will vorpx be compatible with htc vive pro out of the box ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion will vorpx be compatible with htc vive pro out of the box ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    steph12
    Participant

hello,

Ralf do you think vorpx will need to be updated for htc vive pro ? seems like it’s just an hardware upgrade and all software side is the same ? except for higher resolution.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In theory it should just work. Nothing is impossible, but I would be highly surprised if it wouldn’t.

Personal note: if you can easily spend the money, upgrading from the regular Vive is probably worth it. But if for example you are a student with a more limited budget, I would recommend to think twice (or thrice) about it. Roughly calculated the pixel density of the Pro will be slightly better than Oculus Rift, which currently has the advantage in this regard due to its lower FOV. While that certainly is a noticable improvement, I wouldn’t consider it enough of an upgrade if one can’t easily afford the Pro.

steph12
    Participant

htc didnt provide a price yet as you surely know already , but they said they “offer” an upgrade option for htc vive owners, if the price for that upgrade is fair, i wont be able to resist :D

i also heard dpi of htc vive is 400’ish while htc vive pro will be 600’ish resulting in a more clearer image even when not looking at the sweetspot, SDE should be reduced quiet a lot ?

and the wireless accessory (not available before Q3 2018) seems promising even if htc vive will support it also.

on a different note, higher resolution will ask more pc ressources so maybe better to wait for a true nextgen headset along with more powerful gpus/cpus.

anyway, thank you for the answer and advice :)

ji3200
    Participant

i already backed Pimax 8k. i hope it works with Vorpx

dborosev
    Participant

I’m not going to bother until I decide to buy a new beefy machine to power it.

brown66
    Participant

Yes, Vorpx works perfect with the HTC Vive Pro out of the box, but… the improvements in image quality are small comparing with you get with the original Vive. In fact, the overall image appearance is very similar betwen these two HDM. If you want to increase the overall VR experience with the original HTC Vive, just remove the face cushion and try it with a very tiny cushion – you will improve the FOV, and belive me, this is more important than the increased resolution you get with the HTC Vive Pro.

Unfortunelly, I found this after spend 879€ in the new HTC Vive Pro. And, no, it’s not so ease (at least to my face shape) to get a tiny face cushion substitute to the HTC Vive Pro, to increase the FOV.

Sushi81
    Participant

I got a red screen on the Vive Pro how can i fix this?

bcozier
    Participant

i already backed Pimax 8k. i hope it works with Vorpx

So did I, I backed the headset only version for $539 shipped. Later I will add steam tracking 2.0 and knuckle controllers. Will use with Vorpx and games needing gamepad only and watch 3D movies for now.

brown66
    Participant

I got a red screen on the Vive Pro how can i fix this?

Hello, Sushi

I hope you did find the problem with your HTC Vive Pro. It looks to be a cable problem (bad connection or broken).If the problem is persistent, I suggest you try HTC Vive forums.

brown66
    Participant

Yes, Vorpx works perfect with the HTC Vive Pro out of the box, but… the improvements in image quality are small comparing with you get with the original Vive. In fact, the overall image appearance is very similar betwen these two HDM. If you want to increase the overall VR experience with the original HTC Vive, just remove the face cushion and try it with a very tiny cushion – you will improve the FOV, and belive me, this is more important than the increased resolution you get with the HTC Vive Pro.

Unfortunelly, I found this after spend 879€ in the new HTC Vive Pro. And, no, it’s not so ease (at least to my face shape) to get a tiny face cushion substitute to the HTC Vive Pro, to increase the FOV.

An update to my earlier post…

There is a really image improvement (less SDE, more details and less AURA = better color uniformity ), but, for now, you must use steamvr beta (significant god rays reduction) and supersampling (the most, the better). That means the HTC Vive Pro, to show all it’s potential image quality increase, needs a very power graphics card. Expectable bad news, of course!

However, the sound is garbage! No bass, just middles.

RJK_
    Participant

just remove the face cushion and try it with a very tiny cushion – you will improve the FOV,

Very interesting to read about this.
    Ive tried a smaller face cushion today with the original vive. I can confirm that FOV increases, sharpness in edges only very slightly, but i put back the original one because of the following reasons.

(You may test this too)
    When gaining FOV this way the image size in vorpX must be gained too, otherwise you will see a black border at the lower end of the image. (Full VR Mode) . – But when matching this with the image size you somehow pull the szene back to where it was before and even worse, it seems that you even loose FOV at the end of the day. The charachters seemed to be much closer and i got a little motion sick (havent experienced that is months). To me it felt a little unnatural the way the image looked with this “tweak”.

RJK_
    Participant

Hello, did anyone of you get the Pro to work with WIN 7 ?

Ghost
    Participant

Hello,

So I can say VorpX works at least for me at the moment almost not at all with the HTC Vive Pro. The pitch, yaw and roll are inverted, the FOV is well but it would be better and many games do not even start with VorpX.

I hope there will be an update soon otherwise the money was thrown out of the window.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You are the first one reporting such an issue since the Vive Pro has been released almost a year ago. Definitely not related to the Vive Pro, which is just another SteamVR headset for vorpX, but something unique to your individual setup/configuration.

Please try a full factory reset for vorpX (in the config app) as well as for your headset.

In regard to hooking issues please check for programs on your PC that may cause a conflict with vorpX by also hooking into games. First and foremost antivirus software, but also: any kind of GPU/CPU utility, game recording/streaming software, messengers and generally everything that can show notifications in games.

RJK_
    Participant

getting a pro in a day or two, wonder why some people say “you need a powerful card”. Why should be there a difference to the card i am using with the Vive 1 right now when using for example 3200×1800 ? I dont see a reason for the pro to be slower, its the same bandwidth for both unless SteamVr treats the pro differently (crappy driver?) , the card and the HMD. Or am i seeing something wrong ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!