How is VorpX doing (sales-wise)?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion How is VorpX doing (sales-wise)?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    ToxicMike
    Participant

… also if vr will not become mainstream in games, it will survive in the hardcore gamer scene and the business section.

Funny how i wasn´t caring anymore about VR a few months ago (being an oculus-rift-s owner since a year!) and now i am hoping so much for it to succeed in every way, even when i am probably still using it more or less for theater-screen gaming” lol.

I as well was having a few “scenarios” in my head, on how VR will probably do in the future, with vorpX probably playing a major role in it!

I recently talked to a friend of mine who is into VR and i asked him if he ever tried to make use of those virtual-desktop/theater-screens and he said no. That reminded myself of how i was seeing it, i actually thought that those theater screen are crap and the only reason for me trying it was actually that i wanted to have this one last experience before i am giving away my goggles, actually saving VR for me, as i said on multiple occiasions here. Anyway, my point is that people should be more aware of how great it is to make use of virtual-desktops/theater-screens because obviously people seem to focus too much on this exclusive VR-stuff, which is in my opinion by far not THAT great as the things being possible with vorpX and the chance to play far better games than most of those exclusive vr-games could be.

jjensson
    Participant

Regarding the Patreon suggestion, i’d support this.

Adil3tr
    Participant

Facebook VR is good for Facebook, that’s it. But we need Vorpx more than we did before. A patreon isn’t a bad idea, but it would definitely mean he would have to deal with people’s expectations a lot more. If he can release on steam, I think that would be a good idea.

Dave
    Participant

A few years ago Helix had a Kickstarter, and the result was that they noticed how small the group of “3D Gamer” was.

Vorpx should be sold by a 12 Month license at 99$ or more, if it will be necessary to survive in the small “3D market”.

If VR will become mainstream and flatgames are dead vorpx as a 3d driver isn’t longer necessary, but we need vorpx than to play all native vr games with a gamepad or keyboard and mouse, like we love do it today with vorpx !

We all are buying several Triple A Games every year, and are not able to pay enough for vorpx, that Ralph can give us with vorpx the greatest gaming moments ever ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

Since this topic seems to be fairly interesting for a lot of regulars, first let me say thanks for your continued support over the years! For those who weren’t around that early: vorpX was born practically together with the very first Oculus Rift devkit 2012/13 when the worldwide VR gaming community consisted of a few hundred do-it-yourselfers. I actually still have a taped together self-built prototype stashed away in a drawer somewhere. Back then I considered vorpX to become obsolete one way or the other within a few years, either because VR would vanish into oblivion again or noone would be interested in vorpX anymore. Yet here we are, it’s 2021 and vorpX is still around. Wouldn’t have been possible without you!

If you feel you got enough enjoyment out of vorpX that some extra payment might make sense, the easiest way would be buying another copy. Doing that every other year or so, maybe when you upgrade your PC, would be totally awesome. Entirely without having to pay for some sort of subscription, and – equally important – without causing additional work for me, like e.g. a Patreon would.

Or just do what you ever did: have fun and spread the word!

RJK_
    Participant

If i may give a little comment on the matter, in my opinion this discussion (at least the title of it) may give readers new to vorpX the impression of vorpX beeing not as professional or important as Nvidia or whoever else. Noone would come to the idea to ask in an Nvidia forum how Nvidia is doing “saleswise” and absolutely noone will ever be able to guess how many millions of copies of VorpX have been sold or not. Regarding 3D, VorpX beats anything else on the market. Thats a fact and we shurly all agree with that. –
    Better spread the word as Ralf said as possibly make the product look “small” by guessing into the blue without any sales informations.

ToxicMike
    Participant

Vorpx should be sold by a 12 Month license at 99$ or more

I actually had in mind of asking if Ralf wouldn´t be better off doing it this way rather than making users buying it for this really small price for once.

On the other hand….

We all are buying several Triple A Games every year, and are not able to pay enough for vorpx, that Ralph can give us with vorpx the greatest gaming moments ever ?

