Desktop Viewer not launching with v17.3

Homepage Forums Technical Support Desktop Viewer not launching with v17.3

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    svarni
    Participant

The “Desktokp Viewer” app is not launching anymore with VorpX 17.3. I have fully wiped VorpX (including registry+licence) and re-registred, but still no success.

Anyone else having this issue? Please leave a note here :)

I REALLY miss this function as I’m sitting on the back side of my computer monitor when in VR and not being able to use the desktop is quite annoying.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There have been no changes to the desktop viewer in the recent release. Only thing that comes to mind is an injection conflict, specifically a virus scanner issue, which can happen after an update although all was working fine before.

To check that, please exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning (C:\Program Files (x86)\Animation Labs\vorpX).

svarni
    Participant

Thanks for your super quick reply!

I added the whole folder to the exclude list (and also simply disabled the realtime/online scanner) but it does not help.

If I disable the “Watcher” and then select to start the Desktop Viewer, I get an entry in the task bar for the Desktop Viewer, however my Oculus software is not even fired up. This usually happens automatically when launching a game through shortcut or when the Watcher is enabled by starting an appropriate app.

When I enable the Watcher again, the task bar entry for the Desktop Viewer disappears immediately.

No differences at all when I start the Oculus software manually. I also dont get an entry in my Oculus library for the watcher (usually it get’s added there when not already present).

svarni
    Participant

How can I debug this? Is there a log file to inspect?

When I select to start the Desktop Viewer, the taskbar entry opens and closes immediately.

Also, trying to start the Desktop Viewer does NOT start the Oculus Software! Why is that? Can I find any log files for this? VorpX starts Oculus Software once hooking into a supported game, but not for my Desktop Viewer anymore. This can’t be on Oculus fault?!

svarni
    Participant

I’m still having the issue with current versssion 1.8.3.1

I figured out that running

vorpxDeksop.exe /?

will show the help window for a fraction of a second, then it closes without me closing it.

If I disable the vorpx watcher, and run

vorpxDeksop.exe /?

again, the help windows will stay until I close it or until I start the watcher again.
    Back then, when it worked, I could start the desktopViewer without Oculus software being active. The Desktop Vewer would then fire up the oculus software. I still try with and without Oculus being started, but am I right that it still should be started automaticall?
    I’m asking because I’m using this to ensure that it’s not the wrong oculus version (I use the old one which runs with Windows 8.1).

Please, how can I debug this? There is no console output I’m aware off.

I really miss the desktop viewer.

svarni
    Participant

PS: I’m using dual monitor setup (beamer and monitor), but when selecting a single output only (using WIN+P hotkeys), it still does not work.

svarni
    Participant

PPS: I have no “Windows Defender” service running.

I also looked in the the threads below, but nothing helped so far:

Desktop Viewer

Vorpx Desktop Viewer not working with Oculus (Please Help!!)

Vorpx Desktop Viewer not working with Rift CV1

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you use multiple monitors, you could try to add a recently added start paramater that allows to define the monitor you want to be captured (e.g. vorpDesktop.exe -output 1). Possible values are the desired monitor number or ‘all’ (without the quotes), the default is 0.

svarni
    Participant

Thank’s for your quick reply!

I tried the -output option using argument 0 and 1.

With -output 1, I get “output specified to be duplicated does not exist with 0x887a0002” (when watcher is disabled, otherwise the windows disappears to fast to read).

With -output 0, I just get a short flicker of a vorpx symbol in the taskbar (with watcher enabled). With watcher disabled, the taskbar entry stays, but shows no window and nothing when hovering or clicking on it.

Always, oculus software is not started. And when started before, no desktop viewer is starting :(

tqj34
    Participant

Hi community,

unfortunately, I’m also experiencing the issue of a not working desktop viewer in 1.8.3.1 like sven does. I’ve just bought vorpX at Black Friday a few days ago and was especially curious about that function. As attaching to games works perfect I guess it has nothing to do with background programs. Attaching to Opera or VLC Player doesn’t work neither.

Any further suggestions?

Greetings,
    Alex

Ralf
    Keymaster

The obvious thing first: the desktop viewer does not work on Windows 7.

If your system meets that requirement (likely), please create a trouble shoot data archive in the config app and send that to support |at| vorpx com. Maybe your logfiles it contain some useful information.

tqj34
    Participant

Hey Ralf,

thanks for your reply! I’ve submitted a data archive to the support almost 3 weeks ago but didn’t get an answer so far.
    Should I send it again?

Alex

Ralf
    Keymaster

There might be an issue with the desktop viewer on Windows 8.1. If possible please update to Windows 10. Theoretically it should still work on 8.1, but apparently doesn’t. Will be investigated later, but due to the extremely small number number of Win8 users (0.8% in the lastest Oculus survey) this issue doesn’t have a high priority currently. Thanks for your understanding.

tqj34
    Participant

Oh, that’s too bad. Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!