Far Cry 4 black screen

Homepage Forums Technical Support Far Cry 4 black screen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Incidentally I had this for the first time ever yesterday while checking Far Cry 4 for other reasons. First it showed in the headset, then it looked as if the game changed the display size during init whithout vorpX being able to catch that change and adjust as it normally would and I got a back screen in the headset. Very odd. Next launch went well again though.

I’ll take a closer look at the game at some later point. For now I would second matteo39, trying multiple times might/should help. Also running the game windowed instead of fullscreen might be worth a shot if my above theory is right.

jeroenvangeel
    Participant

First it showed in the headset, then it looked as if the game changed the display size during init whithout vorpX being able to catch that change and adjust as it normally would and I got a back screen in the headset. Very odd. Next launch went well again though.

this is happening for me also. was working 1 out of 10 time maybe.
    cant get it to wordk anymore though.
    matching resolution with desktop doesnt remove the “size change on login”.
    this is what goes wrong i think.
    starting vorpx after login screen doesnt attach anymore for me.

jeroenvangeel
    Participant

got it working again!!

problem: on login screen, on key press. blackout.
    solution: remove all files in /user/mygames/farcry4/random number.

then, DONT mess around into the ingame setting menu when in VR! that makes mine go black again.
    if you want to change resolution, shut game down, go in /user/mygame/enz. and change values in “GamerProfile.xml.vorpxbak”.
    then start again. (but stay out of setting menu ;)).

matteo39
    Participant

got it working again!!

problem: on login screen, on key press. blackout.
    solution: remove all files in /user/mygames/farcry4/random number.

then, DONT mess around into the ingame setting menu when in VR! that makes mine go black again.
    if you want to change resolution, shut game down, go in /user/mygame/enz. and change values in “GamerProfile.xml.vorpxbak”.
    then start again. (but stay out of setting menu ;)).

and if i mess around into the ingame setting menu? what can i do, after?

matteo39
    Participant

please help with this problem with fc4

matteo39
    Participant

Ralf, please help with far cry 4: official profile won’t hook anymore, and there is also the black screen problem.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem here with hooking into the game. If you suddenly encounter hooking issues with a game, there probably was a change to your system that created a conflict with some other program on your PC that also hooks into games like vorpX.

if you haven’t done so already, please check the trouble shooting post on top of this sub forum. It pretty much has all relevant information regarding conflicts with other programs.

vintager
    Participant

Okay, I can confirm FC4 doesn’t work out of the box.

I’m trying to play it on WMR (Samsung Odyssey+), and I was unfortunate enough to buy the game on Steam, not knowing it required Ubisoft Connect–which means it has to fire up both clients at the start. Maybe that’s part of the problem.

Anyway, I can only get into the main menu by using the old trick from this forum: pause the Watcher, start the game, wait for the loading screen, resume the Watcher. However, after that, the picture appears blurry as sh*t, zoomed (I can’t see the HUD), and there’s no G3D. It’s absolutely flat.

All the other games I play with Vorpx hook perfectly (NFS Rivals, NFS Shift 2, Half-Life 2, Rage with the unofficial profile, albeit the latter, being OpenGL, doesn’t have G3D either). I’ve tried shutting down all the non-essential Windows processes–including the antivirus–rebooting the PC, reinstalling the game and Vorpx itself etc. etc. etc.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that Vorpx adds the following element to the game’s profile:

<CustomQuality>
    <quality ResolutionX=”1280″ ResolutionY=”720″ OtherQuality=”low” EnvironmentQuality=”low” AntiPortalQuality=”default” PortalQuality=”default” PostFxQuality=”low” TextureQuality=”low” WaterQuality=”low” DepthPassQuality=”low” VegetationQuality=”low” TerrainQuality=”low” GeometryQuality=”low” LightingQuality=”high” ShadowQuality=”low” ShadowCinematicQuality=”low” EditorQuality=”default” Hdr=”1″ HdrFP32=”0″ ReflectionHdr=”1″ EnableVertexBinding=”1″ id=”custom”/>
    </CustomQuality>

Would really appreciate some support here!

vintager
    Participant

Oh, and I forgot to mention–launching DirectVR scan while in-game disables the head tracking altogether.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just checked this for you again (UPlay version). Can’t really suggest anything more than earlier in this thread already. Best thing to avoid the occsional black screen issue before the main menu is running the game windowed.

