Valve, HTC headset support

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Valve, HTC headset support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trancer Spacey
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

after the announcement of Valves own Headset for Steam/PC, are you planing to support this device or other upcoming devices too?

All best!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Vive sounds interesting for sure, support for it will probably be added as soon as it is available, provided there aren’t any technical reasons that prevent it (unlikely). Same for other devices that have the potential to gain a considerable market share.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

wouldn’t you have to run games at 2400×1080 in the vive, and wont that screw up the hud even more, and wont some games not expand the view correctly and instead go anamorphic.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m sure there are various challenges in supporting the Vive and other devices. Hard to tell in detail before trying. The wider the resolution of the device, the more issues may occur in regard to the HUD and other things, of course. Some games may not even support resolutions wider than 16:9. We’ll see how things work out.

Dukealicious
    Participant

The aspect ratio will be even weirder. On most websites they reported the resolution wrong its actually 2160×1200. It is 2x 1080×1200 panels not 2x 1200×1080. The panels are set to be taller so there is a higher up and down FOV. That said there might be more floating arm issue with the Vive being that a lot of games just render arms and not a body in 1st person. Can see it in some games just by raising the FOV. I hope that made sense.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Without having tried, I’d say I would prefer that. Potential aspect ratio issues can probably cured easier than extremely wide resolutions, which some games might just refuse to work in. 2160×1200 at least would be reasonably close to 16:9.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

well if its 2160×1200 then everything will be fine.

official news is that cresent bay also used 2 screens. so it looks like that is what the oculus rift will have.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The most interesting question regarding two screen solutions will be whether they can be accessed as a single screen programming wise. That may or may not be the case. Let’s hope for the best.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!