vorpX config error, please help!

Homepage Forums Technical Support vorpX config error, please help!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Almac
    Participant

Thanks for the tips, Ralf.

I reinstalled, and before running it, I immediately reinstalled the SDK 1.4.3 over the one included in Vorpx. And then I didn’t fiddle with the config other than to set it to only show on DK2.

It seems to be running fine now, and I have a fun test session playing the first few levels of mirrors edge. I think part of the earlier problem was that I’d set the config to clone screens, and something in Skyrim didn’t like it.

It’s not a perfect solution, but as a workaround for using DK2 on older games, I’m pretty impressed with the way it works.

I have one more question, and one suggestion.

First, does the head tracking only emulate mouse movement, or can it be used like trackir in games that support it eg. Arma and rFactor?

Also, I’m guessing that anyone with a DK2 buying this software probably already has the DK2 runtimes installed, and those without a DK2 don’t need it. I think the Vorpx installation probably doesn’t need to download and install them as well, especially if it’s not the current version. At least let it do a check for installed/newer versions. Just a suggetsion.

Ralf
    Keymaster

TrackIR: I’d love to integrate TrackIR emulation, and technically that would certainly be possible. Unfortunately legal reasons prevent me from being able to do so. The company behind TrackIR does not allow the usage of their API with anything else than their hardware. Unfortunate, but they are of course entitled to handle it this way.

Oculus runtime: The vorpX installer normally does a version check to prevent installing an older version of the runtime. Unfortunately Oculus changed the place where the version info is stored in 0.4.3, so currently this check fails in some cases. This glitch will be gone again soon.

oneduality
    Participant

Same issues here… I downloaded VorpX and it installed the “latest” runtime for me … why on earth would it do that first of all? .. I think that’s a really bad idea… So it of course downgraded my runtime from 0.4.4 to 0.4.1 .. I definitely prefer 0.4.2 or higher because of the chroma corrections that were implemented .. so I reinstalled 0.4.4 and now VorpX won’t run… I get the same error others have reported “VorpX Config encountered an unspecified error” … I’ve tried reinstalling but then it takes me back to 0.4.1 again..

It’s rather frustrating .. I’ve only just bought VorpX and I have yet to be able to use it… I’ve seen it said that it should work with 0.4.3 and I would imagine it would work with 0.4.4.. right now VorpX is entirely unusable to me.

Can we have the choice to install the runtime or not? I imagine most will have already had it installed.. you could check the version and offer to upgrade it, but don’t just DO it ..

Ralf
    Keymaster

The installer does a version check to avoid installing an older runtime, but unfortunately Oculus changed the location where the version info is stored with the 0.4.3 runtime, so this check fails in some cases currently. Sorry for the inconvenience. Will be work correctly again soon.

Not ideal, but you can use vorpX entirely without the config app BTW. Just make sure to set the Rift as primary display in that case. Opening games on the secondary monitor is the only basic setting that can’t be set ingame. Almost everything else can br adjusted in the vorpX ingame menu.

oneduality
    Participant

I can’t access the VorpX .. it’s the delete key by default correct? is there any easy way to test that VorpX is actually working aside from it sitting in the system tray? I’ll try it as the primary display..

Ralf
    Keymaster

When you start a game while vorpX is running it normally opens in Rift mode (two distorted images side by side). If it dosn’t open in Rift mode, vorpX did not hook, hence no ingame menu.

If you have this issue with multiple games, please check the trouble shooting guide in the help. The most likely cause for something like this is that some other program is running that interferes with vorpX. The guide lists a few types of programs that might cause conflicts and has a few hints in addition to that.

oneduality
    Participant

I tried it with Alien Isolation and I saw the vorpx logo .. and when I pressed delete I could kind of see the menu, but it was the side by side distorted thing you mentioned.. I tried 7 days to die and I saw no logo at all .. I also tried Watch Dogs… I don’t have much else installed now … the only game that showed the vorpx logo was alien isolation..

I guess I’ll take a look at the troubleshooting guide, my luck so far is nill :/

Ralf
    Keymaster

Neither Watch Dogs nor 7 Days to Die were ever tried here. While vorpX tries to hook any DX9-11 game, there are no guarantees that this works without a profile for the game.

IIRC I read about someone who had Watch Dogs running with vorpX some time ago though, so this one should work. For Ubisoft games it makes always sense to disable the Uplay overlay. Some games definitely refuse to hook otherwise.

You can find a (slightly outdated) list with supported games here:
    http://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/

oneduality
    Participant

Ironically 7 days to die was the only one that “hooked” … and I did launch Watch Dogs without the ubisoft overlay .. I will try some more this weekend, unfortunately I have to be up early for work…

I still would strongly say from a user stand point that the installer only check the version of the runtime and offer to install it though.. it can even warn if there might be issues.. but installing it automatically I think isn’t such a great idea :) .. I wouldn’t have minded going back to 0.4.1 but like I mentioned, I had the issues with the chroma aberration that got fixed in 0.4.2 … and now the run time is up to 0.4.4… just a suggestion

I’ll work this out over the weekend, or over my vacation time that starts after tuesday.. I appreciate your quick responses! I haven’t lost faith in the product, I saw lots of impressive video on youtube before I decided to bite the bullet

Ralf
    Keymaster

The installer does a version check to avoid installing an older runtime, but since Oculus changed the location where the version info is stored with the 0.4.3 runtime this check fails in some cases currently. Will work correctly again soon.

oneduality
    Participant

Understandable.. since it’s still a devkit, things are less likely to be uniform with each update.. and with VorpX being beta it’s expected that things don’t go as planned.. I’m not putting anyone down :) I’m in awe of the technology, I’m just anxious to get VorpX working so I can see it working with more familiar titles without waiting until Oculus CV1 which is probably not going to be out for a while yet..

I’m addicted… :)

oneduality
    Participant

It’s my friday night and I’ve spent several hours on this.. but alas no luck… I even tried what another user tried.. clicking cancel to try to prevent the VorpX installer from installing runtime 0.4.1 but I’m just not faster than my systsem, and when I am faster it fails anyway when it comes time to config… and it’s not hooking on anything it did before… but everything else works that worked before, so I know the rift is fine… I cannot accept being forced to downgrade my runtime.. and it DEFINITELY does not work with the current runtime … so saying it’s downloading the latest which is a few versions behinds is a bit false…

Every single time, VorpX breaks my installation… I even had to resort to editing my registry twice to get my main video card’s drivers to work again, and I’m not the only one … I found that fix elsewhere… so until vorpx stops forcing runtime installations I’m done trying, it’s taken up way too many hours and I’m a software developer myself.. I can’t spend all my time doing this.. so I will wait until a confirmed 0.4.4+ version is ready and one that doesn’t force a runtime install of their choosing without permission..

No offense intended.. the support has been great.. but that part needs addressed… there should be a prompt, a warning.. and not necessarily a cancel.. maybe it will work.. but let them have the choice… proceed with or without it

Ralf
    Keymaster

All I can say to this is the same that I said twice before, sorry:

Unfortunately Oculus changed the location where the version info is stored with the 0.4.3 runtime, so the version check done by the vorpX installer fails in some cases currently, leading to an older runtime being installed although it shouldn’t.

This will work again as intended soon!

If you don’t absolutely need 0.4.4 for something else, the runtime that is installed by vorpX is the best one BTW, since it’s the version vorpX was compiled against.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!