…as of this moment, i am also with those people who easily could afford paying 99 Euros every year (or even more) and i am one of those guys who think 36 Bucks are actually “nothing”, especially compared to the joy vorpX is bringing, so I am currently still wondering how someone could complain about the price of vorpX.

But as i said, this is “currently” the case! With all that covid-shit going on, no one knows how future looks like and there could be alot more people having job-related problems (being workless for longer periods) and/or generally earning far less money than before the crisis kicked in…..meaning that currently i am even not sure myself if i am still earning the same amount of money within the next years and one day i could find myself thinking “Uh oh! 36 Bucks isn´t that cheap!”

…now when i remind myself of the current “graphic-card-crisis” then i should better stop thinking about the future already…..

Maichevsky
    Participant

Hi Ralph, I really would like to support more, but buying the product again & again is a weird thing to do. I don’t think many people will do this. I wouldn’t have even come up with that idea, if you didn’t mention it. Is it hard to setup a Patreon or a simple recurring donation system? I am sure there will be more people like me that would gladly make use off this.

Using VorpX since DK1, I just love playing AAA games in VR! thank you for all the great work man! :)

pierre_montaigne
    Participant

That’s a great idea, I would definitely support it through Patreon

Mazzle
    Participant

FWIW, I make positive posts about vorpx all the time on reddit, and I don’t get downvoted. I often get positive, curious responses. The negative posts I see always seem shallow (in the sense that they only tried it once or say something that is demonstrably inaccurate), so they’re easy to respond to. I just try to be honest and detailed and only talk about games I’ve played through in vorpx.

It feels a bit weird saying this about anything, but I also wish there was a way people who purchased vorpx could donate more. I wouldn’t have bought half my steam library if it weren’t for vorpx. I feel like Ralf deserves a chunk out of each of those purchases.

jjensson
    Participant

Well said, Mazzle.

What i noticed a couple days ago in r/OculusQuest in a post about VorpX was that there were much more upvotes and positivity than in the recent past. Either the public opinion is beginning to change for the better, or most of the whiners and haters have “left the building”.

Given that i’m not the most busy/helpful person here on this forum, i’m trying to compensate at least by telling outsiders why i love VorpX so much, and why it completely changed the way i play games, and help with suggestions were i can (mostly on Reddit, PCGamer and RoadToVR/VRUpload). []-)

RJK_
    Participant

Hmm, just an idea, how about some “Merchandizing”, example:

I think this could be a nice way to additionally support VorpX.

ToxicMike
    Participant

What i noticed a couple days ago in r/OculusQuest in a post about VorpX was that there were much more upvotes and positivity than in the recent past. Either the public opinion is beginning to change for the better, or most of the whiners and haters have “left the building”.

While you could be right about reddit whiners and haters could have left the building, reddit-upvotes still mean shit, there are so many useless posts and submissions, getting upvoted with about hundreds to thousands of upvotes and i guess not even the upvoters know why the fu** they actually upvoted it, on the other hand there are really great posts and submissions and they just not attract the right people or have other bad luck not to get upvoted as much.

At the end reddit´s whole voting- and karma system is useless crap, as every voting system who is allowing negative downvotes, especially in times like this, where people vote down on you coz they have a bad day or for any other stupid reason they may have.

Mazzle
    Participant

I could see why maintaining a Patreon presence may be more work that you don’t want. I don’t know if this helps, but I used to just use paypal to take donations for a few popular mods I made back in the day. All I did was set up an alternate email address for donations, something like vorpx.donations at gmail com, and added it to my paypal account.

One nice thing about it is that you’ll occasionally get a generous whale that will make a large donation. I remember one guy dropped $500 on me with a super nice note about how much it improved his experience, which blew my mind. (This was back ~2005.) I suspect you’d get a lot of those types of donations, given the nature of your product and how easy it is to get a new wow effect every time you try it with a new game.

Minabe
    Participant

AFAIK Patreon is more work not only bc he’d need to actually make one and keep it updated, but bc of how taxes work (depending on your country ofc, not sure where Ralf is from), also, Patreon would just be leeching from both Ralf and the vorpX community.

Seems like a bad idea from the start

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!