Far Cry 4 black screen

Homepage Forums Technical Support Far Cry 4 black screen

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    vintager
    Participant

Sorry for double-posting! Please delete the extraneous comments.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem, seems like the thread is somehow messed up in the database, noticed odd behavior when posting my replies earlier today too.

As far as the issue is concerned, the pause-vorpX-and-hook-later workaround should only be done by anyone who actually encounters this issue. When vorpX hooks after the game initialized its renderer, the game may show up in the headset, but as you noticed it’s too late to do everything that needs to be done for 3D to work. So this workaround should be the absolute last resort.

vintager
    Participant

Ralf, are you able to reproduce the black screen issue by setting the RefreshRate to 60 in your GamerProfile.xml?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll check that next week. I only encountered this myself once when I ran the game fullscreen. My impression was that the game switched the display mode a moment before, which would fit in with your observation, sounds definitely promising. If I can confirm it, I’ll add the refresh rate ‘0’ change to the DirectVR auto settings.

vintager
    Participant

Thanks!

vintager
    Participant

Here are some more bugs (or are some of them features?):

1. Regardless of which anti-aliasing mode you choose, Vorpx rewrites the config to set it to “2.” The only way out here is to run the game without Vorpx, do the setup, run the game with Vorpx, disable rewriting the config, then change the anti-aliasing mode in the text editor (because if you do it in-game, FC4 will set the refresh rate to 60 and Vorpx will black-screen).

2. With G3D, the bloom layer has an incorrect depth, and the picture is literally falling apart. I’ve got the same problem in Need For Speed, but obviously not in Quake4 and other older games which don’t make use of post-processing.

3. G3D FPS is horrendous. I get 120 FPS on ultra-high without Vorpx; 28 FPS with Vorpx (identical config). I can understand Vorpx halving the FPS, I can understand a small injection penalty (let’s say -10 FPS?), which would bring me down to 50. But 28? It’s literally unplayable on my rig.

Ralf
    Keymaster

1. not a bug. If vorpX sets an an .ini value, it does that for a reason. Can’t remember currently what that was in this case, the profile was done several years ago, but you can be certain it doesn’t happen out of the blue for no reason.

2. mmmh, played at least two or hours or so when I made the profile originally without encountering anything that I would describe as ‘literally falling apart’. If you have a savegame that shows what you mean, please send it to support at vorpx com.

3. doesn’t sound right. Please try to reset the profile to default, don’t crank every game setting up to ultra and go easy on the resolution.

vintager
    Participant

Re 1)–I too had figured it wasn’t a bug, that’s why I wrote that maybe some of the things I’d listed were features.

Re 2)–I don’t know how best to describe it. G3D works perfectly on the world geometry itself, but the bloom around the specular highlights feels like it’s sitting in a totally separate, flat layer glued to the screen. It’s right there in the first scene (“the dinner”), so I doubt a savegame would help much. I’ve got the same problem in NFS Rivals. I saw somebody on the forum mention the same about another game.

Re 3)–Yes, I get it that I can speed things up by cranking down every setting, but that’s beyond the point. I’m playing on a GTX 1070 which admittedly isn’t a top dog, but I presume something’s not right if it goes from 120 to 28 (more than 75% decrease in performance–c’mon). Is there a way to profile the game to find out where the bottleneck is (GPU, video memory, CPU?).

vintager
    Participant

Any ideas?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not right now, sorry. Sunday for me too. :) I’m a bit occupied with other things currently, but will check whether anything has changed recently that I would consider ‘literally falling apart’ and if so the profile will be updated before the next release.

If you changed any vorpX settings (especially if you raised the 3D-Strength value or changed something else 3D related), please reset the profile to its defaults in the config app. All settings are dialed in right per default to provide correctly scaled, realistic 3D.

vintager
    Participant

Hi Ralf, thank you for responding on Sunday–you can be sure I’ve tried all the config variations. The only two things Vorpx does really is change the FOV and change the AA mode in case it’s anything other than “2.” I didn’t change the FOV, and I tried both “2” and “4” for the AA, with the FPS being abysmal in both cases and the bloom layer “standing out.”

In case of NFS Rivals, I didn’t touch the config at all.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s possible that some effects like blooms/flares are rendered in 2D by games, so they might not always have depth, which by the way isn’t always wrong from a physics perspective since in reality some of them would occur within the camera. If you are offended by it, it’s worth checking whether the game has an option to disable the effects in question. I typically do not disable such effects on purpose when I author profiles, neither with automated settings changes nor through shader disabling, since I consider it better to have them than not to have them, but of course your taste in that regard may be different.

vintager
    Participant

Any updates on these?

– Is there a way to profile the game to find out where the bottleneck is (GPU, video memory, CPU?)

– Are you able to reproduce the black screen issue by setting the RefreshRate to 60 in your GamerProfile.xml?

PS I’m slowly getting frustrated by this support forum.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Currently there is not much time to look into much more than Cyberpunk, sorry. I’ll take a look at the game after the holidays. There never have been any unusual performance issues with the profile though, and since there hasn’t been any update to the game for quite a while, it’s unlikely that there is some new issue suddenly. Your calculation above doesn’t factor in that vorpX raises the game FOV to match the FOV of your hedset, which usually has a pretty huge impact on performance since a lot more has to be rendered with a higher FOV.

If you didn’t try that already, I would suggest to first reset both the vorpX profile and all game settings to default. From there your main options in regard to optimizing performance are: game resolution, game detail settings, switching from G3D to Z3D. Find a combination of these factors that works with at least half your headset refresh rate or more on your PC.

As far as the forum in general is concerned: I answer as much as I can here, seven days per week, but in general forums – this included – are mainly tools for user to user communication.

Falcon
    Participant

I can confirm Far Cry 4 does not work. Uplay version in my case (although it seems that’s not the issue).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!