VorpX on Quest with Virtual Desktop (controller support)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion VorpX on Quest with Virtual Desktop (controller support)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    onetoo
    Participant

Never thought i would be using VoprX in conjunction with Virtual Desktop, but here we are. VorpX works great on the Quest via Virtual Desktop’s SteamVR mode (must sideload). Being that i have to use it with SteamVR compatibility set in VorpX, the Vive controllers are represented. Is there a way to get Oculus Quest controller support within VorpX? I see the Oculus Quest controllers in a few steam Games. I’m sure they are identified as Rift S controllers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Touch controllers are only handled in Oculus mode curretnly. I’ll have to revisit the SteamVR controller code shortly anyway though to add Index controller support. Since the Index controllers are rather similar to Touch (plus a bit of extra stuff), re-using their logic for Touch controllers in SteamVR mode probably won’t be not too hard. No promises, but I’ll see what I can do.

BTW: You can do the same with ALVR. Not sure whether there are any advantages over using VD if you already have that, but might be worth to check anyway,

onetoo
    Participant

Thanks for the Reply. I used ALVR initially, but there is too much screen tear when lag occurs. Seems Virtual Desktop is maintained more frequently and has better integration with Quest (launch straight from desktop in Headset without going through as many steps).

paalex
    Participant

I tried ALVR but controller mapping is messed up.
    Would be awesome if you can make it work. Thanks!

onetoo
    Participant

Thanks for the implementation of the Rift Controllers in SteamVR mode. Is it possible to add multiple commands to a single button?

Example: Long Press: A, Short Press:S , Double Click: D

If not, could it be done via SteamVR?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s a bit outside of vorpX’s scope. If you want more complex mapping than vorpX offers, try to set the controller mode to ‘Gamepad’ and use a dedicated gamepad mapping software that may allow that.

marcob
    Participant

How do I use vorpx in quest with virtual desktop ?

paalex
    Participant

It works for me out of the box.
    Just run Virtual Desktop and run SteamVR from there.
    Start Vorpx.
    Run the game.
    It should come up on your Oculus Quest

onetoo
    Participant

You have to run Virtual Desktop Streamer on your PC. You must purchase Virtual Desktop for Quest, but do not install the version found on the Oculus store. Sideload Virtual Desktop using SideQuest. Check out the following links for further instructions.

https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

ippsley
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I’m new to the world of VR on PC but having fun with it.

I’ve been streaming VR content to Occulus Quest via a remote shadow PC and Virtual Desktop with some ok results.

Just tried Vorpx and I think it’s awesome! Only issue is that controls are very very hard to get my head around. I think probably due to Vorpx not having native quest controller support.

I can pair my DS4 to my quest and play games directly in Steam using Virtual Desktop. It thinks it’s an X Box controller but it’s perfectly easy

However Vorpx seems to have an issue. Either the reaction is really delayed or some buttons don’t seem to work at all.

Is there something I should try within the Vorpx settings?

onetoo
    Participant

@ippsley I did not delve into the controllers much since the new implementation (I plan to see how much customization i can do with third party program.

You can try using, Open VR Input emulator. I’m not sure if that can adjust the button sensitivity.

https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator/releases

Also, take a look at the latest release of ALVR. Maybe the controllers work better with that application. ALVR was branched by a different dev, and it has interesting new features such as Fixed Foveated Rendering, and now accurate controller angles.

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases/tag/ev5

Ralf
    Keymaster

It might also be worth noting that in SteamVR mode you can change the controller type manually in the vorpX menu. Per default vorpX tries to detect the controller automatically, but I could imagine that ALVR doesn‘t report a controller name vorpX recognizes. In that case switching the SteamVR controller type to „Oculus Touch“ in the vorpX menu should do the trick (provided ALVR handles it correctly).

kdll
    Participant

Has anyone been able to try what Ralf suggested?
    I’m doing the same setup with VRDesktop+Quest, and if the controllers work, I’ll definitely have to get VorpX!

paalex
    Participant

VRDesktop+Quest+vorpX works great for me without any special setup, out-of-the-box.

JESUSTAYS
    Participant

Works fine,only thing is I couldn’t get the grand theft vr mod to work.Once activated it goes black.Besides that vorpx work wirelessly with either vrdesktop or perhaps riftcat.Praise Jesus !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!