VorpX – Screen in DK2 Sideways

Homepage Forums Technical Support VorpX – Screen in DK2 Sideways

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

You have to change the orientation of the DK2 in Windows. For Windows 7 the orientation has to be set to “Portrait”, for Windows 8 the right value sometimes is “Landscape flipped”.

You do not do this within vorpX. It is done in the Windows monitor configuration.

You can access a step-by-step DK2 setup guide with some images, which explains all necessary steps in detail, in the vorpX help.

meinsla
    Participant

As soon as you make the changes to extend the desktop to the oculus, the window appears in the oculus screen, not the monitor. Trying to rotate it at that point is impossible since the screen is rotated and distorted, and you have 15 seconds to make a change or the resolution returns.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Something like that *may* happen if the DK2 is used as primary display. When you follow the steps with the DK2 as secondary display, this does not happen.

Changing the display orientation of the DK2 is a basic technique in regard to using the DK2, which is also mentioned in Oculus own user guide, it’s not specific to vorpX. You will also need to do this for many native demos.

To reiterate the two possible vorpX setups:

A. The convenient one (does not work with everything)

1. Set the Rift DK2 to “Extend Desktop to HMD”
    2. Use the Rift DK2 as SECONDARY monitor in Windows
    3. Set vorpX to “Show only on DK2? display wise in the vorpX config app

B. The compatible one

1. Set the Rift DK2 to “Extend Desktop to HMD”
    2. Use the Rift DK2 as PRIMARY monitor in Windows
    3. Set vorpX to “Use system settings” display wise in the vorpX config app

It is important to choose the right setting in the vorpX config app according to your display settings in Windows. It is important to choose the right setting in the vorpX config app according to your display settings in Windows. For a more detailed guide including screenshots please check the DK2 setup guide that comes with vorpX.

meinsla
    Participant

I cannot get to step two because as soon as the Oculus is turned on and detected by windows as a monitor, the display window appears on it and not the monitor, and since the oculus screen is rotated at that point, I can’t do anything else. It doesn’t even matter if its the primary monitor because changing the HDMI outputs on my video card will work too, but no matter which is primary, the display window always moves to the oculus.

meinsla
    Participant

I want to reiterate, non-vorpx demos/games work fine.

meinsla
    Participant

I found a work around by running oculus off of a separate card. (I had stopped using both GPUs because I wasn’t sure if it would cause issues). Only issue is that some games that are claimed to be supported by vorpx have issues like invisible cursor (mass effect 3) or unable to bring up DEL menu (fallout new vegas) and nearly all of them don’t allow you to quite see the entire screen even with the setting zoomed all the way out. Disappointing to say the least.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you read the various guides in the help? Below you find what you can do about a “zoomed in” image.

You should also check the quick reference that explains a lot of useful vorpX functions which allow you to use invisible menu parts (EdgePeek) in corners etc. Do yourself a favour and really read these things. Saves a lot of head scratching. :)

You can get most games look almost perfect in regard to the FOV. And even for those that do not offer FOV control, neither directly, nor through vorpX, there are functions in vorpX to make them playable, although not in a perfect way. From best to worst here is what you can do, depending on the game.

1. Set the game FOV directly in the game if it provides to dial in an FOV of 120°,
    2. Set the game FOV directly with the vorpX Game Optimizer (vorpX config app) for games that support it.
    3. Set the game FOV to 120 manually through an ini tweak or external tool (avaliable for many games, google FOV + game name).
    4. Use the 3D FOV Enhancement in the vorpX ingame menu (availabe in Geometry 3D games).
    5. Use one of the letterbox aspect ratio modes in the vorpX ingame menu and/or ImageZoom
    6. Use the 2D FOV-Enhancement in the vopX ingame menu (be aware that this distorts the image)

meinsla
    Participant

I can only seem to change those values in games that allow the DEL menu in-game. Since some games apparently don’t allow that (pressing DEL does nothing but zoom out the picture a tiny bit), how do I change these values in-game?

meinsla
    Participant

Or more importantly, the games that make the cursor disappear?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The vorpX ingame menu should work in every game that vorpX is able to hook into. If it doesn’t, there is something fundamentally wrong with your setup.

Please try to press the DEL key relatively shortly, otherwise the key press might not get registered correctly.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!