Skyrim – Is this supposed to look good?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim – Is this supposed to look good?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    kkkiwi
    Participant

So I’ve been fucking around with this for hours and I really must be missing something simple. I have followed the directions provided and the game looks like absolute shit, with horrible pixelation. If I run it in 2D at 2560×1440 it is perfect, but in the headseat it is unplayable. No matter what resolution I try it just looks the same. Any ideas?

ArticTiger
    Participant

So fallout 4 looks fine for me (It’s a bethesda game so similar enough)- don’t mind the start of the video I was having unrelated issues as well as the sound not recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQ2InamTJI

My settings for this game are 1280×1440 in a borderless window screen. I recommend playing around with the FOV, mine is actually set to 135. Also make sure to turn off all blur types.

If everything else fails, try some mods?

borus
    Participant

It seems like there’s a pretty sharp divide between people who feel Skyrim, Fallout, etc look AMAZING in VorpX VR, and people who feel it looks like total shit despite adjusting with the settings ad infinitum. Maybe this is a hardware issue?

I’d be curious from any past and future posters to know what graphics card and processor you have, and whether you’re on Oculus or Vive.

I’m running an MSI 980 GTX with an i7 processor, and a Vive Pre. Pretty much all other VR apps look fantastic for me (Steam or Oculus store), but I’ve given up on Vorpx for the time being.

borus
    Participant

Also: does a VR screen capture / video capture tool exist yet? Could be helpful for the “shit” camp to hear the “amazing” camp say “Oh yeah, that DOES look terrible,” or “Nope, that’s the game!” — if such a tool were to exist. (But I’m guessing it does not…)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Maybe you could describe what you think looks “shit” or “terrible”. vorpX takes the rendering of Skyrim (or any game for that matter) exactly like it is rendered on the monitor and then displays it on the headset. vorpX can’t make a game nicer than it is and obviously is restricted by the headset’s max. resolution, which of course looks a lot lower than your monitor’s resolution due to the ~4-5x lens magnification.

Difficult to understand what you possibly expect besides rendering a game to the headset. If you use a resolution that is high enough to maps one image pixel to one screen pixel on the headset (which would be 1920×1440), any game looks as good as it possibly can on the headset.

borus
    Participant

That’s actually what I’ve been saying from the beginning of the thread — that my expectations might have been too high.

I’m loving the way the high-end VR stuff looks on the Rift — eg The Lab, Bullet Train — and by comparison Skyrim appears to be low-res with a “dirty” or messy quality. My immediate hunch was that this is just a function of taking a game intended for monitor play and blowing it up to VR… but people seemed SO pumped at their Skyrim VR experience that I just wondered if maybe I was missing something.

That said, I’m definitely curious to see what Bethesda does with Fallout 4 VR next year. Going native VR is bound to be pretty rad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

TBH I think something is not correct on your end, whatever that may be.

While the default resolution recommendation (1280×1024) is indeed slightly lower than the perfect res would be since it is intended as general compromise between performance and quality, this is not true in the slightest for 1920×1440 (provided your PC can handle that), which provides the same image quality as native apps.

And if you have an extremely fast PC, you can even go beyond that with vorpX and supersample with the highest possible res your PC allows. vorpX can handle any resolution you throw at it.

In Skyrim and a handful of other games you can also supersample using the “Internal Resolution Upscale” option in the vorpX ingame menu.

kkkiwi
    Participant

I apologize for being ambiguous. I will try to explain better here. For reference I am using an i5 4690K/980Ti/16 GB RAM/500 GB SSD/HTC Vive/SteamVR Beta, all stock settings.

This is what my game looks like in 2D:

View post on imgur.com

Using these settings:

View post on imgur.com

This is all default vanilla stuff, no mods. No I will try the default VorpX settings as applied by the Game Optimizer in VorpX:

View post on imgur.com

To be clear in the above screenshot I disabled AA for testing purposes.

OK so at this point I see now way to take a screenshot of what I am seeing in the HMD while VorpX is running.

– Trigger + menu button on Vive controller takes a black screenshot
    – FRAPS screenshot does nothing

In any case, what I see is the foliage looks like very low res 2D sprites, extremely pixelated, and I get around 25 fps.

I’m going to try GTA V and see if something similar happens.

