Skyrim – Is this supposed to look good?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim – Is this supposed to look good?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    borus
    Participant

At the risk of oversimplifying: does that mean it IS possible to get the game looking great on oculus, but not on Vive?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can get it look good on Vive too by following the hints given above. I would really like to understand what doesn’t look good in your opinion, but I honestly can’t. Sorry.

prinyo
    Participant

I see, the flickering starts when the game fps drops below 30.
    What is the difference between Normal and Adaptive Z mode?

I managed to make Skyrim “look good” by doing those things. By looking good I mean it looks the same way good when I run it on the TV screen (I use a TV as a monitor).
    1. 1920×1440
    2. 120 FOV
    3. SMIM (mesh replacer) Important as it fixes lots of the vanilla meshes and textures shortcomings.
    4. Image zoom – 75-80%. More than that and the problems with textures are more visible. And I feel most comfortable with this level.
    5. Body, clothing and face replacers – vanilla NPCs are quite ugly and when you get to look at them in real life proportions…
    6. ETAC – Expanded towns and cities – the buildings added by the mod are quite well made. Wasn’t sure if I should add this to the list, but someone mentioned earlier that cities are important.
    The only few mods I had to get rid of are HD textures and I’m planning to make a small selection of HD textures that can be used without harming the performance (like the snow cover). In this regard the fact that the game has to run on Z3D actually helps make it more beautiful because it can handle more upgraded textures.

From what I understand Oculus will not flicker when the frame rate falls below 30. And that is the difference between the two systems. But the question is – do you really want to play at 15 – 20 fps? Even if you don’t get motion sickness it is still annoying.

blackout115
    Participant

Anyone know how to fix the “huge hands”? It looks stupid as fook. I have tried every methods but nothing seems to work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can set a custom value for fDefault1stPersonFOV in your [Documents]\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini. Per default the vorpX Game Optimizer sets it to the same value as the world FOV, but you can use a higher value to make the hands/weapons smaller (e.g. 140 or 150).

The tricky part is to apply it after changing the ini: for some odd reason once in the game you have to open the 4-way menu (or “star menu”) and from there go to the map. After closing the map the new value gets applied.

R3volve
    Participant

With a great deal of time and patience I have gotten my game relatively stable and good looking, however one thing really bothers me. From what I have read the game loads all textures into both the VRAM and the regular RAM which quickly chews through the hard limit for 32 bit applications.

Supposedly using an ENB will remove the textures from the system memory and only use VRAM, but as many of you already know dll injectors are incompatible with VorpX.

There is a wrapper version of the same thing (I have no idea what a wrapper is) but I cant seem to get it to work… So I am stuck with only using a handful simple mods and low resolution textures or I will constantly hit that hard limit and crash (usually in the form of infinite loading screens).

If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

For now I have resigned myself to waiting for Skyrim Remastered in October to solve all these issues.

revel911
    Participant

Has anyone tried the immersive mod that puts teh camera in the 3rd player view to add body, legs and arms?

prinyo
    Participant

The Injector version of ENB Boost works with no problems.
    I’m running a memory reporting mod and it reports consistent data when running ENB Boost with Skyrim on the monitor or on the Vive via Vorpx.

grumdark
    Participant

Has anyone tried the immersive mod that puts teh camera in the 3rd player view to add body, legs and arms?

Hello revel911
    For me,this mod is absolutely essential to play Skyrim in virtual reality.

I use enhanced camera mod,for the following reasons:
    1. Allows you to view the body, legs and feet, both still and moving.
    2. This mod uses a first-person perspective,but uses animations in the third person,(these are better)
    3. This mod, manages to avoid annoying and unnecessary camera changes from first to third person camera,when sitting, crafting,horse riding e.t.c.
    4. This mod allows headbob off,(involuntary movement head while walking or breathing),it’s kind of like a boat movement.
    Disable this is a great help reduce nausea in virtual reality.

R3volve
    Participant

The Injector version of ENB Boost works with no problems.
    I’m running a memory reporting mod and it reports consistent data when running ENB Boost with Skyrim on the monitor or on the Vive via Vorpx.

I tried using the injector version again, and WOW was that a bitch.
    A few hours of troubleshooting why it wasn’t working and I found the primary culprit.
    It’s working now, so thanks for letting me know it was possible.

For anyone else really struggling to make it work, when you copy the injector version folder contents into your skyrim folder, you have to also copy the enbhost.exe from the wrapper version into your skyrim folder as well. The newer versions of the injector download don’t include this file in both folders like they used to.
    Then fiddle with the ini settings from the enboost to find the combination that has the least stuttering.
    Also make sure you add skse_loader.exe if you use skse to the enbinjector.ini as the very first process.

Make sure you close anything that might have an overlay, (steam overlay, geforce experience, ect… also dont use any monitoring tools such as MSI afterburner… It doesn’t like that)

I managed to get my game down from using 2.6 gigs of memory indoors down to 1.6 gigs.

Thanks for the info Prinyo

revel911
    Participant

How is anyone using a controller? Controller seems all messed up by VORPX which is ruining my ability to play.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can remap gamepad buttons on the gamepad page of the vorpX ingame menu.

Alternatively you can enable the *experimental* Direct Head Tracking on the head tracking page of the ingame menu, which currently is avalilable for Skyrim and Fallout 4. This enables native gamepad support. Be aware though that this is truly experimental. It might or might not work on your PC.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!