[SOLVED] Fallout 4 – Head tracking problem with Vorpx 16.1.1

Homepage Forums Technical Support [SOLVED] Fallout 4 – Head tracking problem with Vorpx 16.1.1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

@Tony Spaniels: While you are in pipboy vew there is now head tracking at all unless you go to EdgePeek mode. That’s how the game works. It fixes the pipboy to the screen like a menu screen. Maybe that seems like inverted head tracking to you, but in fact it’s glued to the direction you look at and doesn’t move at all in any direction.

Use EdgePeek, it’s there for exacly such things like using menus comfortably.

Tony Spaniels
    Participant

Hey Ralf. Ok but then the screen shouldnt move if there’s no headtracking correct? It definitely moves now and in the opposite direction to where I am looking. Normally pre 16.1.1 I also used edgepeek when I used the pipboy as there was no headtracking then either and it was too close to camera. So I can assure you I know the difference between how it was before and how it is now, trust me :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only thing that might cause movement while you look at the pipboy is the timewarp. Other than that there is no head tracking.

If that is heavily noticable, you probably are running with a very low frame rate. In that case I would highly recommend to switch to Z-Buffer 3D, which prior to this version was the only available 3D mode.

You can check your frame rate with [ALT][F]. It should show at least 50fps, better 60-70 for comfortable playing.

@ grodenglaive: The same thing for you. Switch back to Z-Buffer 3D. Bars sliding in from the side are timewarp being (too) heavily at work, which means frame rate is too low for comfortable playing.

Tony Spaniels
    Participant

Ok I had a look at the FPS and it was about 29fps with Geometry and 36fps with z adaptive with settings on Ultra, which is the graphics preset that I used with 0.8 before using z adaptive and I was getting a smooth 60-70 fps.
    I tried presetting it down to low and I got a slight increase in performance up to 35 fps using G3D and 45fps using adaptive. So something is definitely up for me with 16.1.1.
    By the way its not just in pipboy that I get the odd inverted movement. I get that in the loading screen and in the games main menu also. And there is still the problem of the doubled head tracking in normal view mode.

I’ll see can I get a video uploaded although Ive not done that before.

Fyi I havean i7-4790K cpu @ 4.000ghz, 32 gigs of RAM and 780ti gpu.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You get the very same time warp effect in every menu that is fixed to the screen with low frame rates. That is perfectly normal. Improve your frame rate and it will be gone. It’s also always a good idea to use EdgePeek in any menu as this is way more comfortable. I wouldn’t even recommend running Fallout 4 on ultra settings with a GTX980Ti BTW.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by double head tracking to be honest. If the game view turns too fast, please re-adjust the head tracking sensitivity on the head tracking page of the vorpX ingame menu.

Tony Spaniels
    Participant

Ah no! Looks like 16.1.1 is borked for me then :(. I have set the graphic settings down to low (when I used Ultra before using 0.8 and it worked fine, certainly the tracking didnt move as it does now) and I still get this. I also of course adjusted the headtracking sensitivity in game using the vorpx config but Its still adding extra headtracking so that my fov moves off center so if I look fully to one side for example, I eventually see the edge of the screen like its in cinema mode. Im also getting issues with GTA V which ran fine before too.

I’ll see if I can get a video uploaded maybe then you’ll understand what Im talking about.

grodenglaive
    Participant

FWIW I’m having the exact head tracking problems as Tony. I tried to make a video, but the issue doesn’t show on the desktop mirror.
    Anyway – I’m off to test skyrim next…

dellrifter22
    Participant

It sounds like I’m having the same issue with GTA 5, I tried to explain it better in this other topic:

GTA 5 on 16.1.1 (full vr) head tracking problem

Mack1000
    Participant

It’s hard to describe, but when I look right or left I the screen peels away from my view and I see off the edge of the screen; almost like it’s in cinema mode.

Yeah same for me (odd and difficult to describe). Its like a screwed up backwards virtual cinema mode (or edge peek). Fallout 4 was fine in the previous release. Glad its not just me. Head tracking seems backwards and there is a screen in front (virtual cinema works fine btw).

Same thing happens for me in Bioshock infinite and Alien isolation.

This doesn’t happen for Skyrim or Dishonored (completely fine in those two).

Ralf
    Keymaster

Maybe it’s a DK2 SDK1.3 issue on some machines. Please send a mail to support |at| vorpx com to get an older vorpX version that works with runtime 0.8. This solution is only viable for DK2 owners.

Mack1000
    Participant

Similar sounding issue here

Issue with head tracking

Mack1000
    Participant

Maybe it’s a DK2 SDK1.3 issue on some machines. Please send a mail to support |at| vorpx com to get an older vorpX version that works with runtime 0.8. This solution is only viable for DK2 owners.

Ok, if its just a DK2 issue I’ll just wait for my CV1 (I can still play a few games). Got too much other stuff now that needs 1.3. It’ll make the CV1’s arrival all the more sweet.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It was a DK2 issue, and you can apply a fix immediately if you want. I will release an update later today.

To apply the fix manually please

1. Close vorpX if currently running.
    2. Browse to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Animation Labs\vorpX\Devices
    3. Open OculusRiftDK2.ini with Notepad
    4. Search for iTimewarpMode
    5. Change iTimewarpMode=0 to iTimewarpMode=10
    6. Save the file
    7. Restart vorpX

The AppData folder may be invisible. If so, please enable “Show hidden files” in Windows Explorer

Mack1000
    Participant

It was a DK2 issue, and you can apply a fix immediately if you want. I will release an update later today.

To apply the fix manually please

1. Close vorpX if currently running.
    2. Browse to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Animation Labs\vorpX\Devices
    3. Open OculusRiftDK2.ini with Notepad
    4. Search for iTimewarpMode
    5. Change iTimewarpMode=0 to iTimewarpMode=10
    6. Save the file
    7. Restart vorpX

The AppData folder may be invisible. If so, please enable “Show hidden files” in Windows Explorer

Ok, I’ll give it a go when I get home. Cheers

grodenglaive
    Participant

cool beans, will try tonight!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!