will vorpx be compatible with htc vive pro out of the box ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion will vorpx be compatible with htc vive pro out of the box ?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    steph12
    Participant

htc vive pro has higher pixel density than original htc vive, that’s why.
    if you already play with SS above normal value, then yeah, there wont be much change i guess, you just wont have to mess with the SS as much as with the original htc vive.

RJK_
    Participant

Need some help Guys,

Have the pro connected but when starting vorpX i get steamVR error 202 , something like “Compositor must be full screen” and HMD is displaying red and blue screens only.

any solution ?

RJK_
    Participant

A fairy spoke to me and said, install a newer Nvidia driver…

Well if anyone wants to know my personal Pro Story, i can only guess around what caused that error 202 (Nvidia panel reconized the pro as a second device which was not possible to configure in any way). It seems using a display driver newer then 385.28 does not behave like that and the pro worked RIGHt AWAY with VorpX. Only the SteamVR Tasbar Icon is gone, may be someone kows how to bring that back at least.

The visual experience is insane, at the moment i am playing an older game in a very high resolution where text was quite unreadable without the magnifier becasue of extremely small GUI. The boost in readability is enormeous, everything is sharp like you read a newspaper. Thats how i wanted it. Cant say much about performane yet, but vorpX has not complained concerning FPS yet. I would say older games can be easily played with the pro on high resolutions, even on a GTX970 and WIn7 !
    Sweet spot seems a bit smaller, but that could be only a fake impression because the HMD feels differntly to the Vive 1 and must be carefully adjusted.

RJK_
    Participant

Hey RJK_

you must open steamvr.vrsettings and set “startMonitorFromAppLaunch” : true

thanks man !

zahncisten
    Participant

Lol, I’m glad you showed up RJK_! RJK_ really needed your help! Lol, I’m glad you figured it out, I’m sorry I couldn’t help. I didn’t know the answer! =D

RJK_
    Participant

After playing a while around with the pro i must say the HMD is really worth its money. When mounting it properly to your head “sweet spot” is not a question anymore. The whole screen looks much clearer then with the vive 1, borders too ! Only in the very corners i notice some unsharpness but the overall clearnee weights that all out. I raised resolution way above 3000 where the current HUD became really really small, but still very clear to read letters.
    Then, and thats probably the even more interesing part, when lowering resolution down to 1920×1440 overall image quality was still outstanding compared to the vive 1. I would really recommend these glasses, standing inside of a ice-spell-cloud made me seriously hold my breath because everything looks even more real then before. – Crazy ! I would even say no need of a pimax 8K or something else. The pixel have shrunk down to a size that they look almost like you look at a 27inch monitor real close. Very clear and crisp display.

RJK_
    Participant

Nothing is perfect, i can turn the IPD Knob but indicator doesnt display anymore in the HMD ( the Vive 1 had one ). Is that normal ? I really need some help on that. Could find anything through the net.

zahncisten
    Participant

I wish I could tell you RJK_, but I don’t know anything about the Vive Pro. I did find an article on Vive’s website which says that when you adjust the IPD by the knob, a readout is supposed to appear on HMD:
    https://www.vive.com/us/support/vive-pro-hmd/category_howto/adjusting-the-ipd-on-the-headset.html
    If you aren’t seeing that, maybe it doesn’t display when you are in VorpX? Have you tried it otherwise? (sorry, I don’t have a Vive, so I don’t know)

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks for the link, This must appear also when in SteamVR mode only. I would guess its a SteamVR or Windows7 software issue since they say we would need Win8. The thing is the HMD runs perfectly with SteamVR from end of 2017, this is the only exeption. I can adjust it, it just doesnt display. I really dont want to risk an update because of some other issues that were reported by users might break my setup completely.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!