Codemasters Dirt 2/3/Grid

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Codemasters Dirt 2/3/Grid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Tankshell
    Participant

Hi guys,

Can somebody tell me how well the current Vorpx beta works with these codemaster games?

I have been using Vireio for the last few months in conjunction with opentrack to play Dirt 2/3 which works quite well, but I have to disable shadows in the game settings as there are problems with rendering them in stereo. Currently Grid is totally unsupported in Vireio so I can’t play it at all.

I konw Vorpx supports Grid, so that is a good start. Does Vorpx do anything specifically to help with the shadow rendering in these games whilst in geometry mode? Or will I still need to disable them to avoid the strange flickering issues?

Based on the answer to this question I might purchase a copy of the beta.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Hi Tankshell,

vorpX has a shadow fix for GRID in Geometry 3D. It’s not 100% perfect, but the vast majority of shadows look fine. See the screenshots below:

GRID Oculus Rift vorpX

GRID Oculus Rift vorpX

Tankshell
    Participant

Great thanks Ralf. Does this apply to dirt 2 and 3 also. I assume it might as they all run on the same EGO engine…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Definitive yes for DIRT2, not 100% sure atm for DIRT3, but I think so. Both games currently have to be forced to DX9 for Geometry 3D, but that’s easily doable with an .ini tweak.

BTW: Another benefit of vorpX is that you get (limited) head tracking in Codemaster games, since vorpX can use the head tracker as gamepad axis.

Tankshell
    Participant

I have purchased and tried vorpx beta with dirt 2/3 and grid now.

Dirt 2/3 both work great, there are still quite a lot of shadow rendering problems on the cockpit interior, but it works better than Vireio at the moment. World scale and opponent cars feel perfect.

Grid also works, although shadows have same problem on car interiors. The most annoying thing about grid when in geometry mode is the world scale and opponent cars. Opponent cars feel tiny, like toy models, for some reason. And seem to pass through the cockpit when you get close to them, spoils the experience somewhat.

Overall though, glad I picked up the beta.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Glad you like it overall. :)

The scaling issue can easily be solved by lowering the ‘Eye Separation’ in the menu. It’s too high per default in GRID. About half of the default value should look correct.

Tankshell
    Participant

Interesting, thanks Ralf. I had assumed that as my Vorpx config is tied to my Oculus SDK config utility profile (which has my IPD set correctly), it would have automatically set the correct IPD and eye seperation values…

Or is this not how it works?

Come to think of it, as far as VorpX is concerned, are IPD and eye seperation not the exact same thing?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exactly, IPD and Eye Separation are indeed two different things. The IPD determines how far the image centers are apart on the Rift screen (it’s a real world setting, so to speak), while the Eye Separation determines the distance between the stereo ‘cameras’ in the game, which influences the strength of the 3D effect and thus the perceived scene scale. In other words: Eye Separation is the virtual IPD in the game.

RJK_
    Participant

DIRT 2

BTW: Another benefit of vorpX is that you get (limited) head tracking in Codemaster games, since vorpX can use the head tracker as gamepad axis.

It is kind of ridiculous to call this game “supported”, the headtracking only has 3 positions , middle left and right. This is not headtracking this is crap.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is not correct at all, but the gamepad stick emulation that vorpX has to use in these games still is not ideal since vorpX can’t control how a game is translating the simulated gamepad input data into camera movement.

Luckily there is a workaround that provides better headtracking: most Codemasters racing games have TrackIR support, so you can use OpenTrack to simulate TrackIR input with your headset instead of using the built in thumbstick emulation.

RJK_
    Participant

Tanks for Answering, i was just a little annoyed because i bought especially these games for VR. Is opentrack easy to use with vorpX?

mpmo
    Participant

I would also like to know this, did you get trackir to work with vorpx? if so, how exactly? i’m currently away from home so can’t try it myself right now

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s fairly easy.

1. Run OpenTrack.
    2. Select Oculus or SteamVR as input depending on your headset and ‘freetrack’ as output
    3. Press Start.
    4. Disable head tracking in the vorpX config app.
    5. Launch a game that has TrackIR support.

Caveat: some games may require you to enable TrackIR somewhere in their options menu.

mpmo
    Participant

ahh greatly appreciated once again, raf.

RJK_
    Participant

Thank you very much !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!