Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    pintman
    Participant

What about monitors only allowing you to set the custom resolutions to 60hz as this is, in mine and many others, the highest refresh rate the monitor is able to display? Does it make a difference?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not unless your happen to have Vsync forced on in your graphics driver control panel.

pintman
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

frankalexandre
    Participant

I use triple monitors, so do i need to add a custom resolution for each one?

aLi3nZ
    Participant

On this topic – I would like to know if 8:9 resolutions are still a good way to go? There was talk of this some years back about it being good for improving performance with VorpX full VR

I tested an 8:9 resolution myself 1600×1800 in Dishonored 2 and everything worked awesome with that res.

aLi3nZ
    Participant

Hi, I believe I found the answer and more related info searching and reading previous threads. Sorry I didn’t see option to edit or remove my previous post. 1 previous thread had some very detailed explanations from Ralf if anyone is interested: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/amazing-trick-to-really-improve-exeprience/

rustyshackleford
    Participant

last time i updated nvidia driver all the custom resolutions got deleted and I had to re add them. Anyway to prevent that from happening?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The nVidia installer normally shows a checkbox labeled “Perform clean installation” before the actual install starts. If you leave that unchecked, your existing driver settings, including custom resolutions, should remain. At least when you do a “Custom” install, not sure whether the installer shows this checkbox when you do the “Express” install

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Just a quick note that for quite some time now AMD has had an equivalent function to the DSR function. They call their VSR and it’s effectively the same thing but for some reason they don’t offer as many resolutions. I’ve used in the past and it works quite well.

Mellon
    Participant

I am still confused about this option.

I have 3 PC’s and I have the Vive Cosmos. 1 PC has two 980 TI’s in SLI and a 4K monitor. The other PC has a 1070 and a 2560×1440 monitor, and 3rd system is a Laptop with 4K LCD and 1060 TI.

If I’m reading the Cosmos Vive’s specs, it says that it has a total resolution of 2800x1440p

So what resolution should I be setting inside the Vorpx menu within a game?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For a lot of supported games vorpX can handle that automatically, so after adding the resolutions to your GPU driver you essentially just select a preferred quality in the vorpX menu. Rule of thumb: go as high as you can without sacrificing too much performance. 1440p typically looks fine, but no harm in trying something higher if that doesn’t hurt performance too much.

If vorpX can handle resolution automatically for a game, the above is all you have to care for.

If vorpX can’t handle resolution automatically, there is one other thing to consider: aspect ratio.

Play style Cinema/Immersive Screen Mode: a bit up to your personal preference, but generally I would prefer widescreen (16:10, 16:9) resolutions for these play styles.

Play style Full VR: to avoid rendering stuff that is never shown you typically want a ‘narrow’ res in FullVR mode (or 4:3 if a game doesn’t work with those) if possible. So far still easy, there is one potential exception though that makes Full VR a bit more tricky: if you have to lower ImageZoom a lot to compensate for missing FOV in a game, you may see black bars not only above/below the image, but also left and right with ‘narrow’ or 4:3. In that case widescreen would make sense even for FullVR.

Minabe
    Participant

Hey Ralf, have a question, which aspect ratio would be best for playing with “aspect ratio correction” set to “letterbox 2”?

The thing is that using 4:3 res i get really big black bars that won’t go away even with zoom at max, i guess “Pixel 1:1” is the most correct setting but the scale of the world tends to give me a headache after a while and i just can’t play long sessions that way.

Not sure if changing the aspect ratio would change the black bars, in case it wouldn’t, maybe you could add a higher zoom?

Keep up the good work.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

I normally try a lot of different aspect ratios to find what works best. Lost Planet at 16×9 has black bars. I use 2280×2400 which is 19×20 aspect ratio looks a bit stetched vertical but looks great. No black bars.

rustyshackleford
    Participant

does the refresh rate matter when setting custom resolution?

Seph Swain
    Participant

I have several questions:
    – Is there an answere to the multiple-monitor question yet?
    – Can I check if I set up my custom resolutions correctly?
    – Do I have to set the game’s resolution to one of the custom ones?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!