Vorpx Review

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vorpx Review

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Grocs
    Participant

Hey all – just thought for those of you wanting to see what Vorpx is like, particularly for 2D to 3D game conversion I’ve written a review.

Vorpx Review

Great product – thanks Ralf.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Glad to see another positive review out there. I think vorpX is great and has changed the way I play games. Thanks for helping to get the word out.

I didn’t realize you can use Virtual Desktop as a background streaming service for vorpX to your hmd. Is that how it functions, or do you have to manage vorpX’s screen within VD’s own virtual screen?

Maybe another way to ask would be: does the fullVR mode with headtracking work with your Quest VD setup?

RJK_
    Participant

Very nice review

If i may point to something that could improve your screenshots, look here

Grocs
    Participant

Glad to see another positive review out there. I think vorpX is great and has changed the way I play games. Thanks for helping to get the word out.

I didn’t realize you can use Virtual Desktop as a background streaming service for vorpX to your hmd. Is that how it functions, or do you have to manage vorpX’s screen within VD’s own virtual screen?

Maybe another way to ask would be: does the fullVR mode with headtracking work with your Quest VD setup?

FullVR mode with head tracking does indeed work with the games I’ve tried, but I do find it fairly zoomed in. That may be because I haven’t played around enough with the FOV settings (most likely). Virtual Desktop does a great job of streaming Vorpx. To be honest I haven’t tried a tethered headset, so I can’t compare.

Grocs
    Participant

Very nice review

If i may point to something that could improve your screenshots, look here

Thanks for the link. Will have to give it a go :)

Jarilo
    Participant

Very nice, VorpX has been one of the best VR investments I’ve made. I like seeing positive reviews, I feel like the negative ones come from people not willing to invest a little time into a profile.

Grocs
    Participant

Very nice, VorpX has been one of the best VR investments I’ve made. I like seeing positive reviews, I feel like the negative ones come from people not willing to invest a little time into a profile.

I completely agree.

Sure, I haven’t had as much success with getting VR working as well as I think it can, but I am putting that down to my Quest via Virtual Desktop setup, and the fact that it just looks really zoomed in. I’m not faulting Vorpx for that, as with any PC program – there are so many variables involved, particularly for VR and head tracking.

A lot of the games I want to play again are more for the 3D aspect for me, and Vorpx provides some amazing options behind that.

I am a huge adovcate for Vorpx, and I note quite a few requests have been around using Vorpx on a 3D TV or Monitor. I’ve been working on this over the last couple of days with Vorpx, and I have almost got it right. I was playing The Witcher 3 on my 3D TV last night using Vorpx, and it rocked.

Once I’m really happy with it – I’ll put up a blog post on that too.

clewe
    Participant

Hi Grocs,

may I ask – how high was your latency while playing? I’ve read about streaming to Quest with around 60 – 70ms of latency, with Virtual Desktop or ALVR.

I’m using a Rift S and have moved to vorpx after a while, concerning that the vorpx – 3D – effect may not work with a single display compared to many other HMDs with two displays (because the “simple” Side-by-side – techniques aren’t working of course). Right now I’ve tested a couple of games from the compatible list and I’m very pleased – it is working very well :) but I’d like to try a Quest, streaming, yes that’s probably not as good as wired, but therefore with the OLED Panels…

Grocs
    Participant

Hi Clewe,

I find the Quest works very well – and yes, you are on the money with the expected latency of 60-70ms.

I really enjoy using Vorpx with my Quest, and 3D works extremely well. I don’t use the VR component as much, simply because a lot of the games I play were not originally designed that way.

Regarding general VR, I play Project Cars 1 and 2, and they look surprisingly very good, plus run really well. With the Quest and Virtual Desktop – it streams at about 1.5 super sampling, which equates to about 100% on the Steam VR video settings. There is no benefit really in going higher than that.

If you play a lot of games at a stationary location, I still think a tethered headset will provide you a better experience. If you want to play untethered, and then have the streaming option for a lot of the Steam VR games – then consider a Quest for sure.

I’ve written a review on the Quest and Virtual Desktop running with it – go to http://www.agameofwrites.com if you want to check them out.

clewe
    Participant

Hi Grocs,

Thanks for your insights, found the article. Reshade and depth3d are things I’ve struggled with. I don’t expect it to look as beautiful as vorpx in Bioshock Infinite for example but sadly I couldn’t tell – once it seems to require a headset with ‘sbs ability’, f.e. the Quest or Rift CV1 with two different displays. In your review you are pointing out, that these tools are working on a 3D TV – maybe I was wrong in my first attempt. Side by side isn’t required? Like in VropX with ‘real’ 3D with z buffering and beyond? I will try this when I will be near my Rift S in a couple of days.

And for the wireless aspect – well… Wireless cinema on OLED might be worth a try I guess… :)

Edit// may I ask what type of GPU you are using? And your native resolution onscreen?

Grocs
    Participant

Yes ReShade and Depth3D split the images in half (think half sbs), and with a 3D TV you have to turn your sbs mode on.

With Virtual Desktop on the Rift S I can’t see that being any different. You can turn sbs mode on by clicking underneath the Virtual Desktop screen and it will produce a 3D image as well.

Running a 1080 GTX and for the TV I run 4K native. With normal Desktop mode on VD and the Quest running at 1080p.

With SteamVR via VD and the Quest, 100% (roughly 1900×1800 per eye).

clewe
    Participant

Thanks for these infos. That’s quite interesting. I’ve tested only big screen via steam with my Rift S and wasn’t able to handle any kind of 3d effect. SBS – modes on big screen were only able to mash up my screen in a weird way. Then I’ve noticed that I could nevertheless watch the 3D Trailers shown in big screen’s social room. I’ll give VD a try if you say that’s going to work.

You haven’t tested out big screen yet with the S, do you?

Grocs
    Participant

No I haven’t tried a Rift S as yet.

Just for the record, the Quest, VD and Vorpx does work in VR mode. I don’t always play in that mode, but since you had asked I played some original Bioshock. Using the Direct VR scanning option with custom resolutions works well.

For most older games I still prefer normal 3D on my TV, but very impressive to see them in VR as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!