Far Cry Primal – As good as Cyberpunk!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Far Cry Primal – As good as Cyberpunk!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ParadiseDecay
    Participant

My Initial Impressions:
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in VR and one of my FAVOURITE Far Cry games!
    * Full VR Mode
    * Play with Mouse/Keyboard or a Gamepad.
    * Geometry 3D 5/5
    (If you recently played and enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 in VR with the VorpX standalone mod, you’ll LOVE this, its just as good and plays the same!)

Demuse
    Participant

I’ll second this, I really enjoyed Far Cry Primal with vorpX.

Yet… not quite as good as CyberpunkVR. For me, the decoupled headlook (and aiming functionality) with the Cyberpunk mod is the critical feature to make it feel like a proper VR experience, and avoid the dreaded “gun-face” feeling. Or spear-face, as the case may be.

avery527
    Participant

Why your resolution can turn to 1600 x 1200, i only can turn 1400 x 1080 ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Worth mentioning that in contrast to some VR mods (including the vorpX Cyberpunk mod) regular vorpX G3D like in Far Cry Primal and most other vorpX G3D games correctly renders both eyes at the same time instead of one eye per frame.

Forcing 3D to flat games by only rendering one eye per frame is *A LOT* easier than doing it right, an order of magnitude (more likely two) is no exaggeration. However, no native VR game would ever do that, since it can be fairly jarring with fast motion. Some of these issues can be tricked away, but a lot of weird issues remain. ‚Normal‘ vorpX G3D does that right.

@ Avery:

You probably have a 1080p monitor? Check the thread linked below, it explains how to add resolutions to your PC that are higher than your monitor can display (at least for nVidia GPUs):

Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

angelayla
    Participant

Hi PD, have you mentioned that this game can work with Cyberpunk VR Vopx mod? In that case this mod could also be valid for other games? Thank you!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not PD, but the Cyberpunk mod only works with Cyberpunk. While it uses vorpX’s rendering pipeline to display the image and its input handling for motion controller support, the 3D conversion and a lot of other things are done via a mod script based on the Cyber Engine Tweaks modding framework and the vorpX mod API that had been added a while ago.

VRified Games
    Participant

I agree Primal works great in VR

However, for me personally it’s a big deal, although I do conceed that many don’t play with this feature

The positional tracking doesn’t work so great with this profile

For me positional tracking really helps with immersion

But, having said that the 3D, hud and performance is fantastic

Pyrocles
    Participant

Far Cry Primal was the first game I tried when I got VorpX. It works well, and makes a good game great.

I had to turn off the shadows in the VorpX control panel, though. They were seemingly rendered in only one eye.

mariametro
    Participant

Does this have 6dof? No offenece to paradisedecay, but the guy runs a lot of videos claiming games are fullvr with working headtracking and either 6dof is non-existent or the stereo doesn’t render correctly (like Doom2016). Would like clarification on that before I purchase the game.

VRified Games
    Participant

No 6 DOF….or rather there is, but the lighting/shadows make it unusable

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yep, in principle 6DOF tracking can be enabled in every G3D game, but in games with modern deferred renderers that may cause fairly heavy shadow glitches. In such cases it’s often better to stick to 3DOF although technically 6DOF would be possible.

As far as official profiles are concerned: if 6DOF isn’t enabled per default, it’s almost certainly better to leave it off.

elliotttate
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I really thought AER was quite inferior until I tested a game using both methods and couldn’t really see a difference. Synced frames at 90 hz (rendering 180 fps for both eyes) vs. 180 fps AER running at 90 hz. All that “jarring at fast movement” goes away.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sure, at 180fps the issues become less obvious. But that’s purely theoretical for newer, more demanding games. Most people without super highend GPUs are lucky if they can run demanding games at 60 (i.e. 30 per eye with alternate frame 3d). At such a framerate there are a lot of highly uncomfortable situations.

There’s a reason why no aftermarket 3D injector (let alone any native 3d game) over the course of 25 years ever worked that way. The very first private vorpX builds 10 years ago, when the whole VR gaming community was maybe a few hundred enthusiasts large, used alternate frame rendering because it is so much easier to implement. Didn’t even make it into the first public release… Just mentioning that I plan to do that caused a backlash big enough to send me back to the drawing board.

Besides: the starting point for vorpX back in the day was my wish to play Descent in VR, an ages old, fast paced shooter. In a game like that with constant fast motion alternate frame 3d is fairly sickening even at twice the display refresh rate. I have that on good authority. ;)

Maichevsky
    Participant

Sure, at 180fps the issues become less obvious. But that’s purely theoretical for newer, more demanding games. Most people without super highend GPUs are lucky if they can run demanding games at 60 (i.e. 30 per eye with alternate frame 3d). At such a framerate there are a lot of highly uncomfortable situations.

There’s a reason why no aftermarket 3D injector (let alone any native 3d game) over the course of 25 years ever worked that way. The very first private vorpX builds 10 years ago, when the whole VR gaming community was maybe a few hundred enthusiasts large, used alternate frame rendering because it is so much easier to implement. Didn’t even make it into the first public release… Just mentioning that I plan to do that caused a backlash big enough to send me back to the drawing board.

Besides: the starting point for vorpX back in the day was my wish to play Descent in VR, an ages old, fast paced shooter. In a game like that with constant fast motion alternate frame 3d is fairly sickening even at twice the display refresh rate. I have that on good authority. ;)

I am here (in VR) since the kickstarter off DK1, man was I happy VorpX existed in those first years :) I had no idea there was a VR community before that, I would have joined sooner!

drowhunter
    Participant

I don’t see what the big deal is, AER works great now and I have even run it with framerates as low as 60 without too much issue other than some artifacting around the edges.

I hope you haven’t given up on adding it as a mainline rendering option. As it would make a tone of games playable in 3d that I could only wish for.

To me options are good. For those that don’t like it they don’t have to use it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!