A little more info about custom resolutions

Homepage Forums Technical Support A little more info about custom resolutions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lipplog
    Participant

Hi guys,

I was hoping to clarify a few things about custom resolutions. Despite inputting all the recommended ones from the vorpx configuration panel, some games still refuse to show them as an option.

For example, in the Far Cry 5, post by @dellrifter22 here…

Far Cry 5 (G3D)

…the recommended resolution is 16:9 (2560×1440). But after adding the res to my Nvidia settings, the game still won’t go higher than 1920×1090.

What could be the reasons for this?

moadepth
    Participant

Hi, seems to depend on the game , maybe due to their render engine they restrict it ingame who knows ? whats about far cry 4 does it work there ?

Smoils
    Participant

Some games can detect your hardware (monitor) and not go higher, some do it doe to desktop resolution being set low and you are running borderless.

You can try to set desktop resolution to what you want in game, then set game to borderless and restart it, see if anything changes, then set game to fullscreen and restart it, see if anything changes.

Lastly you can set it to fullscreen, quit, find game settings, put in custom resolution and make settings file read only.

lipplog
    Participant

Some games can detect your hardware (monitor) and not go higher, some do it doe to desktop resolution being set low and you are running borderless.

You can try to set desktop resolution to what you want in game, then set game to borderless and restart it, see if anything changes, then set game to fullscreen and restart it, see if anything changes.

Lastly you can set it to fullscreen, quit, find game settings, put in custom resolution and make settings file read only.

Thanks. I figured it may be my 2D monitor screwing it up. I tried changing that monitor to the res I wanted in the headset, but it didn’t work. I’ll try your other suggestions.

lipplog
    Participant

Hi, seems to depend on the game , maybe due to their render engine they restrict it ingame who knows ? whats about far cry 4 does it work there ?

I just tried Far Cry 4, and yes it works. Was able to play in 2560×1440.

Maichevsky
    Participant

Thank you for the solutions! :) Maybe these should be included in the custom resolution section of the app? A lot off games I tried gave me this very problem. Could make things easier for newcomers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a headsup that while Far Cry 4 requires 16:9 resolutions to work right, in most other FullVR games that’s a waste of GPU resources.

On a sidenote: Wasn’t there a notification shown by vorpX about 16:9 when you launched the game? There definitely should be one, IIRC in the headset as well as in the top/left corner of the game window.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!