Why does VorpX have no way of taking an in-game screenshot?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Resolution:

As said a few times above, the default res of 1280×1024 is a general compromise between quality and performance.

For the best possible image quality use 4:3/5:4 resolutions like 1600×1200 or 1920×1440. If you know how to do that, you can also use custom resolutions with the exact aspect ratio of the headset screen, which will be slightly faster. 1080×1200 or 1296×1440 for example. The latter is quite close to the Rift/Vive internal render resolution and provides the same image quality as native apps do.

In Skyrim and a handful of other games you can alternatively supersample with the “Internal Resolution Upscale” option in the vorpX ingame menu.

If you want foliage antialiased, you need to activate AA and also force transparency AA in your graphics driver. This will reduce performance noticably though. Skyrim itself does a hard on/off transparency on foliage, nothing vorpX can do about that.

Performance:

Skyrim with Geometry 3D is mainly CPU bound with vorpX. Since it has to render everything twice and on top of that there is an additional overhead, performance in Skyrim isn’t exactly great.

With an unmodded Skyrim at medium to high settings you should get about 45fps in most parts of the outside map with Geometry 3D (more in interiors, less in towns and areas with dense vegetation).

To enhance performance you need to lower graphics settings (especially object draw distances) and/or switch to Z-Buffer 3D, which doesn’t look as good but is a lot faster.

ArticTiger
    Participant

Also: does a VR screen capture / video capture tool exist yet? Could be helpful for the “shit” camp to hear the “amazing” camp say “Oh yeah, that DOES look terrible,” or “Nope, that’s the game!” — if such a tool were to exist. (But I’m guessing it does not…)

On my channel I capture the left eye portion of my display mirror of the Vive, works pretty well.

kkkiwi
    Participant

Would you care to share how you accomplish this?

ArticTiger
    Participant

Would you care to share how you accomplish this?

Bit of a pain to set up, I use 3 monitors next to my vive to do it. My display mirror is showing on my 1440p monitor and I do a region capture on my OBS to stream it to my Twitch, and save it to disk as well.

Only problem is, in VR you can’t check if the recording is going well! I didn’t notice no sound on the fallout vid because of this :)

I’m gonna be checking out many VR games that weren’t intended for VR on my channel so this gives the best compatibility.

borus
    Participant

Is there a certain piece of content that we might want to use to benchmark our settings? For instance I’ve until now been starting a new Skyrim game, saving immediately after the character creator, and then testing from there. It looks lousy BUT I have heard that towns in particularly don’t look that good in Skyrim. (Although on the flip side, they’re enough a part of the experience that if towns fail, the whole game should probably fail, IMO.)

prinyo
    Participant

The problem with Skyrim looking good is that you need to give up on high-res textures in order to achieve a stable 45 fps. And you get to look at the vanilla textures up-close. So the magnificent and beautiful Skyrim you are used to is now somewhat not so magnificent.
    I managed to keep SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement Mod) in my mods list and it does a pretty good job at making the in-game world look nice. I’m also running the game at 1920×1440 which makes the world sharper and most of the HUD readable.
    Despite all of the graphics problems I find the whole thing quite amazing, because this IS the actual Skyrim after all. :-) If it was some other world I would have been somewhat skeptical, but after 650+ hours in that game to actually enter it’s world was one of biggest nerdgasms I’ve ever experienced. One of my wtf moments was when I actually felt(!) how tall my character is. I’ve been playing with this character for several months but looking thru his eyes changed quite a lot of my experience with the world.

If you want to test different areas – open the console and type “tmm 1”. This will show all markers on the map so you can port to different locations.

The Geometry 3D is not harming my fps, but produces a constant flicker. Is there a way to fix this?

(i7-4790, GTX 980)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you using a Vive? If so, flickering means frame rate being too low. The OpenVR runtime is made for 90fps with a 45fps fallback option. Below that things fall apart unfortunately. vorpX can deal with these situations to a degree with its custom async timewarp, but there are limits to that.

While performance will be OK in many areas, you definitely will always encounter areas with a frame rate below 45fps with Geometry 3D in Skyrim unless you severly reduce detail (at least the medium quality preset is required). Either that or switching to Z-Buffer 3D are the only options to get the Vive working reliably with Skyrim under all circumstances unfortunately. No way around one of these.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!