wmr and openxr issues

Homepage Forums Technical Support wmr and openxr issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ice556
    Participant

hi i am using windows mixed reality headset with vorpx, the issue is my wmr headset is not working with the openxr, when i launch a steam game vorpx hooks the game i can see the game and vorpx info on the desktop in game wmr vr headset tracking cursor is moving on desktop in game screen, but the game is not appearing in wmr headset theres a black screen in the wmr headset, the other version of vorpx had wmr with steamvr game were working but after vorpx update the openxr is not working with wmr headset

Ralf
    Keymaster

You have to make sure that WMR is set as your OpenXR runtime. The WMR portal should display a warning message on launch if that isn’t the case.

If you are sure WMR is your OpenXR runtime and it still doesn’t work for some reason, there isn’t really much else to recommend than using SteamVR instead.

ice556
    Participant

wmr vr is set as openxr still games wont launch in headset i dont have any virus protection software thats conflicting with vorpx, only have windows virus defender, games appear on desktop i can see vorpx info on desktop game but theres nothing in the wmr vr headset just black screen

dimensionaldude
    Participant

I just wanted to add I’m having the same problem on Mixed Reality, and like you said, I’ve just been using SteamVR for now instead. It just gives me a black screen for the games I’ve tested, though I can hear them running.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

I just wanted to add I’m having the same problem on Mixed Reality, and like you said, I’ve just been using SteamVR for now instead. In OpenXR, it just gives me a black screen for the games I’ve tested, though I can hear them running.

ice556
    Participant

I’ve tried using Windows mixed reality headset with steam vr it doesn’t work, how did you make it work with wmr and steamvr, it says steam vr failed in the box when it appears on desktop screen, there’s also no set steam vr to wmr in vorpx vr headset settings

ice556
    Participant

Hi Ralf you siad there’s no option just to use steam vr with wmr I’ve tried that a dialog shows saying something like steamvr failed there isn’t any setting in vorpx headset settings to change steamvr with wmr I really want to play games with vorpx software but its not working well for me like I said the previous version of vorpx was working well there was an option to change stamvr with wmr in the previous version of vorpx

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX works with SteamVR + WMR just like any SteamVR game does, that’s actually how WMR headsets worked per default until not too long ago OpenXR support was added to vorpX.

OpenXR is quite a bit better than WMR over SteamVR, but if for some reason that doesn’t work for you, simply download ‘Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR’ in the Steam shop and switch to SteamVR in the vorpX config app.

lazerwolf
    Participant

I had the black screen as well. “Fix it” was not an option because it was already using openxr. What worked for me was uninstalling “openxr dev tools” and openxr, then starting WMR and clicking “fit it”. It’s been working great since.

nickneo
    Participant

I had been playing F1 2021 for a long time with openXR device selected, but lately i can only do it with SteamVR selected. Please ralf, what can you do about it? Using steamvr I have worse graphics quality and poorer performance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Works fine for me. Just checked with a Reverb G2.

Please double check whether Windows Mixed Reality is your OpenXR runtime. The WMR portal will complain on launch if it’s not. Unfortunately SteamVR tries to make itself the system’s OpenXR runtime on each launch, which is complete nonsense for Oculus and WMR devices since both have native OpenXR support.

If you have an RTX card, also make sure that all raytracing is disabled in the game options. Otherwise the game would crash when loading a race. Not sure whether raytracing was added later or whether I missed that when doing the profile.

Last but not least: if for some reason you have installed the WMR developer preview runtime, try switching back to the release version.

Minabe
    Participant

From everything i tried with my WMR i could never make vorpX work with openXR, nor any other app for that matter other than the demo with hit and miss success. There are actually many reports about openXR being broken for WMR in general and many ppl have similar problems which tend to arise/dissappear as updates come out.

I got a Quest 2, just had to make Oculus the main OpenXR runtime and everything worked perfectly out of the box, imo the main problem is that with WMR there’s more than one brand so things tend to be quite different from one headset to another even within the same ecosystem.

Solidpoint
    Participant

I’ve bought vorpx today to use it with ‘The hunter: call of the wild’.

I have a HP reverb G2

– Disconnected the triple monitors to just one monitor
    – Disabled Nvidia overlay
    – Disabled EVGA fps overlay

If i start the game, on the monitor i see the game running with vorpx attached (vorpx message). I can move the mouse with my headset. But in WMR i see 4 white balls/dots loading. This loading is also visible on the headset. Steam VR gives me a black screen.

Running non supported games do work in cinematic mode (like valheim or hydroneer)

Is there a solution/workarround available?

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem here with the game and a Reverb G2 here in OpenXR mode. Since apparently you already checked for conflicting programs, pretty much the only thing left to recommend is trying to run it windowed. Sometimes that can help with weird issues.

Solidpoint
    Participant

I run the game windowd, but noting i try fixes the loading screen in the WMR screen (and on the HP reverb)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!