Using native per eye aspect ratio and performance (full vr mode)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Using native per eye aspect ratio and performance (full vr mode)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rustyshackleford
    Participant

Isn’t using anything other than the aspect ratio of a given HMDs displays wasting resources? So for example the Valve Index has a 9:10 per eye aspect ratio. If I use a 4:3 aspect ratio my GPU is rendering pixels that are outside the range of the display. If I want to get the best performance at the highest fidelity possible should I not set game resolution to a 9:10 resolution? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something here.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In principle that’s correct. That’s pretty much what the ‘narrow’ resolutions in the custom resolutions suggestions are for, which (if applicable for a given game) are also utilized by the DirectVR auto resolution feature. In practice however 4:3 resolutions are a good way to keep things simple when it comes to manually choosing a FullVR resolution. Performance difference is often small or even neglible, not all games like uncommon aspect ratios, also with 4:3 you have a bit of headroom for ImageZoom and some wiggle room for vorpX’s custom frame interpolation. So all in all 4:3 is usually a good choice for FullVR without having to care about the factors above.

Smoils
    Participant

Depends on your preference, for example in fps games I like to use immersive screen and wide resolution which lets me feel separated body/head experience, I can turn head to see sides of the screen and when I move mouse around its not as confusing as with screen glued to face.

P.S.: missed you were talking of full vr mode, 4:3 is best for it and Im not sure you can use some hmd ratios since custom res means it must be supported by your monitor.

v301
    Participant

I found a way to increase FPS by 200%, GTX, RTX, LCD, OLED – HMD.
    just set CRU 1.5.2 to two squares of the native HMD resolution, and connect the monitor via the 8K Display port switch, this will allow you to freely add a resolution above 4095px for the game engine and within the pixel frequency (up to 600Mhz for me) 30-90HZ screen refresh.

A video image that does not require scaling frees up the resources of the graphics card, of course, the higher the stretcher, the wider the field of view of the eyes.
    The tip of the nose covers 16:9 and 4:3 is clearly visible, above the nose at eye level, the native HMD resolution of 1:1 two squares is clearly visible.

How to add 4K-12K custom resolutions for PC games?

v301
    Participant

A video image that does not require scaling frees up the resources of the graphics card, of course, the higher the stretcher, the wider the field of view of the eyes.
    The tip of the nose covers 16:9 and 4:3 is clearly visible, above the nose at eye level, the native HMD resolution of 1:1 two squares is clearly visible.

How to add 4K-12K custom resolutions for PC games?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!