Suggestion. Allow larger screen in immersive mode

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Suggestion. Allow larger screen in immersive mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jey123456
    Participant

Many games dont really work that well with full vr due to how moving your head also end up moving the cursor (as opposed to just moving the camera which obviously would require case by case implementation / direct vr).

A great workaround for those is to up the resolution, use immersive screen and shrink the ui down in the middle. allowing you for some head movement in all direction without taking over the mouse.

Problem i often hit tho, is that to be perfect, id need the screen to be bigger, but it wont let you offset it further back than “0.0” which basically is the same size as the largest you can get in cinema mode.

an option to let you scale the screen beyond that would be great. the way i see it, immersive should let you have the screen be larger than your view, so that you can move your head around a bit and still be looking at the game and not the background.

While were at it, black background on immersive mode would also be swell, the default one can get rather irritating in some games, especially generally bright game since the border of the screen end up white.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you want to get even closer thna the min. distance, there is a simple ‘trick’: lean back 30cm, hit ALT+SPACE to recenter tracking and return to your normal position.

I would only do this for games that allow to raise the FOV somehow though. Games with a typical monitor FOV start to become uncomfortable when you get too close. That’s the reason for the chosen min. distance, which almost fills your entire view but still works comfortably with a relatively low FOV.

The method above works perfectly fine without any side effects though, so you can easily get as close to the screen as you want.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Well maybe only side effect being a bit of strain from continued rubbernecking back and forth. Or is that headbanging? 🤘

Ha, maybe not, but still not ideal for hmds with drift that need recentering every half minute or so. I love that you can use the Pimax headsets without setting up external sensors, but it does require you have a finger always over that recenter key.

Jey123456
    Participant

leaning back is not an option as i do not have movement tracking, only orientation. with a pimax 8k.

as far as drift goes, at least on my unit it has not been a problem. I only need to recenter every few hours at most.

I perfectly understand it not being viable for every games, and thats fine. But at least, in fortresscraft it would be magical.

Jey123456
    Participant

I can’t believe that enabling such an option would be lot of work, considering it seem to just be an arbitrary value set. Even if it came with a warning or requiring manual editing of a file id be fine with it, but its really an option id pay for xD.

Immersive doesnt feel like it has any use when the screen size is limited to basically the same as cinema.

jjensson
    Participant

I’m glad that we have the options that are available ATM, but that’s not to say that there couldn’t be more of them, if need arises.

I fully support Jey123456’s suggestion to be able to set the “immersive screen” closer.

nieda113
    Participant

Same here….. i dont need those restrictions,, i want to decide myself and dont want software to decide whats good for my game experience. How i loved dk2 and vorpx.

Ralf
    Keymaster

OK guys, you won :) . Before we get a lengthy discussion here about less than a pinky finger’s width of a visible bar in immersive screen mode that 99% of you (everyone with a headset that has positional tracking) can easily get rid of themselves in 1 sec., I’ll adjust the minimum distance slightly.

@ nieda: Immersive screen mode didn’t even exist in the DK2 days. You can easily not use it and turn off everything that makes your life easier if you prefer the DK2-vorpX-experience.

RJK_
    Participant

@Ralf
    Perhaps a warning (red bar) would make sense like “changing default setting may have impact on FOV” or similar, for the unexperienced user.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Good idea, done already that way. I settled for a blue one (important) instead of a red one (warning). Should be obvious enough.

jjensson
    Participant

Very cool! Can’t wait for my Rift S to arrive and start exploring VorpX.

Jey123456
    Participant

Marvelous, cant wait to try it out.

OK guys, you won 🙂 . Before we get a lengthy discussion here about less than a pinky finger’s width of a visible bar in immersive screen mode that 99% of you (everyone with a headset that has positional tracking) can easily get rid of themselves in 1 sec., I’ll adjust the minimum distance slightly.

its not so much about the bars that show up, its about the experience. The way i plan on using it, is rendering my game in 8k with a very high fov, then have the immersive screen be 1.5-2times larger than the viewport on my headset, with the game ui shrinked down to be comfortable in the middle. This would it would give me more or less the ability to look around, but without it affecting the cursor position.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

its not so much about the bars that show up, its about the experience. The way i plan on using it, is rendering my game in 8k with a very high fov, then have the immersive screen be 1.5-2times larger than the viewport on my headset, with the game ui shrinked down to be comfortable in the middle. This would it would give me more or less the ability to look around, but without it affecting the cursor position.

Depending on the game, I do something similar. I like putting it in cinema mode, set the background to black, then make the screen large enough so that it encompasses my entire view. This makes everything look a little too flat, but again, it depends on the game if that’s an issue. It’s kind of a dice roll if the FOV is locked or not and / or if the screen depth option is enough. It’s bizarre how it works, on some games, I can’t imagine going past 2.0 on screen depth, on others, even 5.0 can seem too low.

Jey123456
    Participant

Depending on the game, I do something similar. I like putting it in cinema mode, set the background to black, then make the screen large enough so that it encompasses my entire view. This makes everything look a little too flat, but again, it depends on the game if that’s an issue. It’s kind of a dice roll if the FOV is locked or not and / or if the screen depth option is enough. It’s bizarre how it works, on some games, I can’t imagine going past 2.0 on screen depth, on others, even 5.0 can seem too low.

And yes, offcourse its not for everygame, there are some games where even the current max size feel too big. but thats fine, its why i want it as an option and not just default setting.

Speaking off, when can we get this tweak ? I’ve been impatiently waiting for it

Ralf
    Keymaster

Has been implemented with 19.2.0. You can now apply a negative value for the distance offset.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!