The Spectrum Retreat – Improve my profile?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings The Spectrum Retreat – Improve my profile?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Twinguistics
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve decided to have a stab at making my first profile and I’ve chosen something that looked quite simple – The Spectrum Retreat. It was free on Epic a few weeks ago and it’s a simple first person game. I’ve shared it with you and and was wondering if perhaps someone who also got the game for free could check it out and give me feedback/tips on how to improve. It’s full VR G3D and works ok but it feels a little off. It would be awesome if someone could make some adjustments to improve it and then explain to me what you did.

This might be a long shot but it would be great if someone could take a look.

Thanks!

Smoils
    Participant

Here is a tip – profile is not G3D(at least for steam version, but I am certain in this particular case versions are same)

It’s a common mistake to kinda see 3D especially with head tracking since motion helps your brain tell depth of things. Ive done it myself – believing there is 3d depth when there is none, but now I cant fool myself as easily. You can check it yourself – turn off headtracking, switch to immersive screen and look away from screen, then open vorpx menu (this way it wont be over game screen) then switch between z3d, g3d and off and you will see no difference. When depth is there there is no doubt, you dont have to kinda see it, because it jumps at you. Game start is in a hotel room and you get to hotel corridor and corridors are one of best things to test depth – you see it clearly when there is one.

I wanted to find a unity profile that would actually work (even if just z3d) and Ive tried all unity 2017 (that game uses) profiles from other games of same unity version and none had any depth. Best I could achieve is having main menu background and mouse on a separate plane. Whats more game has 0 graphic options, cant adjust fov or anything and there are no 3rd party apps to hax for unity like universal unreal unlocker is for ue games, no config files. So it makes adjusting a game even harder.

Anyways Im quite tired of trying like a hundred profiles with absolutely no success so far, so only advice I have for you is to make absolutely sure there is actual depth in game, people have been fooled many times including me (good example is doom 2016 that people were sure had 3d, while even Ralf said it just seemed so)

Smoils
    Participant

And as I typed all that I found out a profile that worked or a reason so many didnt, I dont want to recheck it all, but alt. hooking method on seems to be a reason this (and maybe other ones) didnt work in G3D. I even checked yours again to be sure it wasnt alt hooking disabling g3d, but couldnt see depth.

Anyways Ive uploaded one that works for me for a steam version I have, but as another issue shader authoring refuses to save so I cant fix ui (crosshair and captions) looking weird and disable some glitchy shadows. I mean I can, but it doesnt save and has to be dont each launch. Gonna make a bug report.

Smoils
    Participant

I ended up playing it on desktop.

There is one major issue for playing it in vr – FOV
    I can hax wider fov with vorpx tool, but then game doesnt know it needs to render for wide fov and you end up with objects disappearing at the edges. There are some minor issues with shadows in G3D too and vorpx doesnt save shader authoring edits for some reason, but fov is the worst issue

Best way to play modern games especially ones that might have shadow or other artifacts is Z3D but for one all z3d profiles I could find for it were mediocre depth and a bit buggy and again – since fov hax is only for g3d and game has absolutely no means (maybe cheat engine hax) to increase fov it is very uncomfortable and even sickening.

Only way to deal with small fov is to move screen further away from you like playing a console on a tv (thats one of reasons console games have low fov) but thats not enjoyable in vr.

High FOV and high Res are like 2 major must have things to play games in vr in vorpx in enjoyable manner and if either fails it wont be a good time.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I played through half the game tonight, pretty fun.

I put a third profile on the cloud (based on Unity 5) with a few problematic G3D shaders now disabled, the way you intended. For the limited FOV, I found a screen zoom at 0.70 with a slight 0.20 forced fov enhancement was good compromise in my HPG1.

I used a 16:9 aspect ratio (2560×1440) with BEST graphics setting.

I assigned the bright white bloom effect to the G3D Shadow Treatment toggle. So if it bothers you, you can switch it OFF in the vorpX menu.

Hopefully there are no new problems in the last half of the game, I’ll have to check later.

Smoils
    Participant

So shader edits you did saved for you?

I need to test in other games and see if its everywhere for me and then see if other people have that problem.

I found it comfortable to have like 0.69 fov enchantment through vorpx menu and just ignore culling errors since its not middle of a screen.

I just started getting sick during testing trying different profiles and things to adjust which I blame on low fov.

And again I did try unity 5 profile too on 1st attempt along with too many others, but it all turned out to be a problem of using “alt hooking” setting, which doesnt sound obvious by its nature (I mean vorpx hooks to game, just fails to do the thing). Its just a useful thing I’ve gotten out of this experience and you should consider it for future profiles too.

Twinguistics
    Participant

I played through half the game tonight, pretty fun.

I put a third profile on the cloud (based on Unity 5) with a few problematic G3D shaders now disabled, the way you intended. For the limited FOV, I found a screen zoom at 0.70 with a slight 0.20 forced fov enhancement was good compromise in my HPG1.

I used a 16:9 aspect ratio (2560×1440) with BEST graphics setting.

I assigned the bright white bloom effect to the G3D Shadow Treatment toggle. So if it bothers you, you can switch it OFF in the vorpX menu.

Hopefully there are no new problems in the last half of the game, I’ll have to check later.

Hey totally forgot to keep checking this topic! Thanks for trying and for the tips above. It’s crazy that I thought mine was 3d but it’s clearly not.

Just tried yours and it’s great. I do have a really noob question though, how do you get the resolution higher than your monitor allows? Thanks!

dellrifter22
    Participant

General instructions are listed here.

It can depend on how cooperative your monitor is, but in general you can type in any resolution and click Test to see what passes and what fails. I can usually double my monitors native resolution before it starts having trouble. Anything that passes the test is saved to a list that will show up in your games to select.

Twinguistics
    Participant

General instructions are listed here.

It can depend on how cooperative your monitor is, but in general you can type in any resolution and click Test to see what passes and what fails. I can usually double my monitors native resolution before it starts having trouble. Anything that passes the test is saved to a list that will show up in your games to select.

Great, thanks! I’ll try that out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!