upcoming intel quad-core CPUs: is 8 threads better than 4 for vorpx?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion upcoming intel quad-core CPUs: is 8 threads better than 4 for vorpx?

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Fredthehound
    Participant

Lawnmower Man…”That’s what has me wondering if one was better than the other for VorpX. Maybe you are right stephx and it is only the clock speed that would matter.”

When I got my Titan XP (original version) I spent a ton of time with the benchmark/monitoring programs watching GPU/CPU usage in both VR and flatscreen gaming. I was trying to determine what to move up to for CPU from my 4790k.

Fallout 4 uses all the cores/threads in descending order of utlization.
    Same for Skyrim SE

Skyrim classic uses the first 2 cores heavily and the next two marginally.

Eventually, core count will matter more than clock speed but right now, Lower core/High clock (an I7 4 core/8 thread) will still beat a multicore monster chip. It’s all in the game’s coding and they are just starting to code for efficient multicore use.

Right now, I think a 7700K is still the best bet. It will be at least 2 years IMO, now that Threadripper/I9 chips are a thing, before the software is able/coded to fully use all that resource. By that time, there will be newer/better CPUs on the market so I think that the 7700K is the best bet for an upgrade ‘today’ in a gaming focused machine.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!