Use rift s controller instead of keyboard/mouse .cyberpunk

Homepage Forums Technical Support Use rift s controller instead of keyboard/mouse .cyberpunk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    peachesthepom
    Participant

Anyone know how why I can only use the keyboard and mouse in cyberpunk with the rift s, I can’t seam to find the setting to allow rift controllers in-game. In the loading screen the controllers work fine with motion controls. But second I start the game I can only move with the keyboard

Ralf
    Keymaster

Assuming you mean the standalone Cyberpunk mod:

That’s weird, per default they are set to emulate a gamepad. Only thing i can think of right now that maybe you changed the game’s gamepad bindings?

If not, you can alternatively emulate mouse and keyboard with motion controllers. Not really recommended though, you’d have to bind controls manually for that since they aren’t predefined.

All motion controller related settings can be found on the motion controller page of the ingame menu.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Overall great mod, thank you for making it. But I have this same issue as peaches and it’s causing a lot of problems. I am using Quest 2 controllers through Link (which I saw from some posts is Ralf’s setup). Setting the controls to gamepad works in the Vorpx launch tutorial, all of the gestures work, but then the game does not recognize any anything I do on the Quest 2 controllers. Even the mouse doesn’t move when I push the joysticks.

If I switch the controls to keyboard and mouse in the Vorpx settings, then the game recognizes everything. But that actually creates its own problems. Most of the gestures still work in K/M mode, but the flick gesture does not reload and it’s impossible to throw grenades. Unfortunate, but I can work around that with key bindings.

The bigger problem is that it is impossible to bind all of the necessary controls onto the controllers because for some inexplicable reason Vorpx does not allow me to bind about half of buttons on the keyboard. You can hit them a million times and they just won’t register in the Vorpx key binding process. For example, G comes bound to the right shift trigger by default. But G is one of the many keys that cannot be bound for some reason. So if you bind something else to that trigger and override the G key binding that it starts with, there is no way to get that G back. After some trial and error, I kept the G where it started and then rebound G to something useful in the Cyberpunk key bindings. But it still wasn’t enough because there are a LOT of keys like G that are impossible to bind to the controller in Vorx, except they were never bound in the first place.

Then a bunch of the keys that are available to be bound to the controller in Vorpx (e.g., left/right ctrl, alts) just won’t do what they are bound to do in the Cyberpunk settings. I spent hours and hours trying every configuration to make it work, but I just barely ran out of available keys that Vorpx allows to be bound to the controller. And one of the most important key bindings is Z, which does multiple necessary things, including changing the current objective on the minimap. Of course, Vorpx does not allow Z to be bound to the controller. I tried reassigning the Z functions to other key bindings that were actually available, but none of those alternate bindings will toggle the current goal; it will always be Z, even if nothing is assigned to Z in the Cyberpunk key bindings.

In short, the keyboard and mouse mode in its current state is not really playable with Quest 2 controllers except if you are sitting in front of a keyboard. And I play standing, away from the keyboard, and strapped into a Kat Walk C treadmill. So I think I have no choice but to use gamepad mode instead of keyboard and mouse. But the problem is that I have tried everything I can think of (including uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus program on my PC), and I still cannot get Cyberpunk to recognize any controller inputs when I set the Vorpx settings to gamepad mode.

I’m dying to jump into this mod because I have a new 4090 and the game looks stunning in max settings and psycho ray tracing, but I won’t play the game sitting down in front of a keyboard the entire time. Would appreciate any insight people may have about how to solve this controller problem. Thanks.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

I know that Virtual Desktop allows gamepad emulation, and it does work. But there there is a significant loss of performance using VD/Steam instead of Link, and the Vorpx mod really discourages it so I assume that it is supposed to do its own gamepad emulation for Quest 2?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Definitely better to use Link. If you used VD before that might even be the culprit, i.e. both VD and vorpX emulating a gamepad at the same time may cause problems. Make sure to exit the VD Streamer on the PC. Not sure whether it does anything whithout being connected to the VD Quest app, but just in case. I‘ll check whether I can somehow replicate the issue.

I also don’t really have an idea why you can’t bind certain keys in KB/M mode TBH. Never experienced (or even heard of as far as I can remember) anything like that.

If you have anything running in the background that potentially hooks into games or affects input in some way, try to disable that. If in doubt try to disable all potential background utils you may have running.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Hmm let me try eliminating VD streamer and seeing if that solves. Hopefully that’s it. Thanks!

Although first I need to get the mod to actually launch again. Among other attempts to fix this, I “upgraded” from Windows 10 to 11, reinstalled Steam, Oculus, Cyberpunk, and the mod, and it just does not seem to work anymore. When the game launches, the Vorpx tutorial no longer pops up as it did in Windows 10. I even tried doing this from Steam rather than Link and it still does not launch. But I searched and saw that others are using it with Windows 11, so not sure what the issue is. Hopefully I can resolve it and then troubleshoot the controller issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can check whether the mod is installed correctly by browsing to your [CP2077]\bin\x64 folder. It should contain a file named version.dll (that’s the main hooking DLL from the Cyber Engine Tweaks modding framework) and a folder named plugins. In that folder you should see two files: cyber_engine_tweaks.asi and vpxCP2077.asi, as well as another folder named cyber_engine_tweaks. A few more folders and files should also exist, but I’d assume that all is installed fine if the aforementioned are all there.

