Performance/Quality Tweaking with Custom Resolutions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Performance/Quality Tweaking with Custom Resolutions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Watchy
    Participant

I don’t understand why you recommend 1280×1024, it is not a 8/9 resolution like for example 1080×1200 and 1600×1800.
    I even tried 3200×3600 in old games (ut99 dx9) and it is nice and smooth if i set “Direct Mode GPU Sync” to “Fast”

lipplog
    Participant

You should have basic to medium knowledge in regard to using Windows and your graphics driver control panel to follow these steps.

vorpX now has support for arbitrary game resolutions and aspect ratios. You can take advantage of this to substantially improve both performance and quality in many games. Here’s how to do it:

1. Create a custom resolution with aspect ratio 8:9 in your graphics driver control panel. It can be anything, but a few options are: 1280×1440, 960×1080, 1600×1800, and 1920×2160. A good choice quality wise is 1280×1440 (if possible on your PC). If you are after performance, choose 960×1080. You can create the resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst/Vision Control Center. Not all the above resolutions are possible in every case. If you want to set a resolution higher than your monitor allows, you may need an externel tool like the Custom Resolution Utility.
    2. Select the newly created resolution in-game. If it does not show in your game’s resolution list, you may have to set it manually by editing an .ini file or the registry. Instructions can usually be found via Google.
    3. Depending on the game, you may now not need an FOV as high as before. If that is the case for your game, about 100 are enough now, instead of 120 before. As a pleasant side effect, this trick enables you to play titles that don’t permit FOV to be set above 100 degrees without having to resort to workarounds like using vorpX’s letterbox modes.
    4. You may need to adjust “Separation (3D-Strength)” to maintain a correct world scale in the game’s vorpX settings. For example from 1.0 to 0.6.

That’s should be it!

Here’s how it works: in the Rift, each eye view must be rendered with a fixed aspect ratio of 8:9, since the 16:9 display is divided between the left and right eyes. Because traditional games don’t typically render at this aspect ratio, vorpX normally gets around this by setting the FOV to something really big (about 120-130 degrees). Although vorpX doesn’t render all of it in all cases in the end, this is still a very wasteful process, as all internal game calculations are done with this high FOV. By using a custom 8:9 resolution, we can ensure that the game only has to calculate what is really shown on the headset.

With special thanks to reddit user u/eVRydayVR.

Hi Ralf,

Is this still a relevant post? Can I still use these steps to create a custom resolution? What if my desktop display isn’t capable of ratios like 8:9? It’s a cheap flatscreen TV.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In general this is still valid, although 8:9 isn’t the best aspect ratio anymore for CV1/Vive (still possible but slightly too narrow). A good idea are 5:4 and 4:3 resolutions, which do not have to be added to the Windows resolution list manually, making this easier.

If your monitor does not support the resolution you want to try, you can try to run games windowed. This often allows them to run at resolutions that are larger than the monitor would allow in fullscreen mode. Best possible 4:3 resolution quality wise would be 1920×1440. Probably too taxing for most newer games though.

lipplog
    Participant

Best possible 4:3 resolution quality wise would be 1920×1440. Probably too taxing for most newer games though.

Thanks, Ralf! I always try to add the windowed command to the launch options. What resolution would you recommend for newer games like GTA 5?

Marco
    Participant

I’m playing with gtx970 and the Vive. I have been trying quite a lot and i think that the best resolution with most games is 1280×1440, which looks really good in this headset. I wouldn’t go under that as it affects negatively the image more than lowering the ingame details imo.

lipplog
    Participant

I’m playing with gtx970 and the Vive. I have been trying quite a lot and i think that the best resolution with most games is 1280×1440, which looks really good in this headset. I wouldn’t go under that as it affects negatively the image more than lowering the ingame details imo.

Are you running GTA V in 1280×1440 with Pixil 1:1, Letterbox 1, or Letterbox 2?

sponge101
    Participant

The highest I could go is 2048×1536 while maintaining that 4:3. Tried 3200×2400-4:3 and 2560×2048-5:4, but they didn’t show in the setting (wish I could increase resolution even further). Also tried inputing 2 in the Oculus pixel density tool and I think there’s a difference but not sure to be honest.

As long as I can maintain reasonable fps I would gladly increase resolution with tradeoff in performance. Though the 6700koc and 1080oc are holding up very well. Only when I’m doing something crazy is there a noticeable temporary stutter.

sponge101
    Participant

Has anyone managed to hit 2560×2048-5:4? My t.v. is only 1080p so I’ve been trying the Nvidia and CRU tool but can’t get past 2048×1536. I even tried editing the Rockstar setting.xml file but no luck. Things would look so clear at this res.

sponge101
    Participant

Help! Vorpx no longer render at 2048×1536 for GTA 5. Could this have been taken away?

lipplog
    Participant

Help! Vorpx no longer render at 2048×1536 for GTA 5. Could this have been taken away?

Have you tried forcing it by typing it in your Steam Launch Options for GTA?

sponge101
    Participant

@lipplog. Thanks for your reply. That’s one option but the workaround I did was not only create the custom resolution in Nvidia, but then to also apply it. Before I didn’t have to do this because Vorpx would recognize the res change automatically.

I pushed it harder by going with 2560×2048–That’s way beyond what Ralf recommends for this game and I had to turn down some things, but man does it look good. I can’t go back to lower res again.

lipplog
    Participant

Could you share your specs and your GTA settings? I’m guessing you’re using an Oculus Rift? I’d be shocked if you could get the Vive OpenVR to handle those frame rates.

sponge101
    Participant

Yep, it’s the Rift. Settings are all max except shadow quality is set to normal for performance. MSAA off because heard it affects 3D. Windowed-mode; Aspect ratio: 4.3. Flawless Widescreen tool is a must! Correction: for some reason GTA 5 and Vorpx are rendering at 2554×2020–close enough. Things are just so less blurry!

My spec: 6700k@4.5ghz, Seahawk 1080oc@2.1ghz, Asus Z170a, Corsair DDR4 2400MHz Cas 10, 950 and 850 SSDs.

TheIronWolf
    Participant

I hope developers of vorpx could explain this a bit:
    Native CV1 resolution is around 2160×1200, and each image is formed from half the horizontal width. Resolution will 1080×1200 and it is very close to recommended 8:9 ratio. However, it looks to me that image is becoming clearer and clearer going up from this setting, why is that?

Is there a way for vorpx to output image in native CV1 resolution? If so, we could just use that, and just apply AA on top of it. Though I guess I am oversimplifying this :)

TheIronWolf
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘Performance/Quality Tweaking with Custom Resolutions’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!