As far as the DirectVR scan is concerned, it should be pretty reliable in FC4, but of course the disclaimer that is shown during each scan also applies here: short version: auto scanning through a game’s memory in search for a single camera rotation/position address is a fairly complex matter and there always is a chance for failure.

If the scanner “thinks” it succeeded, but in fact didn’t, head tracking would get disabled. Worth a shot to try again from a different start position/angle. If that also doesn’t succeed, you can disable applying the menory scanned tracking on the DirectVR page of the ingame menu to go back to mouse based tracking.

vintager
    Participant

I think my last post here got deleted somehow.

vintager
    Participant

Here’s what I wrote:

Hi Ralf! Thank you for responding (if not solving the issue), I greatly admire your work. Vorpx is a wonderful tool.

Forget the DirectVR scan, I’ve only mentioned it because I thought it might help you debug the problem.

First of all, most people here are running the Steam version. If it’s not too much trouble, would there be any chance of you testing Vorpx on that version? If the integration only works for the Origin one, it’s okay, the game’s on sale right now and I don’t mind spending another 15 bucks–however, I want to know if it’ll work first.

Meanwhile, I think I’ve figured out what the root of the problem is.

1. If the Steam version is launched with Vorpx trying to inject itself from the start, the injector messes up with the loading process somehow; this is evidenced by the fact the loading with Vorpx enabled takes 3-4 minutes as opposed to the normal ~20 seconds without it.

2. More specifically, Vorpx seems to prevent the game from connecting to the Ubisoft servers. After displaying the FC4 logo and trying to “log in,” the main window goes unresponsive while the headset switches to pitch black.

3. After a prolonged period of time, the main window comes back and spews out a message saying it can’t connect to the FC4 servers. After that, it’s possible to start the game offline in Windows, but the headset never recovers.

4. The only way to prevent this is to pause the Watcher and resume it after the loading finishes and the Ubisoft logo appears; however, in that case, the injection itself doesn’t proceed properly, and G3D remains disabled.

I would really appreciate your support here. I only bought FC4 to play it with Vorpx–I’ve got no other use for a 2014 FPS.

vintager
    Participant

If it’s of any relevance, I’m running the Steam version with the “Season Pass” (i.e. all the DLCs installed).

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll grab the Steam version on occasion, definitely not today though, it’s Sunday over here too. :)

I meant the Uplay version above BTW, sorry for the confusion. Seems to be on sale there too currently, so that might be an option. Always better to have only one DRM client involved than two. Judging from your post that doesn’t really seems to the issue though. If vorpX already is hooked, it sounds unlikely that Steam gets in the way, apart maybe from its overlay. Worth a shot to disable both the Steam and the UPlay (respectively Ubisoft Connect since a few weeks) overlays.

vintager
    Participant

Okay, so after two days of straight f**king with the game’s, Steam’s, Uplay’s, and Vorpx’s settings, I’ve figured out the problem, the reason behind it, and the solution.

Why it took me so long: there’s not one, but two issues at play here. One is hampering Vorpx and causing the black screen, another is directly caused by Vorpx itself. Because of that, it’s difficult to figure out what’s happening.

ISSUE #1 (THE SECONDARY ONE)
    (At least in the Steam version of the game,) Vorpx’s injector messes up with FC4’s loading process.

Because of that, loading takes ~5 minutes instead of ~20 seconds, and the game will freeze on “Login succeeded.” You’ll need to patiently wait until it unfreezes and displays the “Cannot reach Far Cry 4 servers” message. After that, you won’t be able to play online.

This issue will persist even if you solve Issue #2.

PARTIAL SOLUTION: obviously, to prevent Vorpx from f**king up the loading process. To achieve that, pause the Vorpx’s Watcher, start the game, wait until the Ubisoft logo comes up, resume the Watcher. The loading process will take the usual 20 seconds, and you will be able to play online, but Geometry3D will remain disabled, and the game will give you a light vertigo.

ISSUE #2 (THE PRIMARY ONE)
    If you change FC4’s graphics settings via the in-game menu, FC4 WILL SET THE REFRESH RATE TO 60. THIS WILL CAUSE THE BLACK SCREEN EVERY TIME YOU’LL TRY STARTING THE GAME.

This is why somebody in this thread had suggested deleting all the files from the MyGames folder: if you do that, the refresh rate will revert back to 0.

SOLUTION: Start the game with Vorpx, kill it or exit it properly, go to c:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 4\[uuid]\, and update both GamerProfile.xml.vorpxbak and GamerProfile.xml, setting RefreshRate=”0″.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!