like a big Monitor

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion like a big Monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    rodders790
    Participant

i think in my case, its my gpu. its just cant keep up with asynchronous timewarp.
    i dont have to move my head fast though. just move it a little and it looks like a flat panel (delayed) floating in front of me. youtube videos dont steam smoothly either.

as far as 3d. i think it may just look flat because the floting screen is flat. (if that makes sense)

Ralf
    Keymaster

That sounds reasonable. You can check the actual FPS with [ALT][F]. There are two values now. Game FPS and Direct Mode FPS. Direct Mode FPS have to be 75fps at all times for a smooth experience. Game FPS should at least be higher than 40, better 60, and ideally 75.

Oculus recommends a GTX970 class GPU and that’s also the recommendation for vorpX.

Karlor
    Participant

Its all in the set up. Use vorpx menu (del) to adjust to your taste. Skyrim and gta seem to run better after update. Played full vr 3D gta v just fine, infact the 3D effect seems even better after setting it up. Just play with settings you’ll get it.

v_lee02
    Participant

full vr 3D like in a room with a floating panel that has the 2D game on it?

Karlor if your not talking about this what was your settings? (GTA5) I tried everything!

Ralf
    Keymaster
    Karlor
    Participant

Yeah check over all that stuff…

I got mine set up in 1st person with the fov mod. Change all the fovs to 70+… in gta v turn off head bob, motion blur, and the blury disrance, turn of msa for 3d, change all the driving cams to not auto center…

in vorpx turn off cinema, go to pixel 1:1, image zoom around maybe 80ish, 2d fov maxed out(just my taste), head tracking about 85ish, salt to taste…

controller wise I turned off all vorpx gamepad stuffs and used my joy 2 key work around. map mouse to look stick and runto left shft, maybe a few others too but it works great.

Clay
    Participant

That is all a big joke!!!!!!!
    If I turn the Cinema Mode Off and the Pixel 1:1, you’ll sit in front of a big screen.
    The Screen looks like 2D, the view is not correct. I tried everything the last 2 days… this is no VR!
    For example you can test it by youreself. Put the cinema mode off and the image zoom to zero. You always see the big Monitor in front of you.
    There is no 3d, always a big Monitor in front of youreself.

This is no VR!

cl600a
    Participant

I believe image zoom should be max value like 1.0 not 0

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Clay : You HAVE to deal with field of view (FOV) one way or the other. Please take a look at the Essential Game Hints in the vorpX help for the various options you have to do so.

With the FOV set up correctly in many games you can get a perfect experience. In some games that is a one click thing by using the vorpX Game Optimizer, in others it’s a bit more complicated or can’t be done in a perfect way. For your convenience below the according part of the Essential Game Hints. Please still read the guides in the help, they also contain other valuable information.

From best to worst here is what you can do:

1. Set the game FOV directly in the game if it provides to dial in an FOV of 120°.
    2. Set the game FOV directly with the vorpX Game Settings Optimizer (vorpX config app) for games that support it.
    3. Set the game FOV to 120 manually through an ini tweak or external tool (avaliable for many games, google FOV + game name).
    4. Set the game resolution to a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio mode. 1280×960 for example. In many games this helps with FOV.
    5. Use the 3D FOV Enhancement in the vorpX ingame menu (availabe in Geometry 3D games).
    6. Use one of the letterbox aspect ratio modes in the vorpX ingame menu and/or ImageZoom.
    7. Play the game in Virtual Cinema Mode (can be enabled in the vorpX ingame menu).
    8. Use the 2D FOV-Enhancement in the vopX ingame menu (be aware that this distorts the image).
    NipOc
    Participant

I think what rodders790 means is that the fov of the rift/vorpx is smaller or at least that’s the problem that I have. Normally the “screen” would cover the whole 110° but with the new version the “screen” looks like a porthole. I tried everything to change that (game fov, vignette scale, different aspect ratio…), but nothing helped.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can check that by running games windowed and then enabling the mirror window in the vorpX menu. Normally the image should be filled both vertically and horizontically with a roughly 10px vignette.

If it looks fundamentally different from that, please post a screenshot here with exact steps to reproduce. Game, resolution, runtime version, eye cup selection in vorpX, ipd in vorpx, image scale value, aspect ratio setting.

NipOc
    Participant

Here’s the screenshot of VorpX:

And here’s one of Alien Isolation:

And both on top of each other:

Even though the screenshots aren’t perfectly aligned it’s clearly visible that Alien Isolation uses the space much better than VorpX does. I think the free space at the edges is what causes the “screen” to look like a porthole.

Here a screenshot from the old VorpX version:

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can’t see the corners.

rodders790
    Participant

yes that is my problem NipOc.

it is definately different from the previous vorpx release.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you really can see that outer part of the screen corners, you would also have to be able to look a fair bit beyond the top/bottom screen egdes, as the vorpX vignette is an exact circle with half the screen height as radius. Also to me it looks like AI is severely cropped at the left/right edges, which would be *really* bad, as you have less image space in that direction anyway, but maybe that’s an issue with the screenhot.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!