The zoomed-in problem

Homepage Forums Technical Support The zoomed-in problem

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

For Metro you shouldn’t even need to touch the image zoom.

Normally it should be possible to use the vorpX Game Optimizer (maybe plus image zoom for minor adjustment). If that fails, you can however set it in an ini file.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=german&id=171711333

You will have to experiment with the actual value. It may also be different for the Redux version of the game. Use Google in this case (Metro Redux FOV).

If setting the value via the correct ini fails, something is severely wrong on your setup.

feathers632
    Participant

Yes and the vorpx optimiser has been taking effect. It worked for Dishonored for example so I know that’s not the issue. Because metro LL was still so zoomed I tried going more extreme with the FOV from user.cfg. That didn’t help. Using vorpx image zoom and increasing vorpx FOV helped a bit but still not enough for correct image.

I think the IPD was wrong for my eyes. Surely the IPD can’t be correct for everyone or else you wouldn’t have adjustment for it in game?

:)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Setting the IPD has next to nothing to do with this issue.

As said above, if not even actually changing the FOV manually in the right ini for the game changes anything, there has to be something severly wrong with your game installation / setup. There is nothing I can recommend in this case.

feathers632
    Participant

But the game looks good since I changed IPD in vorpx menu!

:)

IPD is 67 now. Default was lower. Also upped the stereo depth and reduced the vorpx zoom.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not sure how changing the IPD would change anything in regard to the field of view, but I’m glad it helped.

Reducing the image zoom was clearly the right thing to do.

feathers632
    Participant

I’ve been spending time with Crysis 3, Arma III and other games and all have this zoomed in view that makes them unplayable. Adjusting FOV to 120 doesn’t help here and IPD also doesn’t make any difference.

So it seems like the only way I can play these games is with cinema mode which isn’t as immersive and I can’t look all around me.

I’m really starting to feel like I’m wasting my time with it. Trying to reduce the zoomed in view on every game. I use the game optimisations and in some cases manually edit the game’s FOV but the games still don’t look right.

Does it make a difference which Nvidia graphics driver? I’m using an older one: 350.12

The whole thing is starting to really annoy me because it’s so far removed from the visuals I get with native oculus games.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As already said the instructions from the Essential Game Hints in the vorpX help that are pasted in several times above REALLY contain everything you need to know to solve this issue in every single game. Often perfect, sometimes with a compromise.

And of course setting the FOV to 120° makes a difference if successful. Not sure how I should explain that to you. With a wider field of view you, well, get a wider field of view. This and nothing else has to be done to get the optimal result.

However, if setting the FOV is not possible for a game or fails on your machine for whatever reason, use one of the workarounds mentioned in the instructions like image scale etc.

feathers632
    Participant

I know what you’re saying makes sense. I have to think more logically about the problem. So it occurs to me that if the FOV is changed to 120 for a particular game that should be very apparent when I play the game without oculus. It would give a very wide angle lens look. So I went into Arma 3 without oculus and the FOV was just default. Even though I’d used the vorpx ingame optimisations.

http://hia3.com/tools/ArmA_3_wide-angle_FOV_calculator_online_by_Hi,A3.htm

I found this FOV calculator for Arma 3 and edited the file myself and the FOV set manually to 120 is correct. I haven’t checked it out with Oculus on yet but it should be good. So the question is why the FOV isn’t being set by ingame optimisations. I’ve tried setting vorpx to admin mode.

There is another problem…

I have to reinstall vorpx numerous times per day. If I close vorpx down to try a game without it, then after exit game and restart vorpx – I am guaranteed vorpx will crash with error code 3. Rebooting windows makes no difference. Once the error code comes it’s permanent until I reinstall vorpx. After reinstall, vorpx works ok again.

Any idea what could be corrupting it?

I’m careful to make sure skype and steam are closed before I start vorpx but this crashing occurs whenever I’ve closed down vorpx and then restart it (without rebooting windows).

It just corrupted again: Error code 5.

feathers632
    Participant

The games are looking good when the FOV is changed to 120. I have to set the FOV manually though.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you by any chance using two different users on your PC, an admin user, and a normal user with less rights? This would explain the sanity check fails, as in this case vital files are copied into the admin users user dir during the install, which later can’t be found when running vorpX as the normal user.

If this is the case, please give your normal user admin rights during the vorpX install. Or better don’t use different users at all. Since the introduction of UAC in Windows Vista there isn’t really a security advantage in doing this for a home pc that is only used by you.

feathers632
    Participant

I only ever login with one account and that is showing as:

Admin
    Password protected.

I have windows 8.1 set to automatically login each boot cos I hate that manual sign in that windows has by default.

User account control only shows 1 account existing.

UAC is on default level.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If vorpX can’t find files required to run, which is what the error codes mean, something is severely wrong with your install.

feathers632
    Participant

Vorpx is on C: drive.
    Steam is installed on C: but all of the steam games are installed on G: drive (another SSD).

I wouldn’t know where to begin with this issue. I was running Vereio perception ok but I understand that’s different software.

Maybe installing vorpx in admin mode would help but I may have tried that already.

Ralf
    Keymaster

All I can say from here is that something is wrong if these error codes occur, which is extremely rare. May be a rights issue, a hard drive defect, a corrupt Windows install, a virus etc. etc. Can’t say anything else to this unfortunately.

feathers632
    Participant

Unless maybe it’s Comodo internet security? Vorpx is “allowed” but nevertheless the sandbox has been active for some windows stuff.

I can’t see an option to completely disable the sandbox.

I might try uninstal comodo.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!