upcoming intel quad-core CPUs: is 8 threads better than 4 for vorpx?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion upcoming intel quad-core CPUs: is 8 threads better than 4 for vorpx?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LawnmowerMan
    Participant

intel has two quad-core processors coming out soon that i am considering for vorpx. One says it’s got 4 threads and the other for over $100 more says it has 8 threads. Does 8 threads on a quad-core processor offer a significant performance boost over 4 for vorpx?

bob24
    Participant

id be surprised if even some games would use 4 cores still. so having said that, intel coming out with new 8 core processors 16 threads most likely to compete with the prices of amd. I would doubt we’ll see any games that needs this much for a long long time. and by then ddr5 will have come out and youll need to upgrade again for that. more games will most likely come out using more cores, 4 core 8 threads for most applications will still be overkill, if you’re having this thought on saving 100.00 id save up to get more ram at least 32 gb ram wich is not cheap right now.. and a ssd , especially that we’re talking about vr in the first place, wich we are already seeing minimum requirements of unlocked cpus and 16gb ram. I just upgraded from a 4 cores to a 4 core 8 threads and vorpx is about the same.

steph12
    Participant

no, what matters with vorpx is the frequency of your cpu. the higher the frequency the higher the fps you will get. and of course that depends also of the game optimization.

prinyo
    Participant

So, what is the best CPU at the moment for Skyrim/FONV with VorpX.
    I want to upgrade my i7-4790 but I’m completely lost. The only thing I understand is that I need a model that ends with K and then overclock it.

bob24
    Participant

if you don’t need to upgrade you should wait 5-6 months for the new generation of intel cpu since it is more core it should make the prices of the 7700k go down by quite a bit or the newer 1800x. this generation does make higher memory work better and vr does take a lot of memory and fast memory too.

LawnmowerMan
    Participant

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-x-core-i9-7920x-7900x-7820x-7800x-x299-leaked/
    there’s a chart under text comparing these two processors. The text states exactly as followers for anyone wanting to CTRL+F search it: Intel Kaby Lake-X Lineup

That’s what has me wondering if one was better than the other for VorpX. Maybe you are right stephx and it is only the clock speed that would matter. But I think if a processor has 8 threads but is only 4 cores then they are maybe an enhancement of some kind like a processor using hyperthreading to have extra logical cores. Intel can’t be charing that extra ~$100 for just 2 more MB’s of cache?

NipOc
    Participant

Processors with many cores aren’t for games, they’re for servers, video editing, rendering…

If you really want to update the cpu for games and price isn’t an issue you should choose the 7820X, more cores are probably overkill for the next years.
    The extra cores won’t give a big performance boost, but it should still be a bit faster in modern games, might be a bit slower in older ones.

LawnmowerMan
    Participant

price is a big consideration unfortunately. But I must become worthy of the PC master race once more only because of apps like VorpX and the game Beam.NG Drive. But after 6 years of little advancement in CPUs it’s still hard to justify a CPU upgrade without finding the ultimate bang-for-the-buck value.

NipOc
    Participant

The i7-7640X probably has the best bang-for-the-buck.
    The i7-7740X will only be ~0-10% faster in most games.

Both can be easily overclocked, so clock shouldn’t be an issue.

Fredthehound
    Participant

Prinyo,

I went from a 4790k to a 7700k both overclocked to 4.8 and the difference was significant. I also went from 2400DDR3 to 4266 DDR4 that I run at 3200mhz (motherboard limited).

If I had it to do over, I would do the same thing. Ram speed is the REALLY important thing here. The faster the better. The 4790K is limited in VR by it’s max ram speed. Otherwise it would be fine.

LawnmowerMan
    Participant

I went from a 4790k to a 7700k both overclocked to 4.8 and the difference was significant. I also went from 2400DDR3 to 4266 DDR4 that I run at 3200mhz (motherboard limited).

About how much faster in vorpx was this upgrade?

Fredthehound
    Participant

In Skyrim/Fallout 4 with a lot of mods and 1.4 supersampling/1920×1440, I probably gained 10FPS to my minimum framerate in the worst of areas. Enough to keep me at or very near 45fps most of the time. However, the overall increase in the smoothness of play was the really important thing. Being able to shuffle the textures in and out and thus process the draw call load faster makes all the difference when framerate drops under 45. It stays smoother/less stuttery for a longer time.

There are a few other factors to consider. Steam VR has had several updates that have made great strides in smoothing things out as well as has VorpX itself with the updates. But when looking solely at the 7700k and ram upgrade, it is a very noticeable impact on gameplay and certainly worth the cash.

When playing at the stock VorpX resolution/2x supersampling and that 100+ mod load (heavy graphics/texture/weather) I stay locked at 45fps with no issues at all… and that was impossible before with that degree of modding.

prinyo
    Participant

In Skyrim/Fallout 4

Is this the Classic Skyrim or SSE (the Special Edition)?

I stay locked at 45fps with no issues at all

Is this with Geometry or with another 3D mode set in VorpX?

I have decided to upgrade from my current i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz to a CPU that is the best possible to run Oldrim with VorpX but I’m now completely lost.
    I have been asking around and it seems i7 – 4790K @ 4GHz is considered “the best” CPU to run Oldrim flat. But I get the feeling when people say “the best” they also consider the price as a factor and are willing to ignore small performance improvements if the price difference is too big.

Added:

I went from a 4790k to a 7700k both overclocked to 4.8

How do you overclock to 4.8? From what I read people have problems reaching 4.5.

Fredthehound
    Participant

Yup, Classic/Oldrim Geometry mode.

In my opinion, “The best” is a 7700K clocked to 5Ghz running the fastest ram you can get your hands on and run stably. I have that setup except I can’t keep it cool for long sessions with my current AIO. However it will handle 4.8Ghz with no issues.I also had to back my ram down to 3200, again, for long term stability with my Z170 Maximus. I havent upgraded to the new bios so I’ll try increasing ram speed again once I do.

The 4790K is a monster CPU but is ram speed limited. Once Nvidia released the Pascal cards, all the old wisdom went flying out the window. A 1080 or higher can move so much data that ram speed becomes an issue. To be clear, all the old wisdom/tests/benchmarks no longer apply. The high framerate FPS games and the open world/VR games run high rez really benefit from raw ram speed/bandwidth.

And unfortunately thats where the 4790K takes a beating as Haswell can only run about 2400ish mhz.

Now thats not to say that a 4790K is a dog or sucks in any way/shape or form. It’s just that the Kaby Lake chips are better suited due to handling faster ram and a couple hundred mhz faster overclock potential.

On a 1-10 scale, you could say if a 7700k is a 10, then a 4790K running 2400 ram would be an 8. When you get into the actual game however, the difference seems a lot greater.

Fredthehound
    Participant

(EDIT Liquid cool it. I got 4.9 on that chip (the 4790K) once but it was running too hot.4.7-8 on water is pretty normal.

The 7700K I have had at 5Ghz but as above, it needs a bigger cooler to do it stably/reliably)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!