If in doubt reinstall the mod using the latest installer for Cyberpunk 1.6.

BTW: I just checked whether the VD Streamer interferes without actually using VD, but at least for me it didn’t.

BTW2: Also check whether Oculus is selected in the mod’s config app. SteamVR should only be used for native SteamVR headsets.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Thanks, that was very helpful for troubleshooting. So the issue is that the installer is just not working properly for me after I switched to Windows 11 (it worked fine in Windows 10). The installer says “Setup has finished installing CyberpunkVR powered by vorpx…” but the bin/x64 folder has none of the the files you identified.

Then I tried again by extracting the installer from the zip/rar file into the Cyberpunk directory and installing from there, which actually brought up a windows defender block for the very first time (“Microsoft Defense SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting Running this app might put your PC at risk”). But I overrode it and the install said it was successful, but still nothing new in the x64 folder.

This is the latest version of the installer freshly downloaded from your website. And in the config I have always selected Oculus, apart from trying Steam a few times for troubleshooting, which did not solve the problem (except in VD after manually selecting gamepad emulation).

Ralf
    Keymaster

I tried the installer without issues on Windows 11 before writing the reply above…

I didn’t have to do that on my Win 11 machine, but excluding the Cyberpunk folder as well as the folder with the installer from Defender might be worth a try. Maybe some extra “safe” (read: annoying) option is enabled on your machine that blocks everything unknown.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Appreciate the ideas. But so far no luck. I could not see any way to add a folder as an exception to windows defender in advance of defender popping up, but I disabled it and Avast antivirus entirely. I closed every program and process that I could. I ran the installer in administrator mode.

Still says that it was installed successfully, and still no change in the files. Someone really doesn’t want me to play this mod.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

If were just to manually paste the files that the installer is supposed to unpack into my CP folder, would that work? Or would there be some issue with a lack of registry?

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Also for further context, I also tried moving the CP folder out of the Steam directory and my desktop, ran the installer in admin mode from there. No effect.

Maybe this is worth mentioning. As the installer unpacks, the progress bar moves smoothly to about 75% and I see the names of the files that are supposed to be unpacking. But then installer just immediately jumps to the next screen that says setup has finished installing. It does not visibly move from ~75 to 100. Maybe that is the point where the installer crashes? But I have always known progress bars to be inconsistent, taking as long on 2% as they take on 80%, teleporting to the finish, etc. So maybe that is normal and the the files being unpacked at the end are just easier. But thought it worth a mention as we’re running out of ideas here.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Folders can be excluded in the Defender settings.

Try to uninstall Avast. Some of the most invasive AV programs can‘t really be disabled until you get rid of them. There isn‘t really any need for third party AV on Windows 10/11 for several years now.

BTW: As far as Avast is concerned in particular, this might interest you.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Thanks you! I don’t think it was the problem directly, but uninstalling Avast allowed me to see an error I did not previously receive during the mod install process, indicating that the files were write-protected. That problem persisted despite me ensuring that the CP directory was not read-only, using admin mode, changing the write settings for the entire drive, etc.

Eventually I figured out that the mod was installing to drive E despite the CP directory being on drive C. The problem may have been caused by some stray registry file from before I switched to Windows 11 and reinstalled everything. It’s possible that in Windows 10 I had Steam install CP to a drive that was previously labeled E. In any case, I finally resolved that problem and was able to install the mod with the current CP install on drive C.

So we’re making progress! Now finally back in the mod on Windows 11, I had the same problem I had in Windows 10. The mod menu recognized my Quest 2 controllers even in Gamepad mode, but none of my controller inputs were recognized in CP unless I switched to keyboard and mouse mode in the mod settings. And as before, there are lots of key bindings that are not possible (including Z).

But I finally figured it out. It is necessary to change the mod settings to enable the full override of the xbox gamepad controls. By default that is set to off, but it needs to be on. When that is done, almost everything works. It’s awesome.

Just two final issues, one of which is particularly important to solve because it’s still not possible to reassign inputs corresponding to the Z key (or many other keys, such as M, J, P, but Z is the only one that is indispensable). In gamepad mode, functions corresponding to Z (as well as other keys that control calling phone, etc.) are bound to the d-pad buttons. When I hold the left grip button, the secondary buttons are visible on the controller overlay and I can see that the d-pad buttons are mapped as secondary buttons for the left joystick directions. However, these do not work–nothing happens when I hold left grip and work the left joystick. All of the other secondary buttons work great. Any ideas how to solve it? Without the d-pad working and it not being possible to assign Z, there is no way to switch from the data and hacks displays in the scanner/tab mode, and no way to toggle between different objections on the active quest.

But we’re almost there! Thanks for all of your patience, I really appreciate it. This is stunning in full, maxed setting VR with psycho ray tracing. And the HUD overlay is fantastic after adjusting to get out of the Quest 2’s blurry peripheral areas.

RigmarDrake
    Participant

Forgot to write the second, more minor issue. The grenade throwing gesture (both variants) does not throw a grenade, but rather opens the map. I can solve that by assigning the button somewhere, but it would be nice to be able to throw grenades more naturally. The other gestures, including the right hand flick gesture (which previously only worked as F/interaction key but not as reload), are working great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!