeds individually, but we can set the base line for all foot movement.

In the same directory as Starfield.exe, create a text document called mspeed.txt

in mspeed.txt create the line:

player.setav speedmult 50.25

Save and close. Once in game, open the command console (default tilde key ` or ~ by the 1 key) and type:

bat mspeed

This should stick with your save file, and only need to be done once. In my testing I found that the number must be higher than 50, so 50.25 was my preference. This makes the slow walk very very slow, but the jog is now more of a brisk walk. Might looks a little strange in 3rd person, but feels good in 1st. default speed is 100. If you’d rather increase the slow walk speed you can try 125 or higher, but it will also speed up your running.

Just be warned that any use of console commands may disable your steam achievements, if you care about any of that. Though I’ve read there are already mods to re-enable the achievements if you want.

Ralph
    Participant

@dellrifter22

Hey, can you upload your private profile to the cloud ? I will recommend the profile then in my next Starfield Thread. The Thread will be only a summary of the best settings, mods and hacks for VR. I will name it “Starfield VR – Game Hints and Settings” and not Starfield Alpha ! Can i list some of your settings from this thread to my new one, too ? I will give you a short thank you again !

In my opinion we need summaries for game settings, thus the user don’t have to read full threads with 20 pages. I will create a summary of the best settings for Baldur’s Gate 3 and in two weeks for Phantom Liberty,too.

romandesign
    Participant

StarfieldCustom.ini

Thanks for sharing this and other details, much appreciated! There are definitely new settings for me here to explore. What’s the best resource about .ini settings etc.? You found more things that I saw listed where I looked.

Weapon low-poly bug is indeed a separate thing from VorpX. I was going crazy, because any weapon becomes a mangled mess, impossible to aim down site, unreadable ammo display etc. The funny thing is that if I switch to a 3rd person view – it’s fine! Only the 1st person view is bugged. Very rough and unrealistic 3D around hands and weapon area doesn’t help the problem. It’s so fugly. I wish there was a way to even flatten out the hands+weapon. Other 3D has minor issues that are not very obvious and can be ignored. But huge halo and blockiness in the hand area just can’t be ignored. Though maybe with a proper weapon model the 3D will become better in this area? For me this is a big deal as I can’t aim properly and can’t see ammo count, and it’s annoying as hell – and gaming is for having fun, not stressing out.

It looks like the multiple random 3D glitches I mentioned before were the result of DLSS mod, at least in part. I uninstalled it and tried stock FSR and in a few minutes I tried I saw no random blocky glitches. I think some minor wobbliness can still occur, and I think it may be a WMR Motion Reprojection artifacts, but disabling motion projection I got FPS in 70-80 area, which are not enough for a completely smooth visuals, so enabling it a locking at 45 is the smoothest experience.

romandesign
    Participant

I saw it mentioned that the gun models can sometimes look very low poly and blocky.

Where did you see it discussed? I better follow up and see if the solution is found…

Ralph
    Participant

I did tests at the moment with dlss 3.5 and it’s crap, i see something like Fireflys everywhere, and i can recommend you to stay at dlss 2.5.1 !
    Even the reshade version of dlss is crap, the only one which works with all setups is the asi loader version.

Ralph
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!