WMR Headsets Require SteamVR Runtime?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion WMR Headsets Require SteamVR Runtime?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    DaveSt
    Participant

I am a HP Reverb G2 owner and I just purchased vorpX a couple of days ago. I thought that vorpX supported OpenXR, but anytime I try to launch a game using OpenXR as my runtime I get a popup error telling me vorpX is unable to init an OpenXR session.

The only way I can get anything to work is to change my VR runtime to SteamVR. Is this working as intended?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You have to make sure that WMR is your default OpenXR runtime. The WMR portal should display an according warning message if that is not the case.

If your ensured WMR is your OpenXR runtime and the issue still occurs, something is wrong. Difficult to tell what, but in that case simply stick to SteamVR as a workaround.

CrunchyGlass
    Participant

Want to add that “OpenXR session init failed” popup will still occur on some apps that used to work (Far Cry 5 / mpc-hc) since roughly the last quarter of November 2021. OpenXR is used by mixed reality portal and SteamVR also confirms OpenXR is being used.

The only way to run those apps is to set VorpX to use SteamVR.

Using samsung odyssey wmr headset,

Lawrence1962
    Participant

try to re-install the mixed-reality-portal, and make sure that WMR is your default OpenXR runtime

DaveSt
    Participant

try to re-install the mixed-reality-portal, and make sure that WMR is your default OpenXR runtime

I can give this a shot, but I am running on a very fresh (less than two weeks) Windows 10 installation. I have only tried a couple of games so far, so maybe I just got unlucky.

Minabe
    Participant

I’m getting the following error:

“OpenXR session init failed

This is a severe error. Make sure that OpenXR is working correctly on your pc or switch to a different vr api in the vorpx config app.”

Games load “as normal” with the vorpX logo but i get no output to the HMD, used to work all right but i started to get some errors so i falled back to the SteamVR api, then reinstalled OpenXR and this happened.

OpenXR seems to be working correctly, i can load the demo to test it works, it just won’t work with vorpX.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If yopu have trouble running a game with OpenXR, please switch to SteamVR in the vorpX config app on the ‘General’ page.

Minabe
    Participant

Nvm i just got it to work, didn’t realize i had “WMR for SteamVR” in beta, went back to stable and chose OpenXR in the developer settings of SteamVR and vorpX now works.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t set SteamVR as OpenXR runtime for a WMR headset! That’s pretty much pointless, OpenXR calls are just converted to SteamVR that way and then send through the WMR SteamVR plugin to the headset.

Use the native WMR OpenXR runtime instead, SteamVR doesn’t have to be running at all anymore with a WMR headset unless you encounter an issue with native WMR OpenXR.

Lawrence1962
    Participant

I had the same problems some time ago, and fixed it by re-installing steamvr and mixed-reality-portal a couple of times, until the mixed-reality-portal app asked me to set it as default OpenXR runtime.

Minabe
    Participant

Oh, then i’ll have to reinstall everything :X

Ralf
    Keymaster

Normally the Mixed Reality app should ask whether you want to set WMR as your default OpenXR runtime when you launch it. Similarly to how SteamVR handles that.

Wishful thinking, but Valve should really just stop trying to force SteamVR as OpenXR runtime for headsets with native OpenXR runtimes. Totally confusing for any normal person.

Minabe
    Participant

Seems OpenXR is now installed by default on WMR, oddly enough after reinstalling everything (twice) the OpenXR demo no longer works and it just falls back to the WMR Portal while vorpX keeps giving the “severe error” message.

If i make SteamVR handle the OpenXR API the WMR Portal does gives me a warning and a button to “Fix it” appears but even after doing it, no luck; guess i’ll try updating Windows tho i already have a higher version than the recommended according to the OpenXR documentation…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just in case: make sure to close SteamVR when WMR is set as OpenXR runtime. It’s not required at all with WMR’s native OpenXR.

DaveSt
    Participant

Just in case: make sure to close SteamVR when WMR is set as OpenXR runtime. It’s not required at all with WMR’s native OpenXR.

Ahhhh …. I think I see the error of my ways. I have always been starting SteamVR and then launching the game I want to play from there. Is the correct way to simply launch the game from the normal Steam interface and vorpX will automatically hook into it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!