Elder Scrolls Online with Vorpx

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Elder Scrolls Online with Vorpx

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Harti
    Participant

One import think I encountered: Always start ESO in Windowed Mode. I switch ingame to full screen to avoid the game losing the focus. When I stop playing I swithc back to window mode. Sometimes I forget it or crash, than I have to start the game in full screen, start a char (mouse does not work, only gamepad) and switch back to windowed mode and restart. Its sometimes a pain, but this works fine for me :)

gtuf1
    Participant

Check out my new profile… gtuf1. I think I managed to get the HUD set up in a great place with the FOV filled better than having grey bars at the bottom. Has made the game that much more immersive. Works on 1080p, 4K and higher… Really loving playing this is VR. It’s close to Skyrim VR at this point! Let me know what you think!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a little heads-up that unless you managed to somehow raise the game’s actual camera FOV above its maximum, your profile will make the game look slightly zoomed-in and introduce some warping when you rotate your head.

If you are OK with that, all good, of course. Just be aware that the default settings that vorpX provides are dialed in on purpose to make sure the game and the headset FOV match correctly.

etarm
    Participant

Thanks gtuf1, it didn’t work for me — looked okay if I just use the mouse to move, but when I look around using the headset, everything swims. I’ll stick with Ralf’s vorpx profile, though I set the camera view angle to 100 rather than 130. 130 makes all the people look small to me — 100 seems just about right. To each their own, I guess. Seems like every headset is a little different.

Ralf
    Keymaster

While indeed each headset is different, the way vorpX handles FOV does not depend on the headset. For official FullVR profiles things are always dialed in so that the default profile settings and the recommended (or automatically set if possible) game FOV result in matching game/headset FOVs. That’s the most crucial thing to get right for FullVR mode since even small differences between game and headset FOV are fairly noticable in FullVR mode. So typically you don’t want to change anything here from the default values, at least not in FullVR mode. Cinema and immersive screen mode are way less critical in that regard.

Scale is best adjusted with the 3D-Strength option, you can imagine the 3D-Strengh as the distance between your virtual eyes. Lower 3D-Strength values make the world appear larger, higher 3D-Strength values make the world appear smaller. Defaults in official FullVR profiles are supposed to provide a realistic 3D effect normally. Without (rarely available) information about a game’s coordinate system scale what is right here has to be guessed though and obviously I’m not perfect, so some small 3D-Strength adjustments may occasionally make sense to get things right for you.

etarm
    Participant

Thanks Ralf. So, you’d recommend instead of reducing FOV to 100 degrees in the game settings, setting the game options to 130 degrees and playing around with 3D strength until the scale feels right?

I still wonder how much effect sitting vs. standing has on scale. When I stand up, things look a little larger than when I sit down. Is the game (or vorpx) scaling the world based upon the height of my headset?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exactly. Best to leave the FOV related stuff at the recommended defaults and only use the 3D-Strength for scale finetuning if necessary.

Seated or standing doesn‘t make a difference. Only thing I can imagine is that in games with positional tracking the changed distance to the floor may make things appear slightly different after standing up. Try to recenter the view with ALT-SPACE.

moarveer
    Participant

Hey Ralf today I tried Vorpx using Oculus instead of SteamVR and indeed it worked great. ESO worked like a charm with flawless performance at 1080p, I even managed to get it quite playable at 1440p with some AA and looked great, the two bars really kill a lot of the immersion, but I’ve to admit that scale is spot on that way.

Also tried Bioshock Infinite and it was buttery smooth and looked great too, so mistery solved, thanks for the suggestion, I don’t know what was the problem with SteamVR, but I won’t be using it much from now on.

Maylor
    Participant

You can switch it from grey to black in the settings by switching it from ambient to none

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!