Fallout 4 Resolution Settings

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Fallout 4 Resolution Settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Please dont lough. Need some hints whats the best resolution for Fallout 4. The game let me choose only 16:9, guess i would have to tweak the ini to 4:3 ? (or does DirectVR compensate or ignore that in this game ?)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just select your preferred quality on the DirectVR page of the ingame menu and restart the game afterwards. Go as high as your PC allows performance wise.

Based on your chosen quality DirectVR automatically figures out the best resolution factoring in your headset, resolutions supported by the game and your PC, even various vorpX settings. The auto resolution algorithm is quite good at doing that, I might add (and more complex than one would think).

RJK_
    Participant

All right, thank you Ralf !

RJK_
    Participant

Is there a special setting required to get the game running with vorpx ? Ive tried different modes like alternative, desktop shortcut, “dont optimze game settings” ticked/unticked but vorpx doesnt hook . When starting game i get a message in a dark grey box like “this game doesnt support vr and will be displayed on desktop”, then when clicking ok and play, game will start but vorpX wont hook. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It should just hook fine by starting it frm Steam. It’s also not really known to be a trouble maker in this regard, quite the opposite in fact. Maybe try launching fallout4.exe directly instead of using the launcher (although I think that just brings you back to the launcher IIRC).

vorpX shortcuts don’t work with most Steam/Uplay/Origin etc. games due to the way the clients overtake the start process.

Can’t really recommend anything else than checking for the usual hooking issue suspects, although that would be a bit odd comsidering how regularly you use vorpX. Still: try to disable absolutely everything running in the background that you even remotely suspect to potentially interfere.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks Ralf,
    This is a bit weird. Ive tried one or two other games like Trine2 and Darksiders and they both hook right away. No matter which way i start them they always hook. ( either through the steam client or directly ).
    Perhaps i am doing something wrong because i am new to steam.
    (steamVR is already running befor i start a game, but is deosnt seem to make a difference if not)
    One thing ive notice is that when starting a game through the steam client i get that grey box saying “this game doesnt support vr and will be displayed on desktop” (is that supposed to happen ?).
    When starting the two other games directly the message does not appear, but when starting fallout 4 directly the message comes up too. The VorpX window “Attaching” is in the background but nothing happens. Perhaps another windoes 7 issue ? Ill keep trying out though. :-/

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can safely ignore this message. Steam normally launches non-VR games in a (rather crude and slow) 2D theater if a VR headset is present. That’s what this message is about. vorpX diables the Steam theater though. In addition to that you can disable the VR theater either globally in the Steam options or per game on the game properties page. Shouldn’t be necessary though.

Trine 2 and Darksiders both are DX9, FO4 is DX11, so maybe you have some background program that interferes with DX11.

Just in case: I probably won’t reply to further posts anymore today (Saturday, 10PM). Will check back tomorrow.

Under normal circumstances the game should just hook fine by launching it from Steam. Not much else I can suggest anyway.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks for your patience Ralf. Ill investigate in the DX11 direction then. Besides ill send a log via email just in case.

Ralf
    Keymaster

One more thing: make sure that Fallout4Launcher.exe is on the excluded programs list in the config app. Only Fallout4.exe is supposed to be hooked. Per default that is the case, but maybe your exclude list is corrupt for some reason.

RJK_
    Participant

The launcher was exluded.
    To see if something with the DX11 is wrong i hoocked into F1_2010 through DX11 and there was no problem, the issue seems to be game specific.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Can’t really suggest anything else than above, sorry. It’s not only still one of the more popular vorpX games among users, it actually happens to be the single most used DX11 test case here during development.

RJK_
    Participant

I guess i have to live with it :-( Just one last note, the vorpX attaching window opens quite a few seconds after the game itself already has started and stays “attaching” until i shut down FO4. – Oh and when doing some debugging Fallout couldnt find a few api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.DLL files, not shure if that would effect vorpx though. Thanks for your help so far.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Maybe you should consider an additional Windows 10 PC slowly before Windows 7 celebrates its 10th birthday in a few months.

Also check whether you maybe copied any DLLs to your Windows 7 that are made for current Windows versions. Just a guess, but your missing DLL name sounds suspiciously uncommon for Windows 7.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a short heads-up that there also is no general Windows 7 issue with the game. Hooks as flawlessly as expected from FO4 in 10/10 tries here.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks much for testing that out.
    Do you have the “KB2670838” update on your Win7 machine ?
    I am asking because there was this https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/dgvoodoo2-on-windows-7/#post-173103 dx11 feature level thing last year with the win7 hook on dg… (oh no not again ) going on. Perhaps thats what breaks the hook. Hope i can deinstall that update for a test.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!