Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    lipplog
    Participant

I saw a YouTube review saying flickering shadows prevent you from playing this gamein full VR mode. Is this true? Before I buy it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Most (hopefully all) shadows should be disabled in Edith Finch, but there seems to be some glitch in the current vorpX version that might prevent that from working under some circumstances.

Just discovered this glitch today in Bioshock Infinite, might also apply to this game. Will be looked into shortly.

lipplog
    Participant

Thanks Ralf. If you’re looking into a fix, then I’m willing to risk purchasing it.

lipplog
    Participant

Hi Ralf. So I bought the game today, but was surprised to find the FOV warped in full VR mode. I tried changing the game resolution (default 1920×1080) but get a crash. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX cannot automatically adjust the FOV for every game, so again the same answer as always when you ask this qustion: please check the “Essential Hints Guide” in the help for the various methods and workarounds that exist to deal with FOV in general and the “1-2-3 Game Setup” for a quick method to set games up for Full VR mode that do not allow to adjust their FOV at all. The method described there essentially uses vorpX’s image zoom to make up for missing FOV.

This answer is the same for every game where no method exists to change the actual game FOV. I cannot give you any other answer to this questio unfortunately, no matter how often you ask it. Sorry again.

Alternatively you can play in Immersive Screen Mode, which I would highly recommend in this case for a number of reasons. Should also be the default for the game.

lipplog
    Participant

I understand. I have attempted to apply the image zoom with head tracking solution, but this leaves black bars on the left and right, as well as top and bottom. I was hoping there might be a way to change the resolution without crashing the game. But if this is the only way to play in full VR, so be it.

Eincrou
    Participant

WRoEF can be played in Full VR, though it takes some extra work because the game’s developers didn’t make a proper PC version.

It’s a bit of a process to make it happen, but my friend, Stereo3DProductions, and I have found a way to make it work. He played in Immersive Screen / Cinema mode in the linked video, but plans on making another video showing how to get it working in Full VR.

The process is a bit technical, so I don’t want to try to explain it step-by-step here in text. It involves using CheatEngine to modify the game engine’s FOV value directly (similar to what vorpX’s DirectVR does), since the game devs didn’t expose any user-configurable way to change the FOV. This Widescreen Gaming Forums thread was helpful.

In the meantime, here is some footage of me playing the game in Full VR with vorpX during one of my World Famous solo livestreams. 😉

lipplog
    Participant

Yes, I tried the cheat engine method, but wasn’t able to tick the FOV box to activate the cheat file. I’ve tried contacting the user who posted/created the CET file but am still waiting to hear back. I hope your friend posts a video tutorial soon. This game in Full VR would be incredible.

EDIT: The link you posted above seems to be a different thread than the one I tried from PCGamingWiki. So I’ll give it a shot and see if I can make it works.

lipplog
    Participant

@Eincrou So close! This CET file seems to work! Although the values the OP lists for various resolutions doesn’t include the resolutions of the game in VorpX (If I try to change game resolution, the game crashes). Any idea what the values need to change to for resolutions in the 4:3 ratio?

lipplog
    Participant

EDIT: Actually, the game settings don’t allow 4:3 ratio resolutions for some reason. Just 1920 x 1080, 1440 x 810, aand 1280 x 720. Anyway. Any idea what value I should set for 1920 x 1080?

budwheizzah
    Participant

(Repost since the original was somehow removed after an edit… TWICE?)

@eincrou
    Thanks for keeping everyone caught up on the process and the possibility of running this game in full VR. Also thanks for the credit :)

If anyone wants to run WRoEF in Full VR I’ve drawn up a document explaining what to do to get everything working correctly and I tried to include every single required step from avoiding a possible game crash all the way to adjusting FOV and everything in between. I plan on making a video with visual aids which should make the process even easier, but for now here’s a PDF file of the instructions me and Eincrou have built up so far.

VorpX Instructions for What Remains of Edith Finch in Full VR

If anyone tries these, I’d like some feedback, notably those using the Steam version which we are unable to test with (since I own the GOG version and Eincrou uses the Epic version)

PS: @Ralf , please add FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe to your default WRoEF profile so we don’t have to rename the EXE or copy profiles when we’re using the Epic Games/GOG edition. Feel free to read through my document as it might help you create a built in profile to run this beauty in Full VR. Thanks for all your hard work, too.

lipplog
    Participant

I just tried it on my Steam version and made it to step 12…

12. Press your “]” key until the FOV value in CheatEngine is 0.01232659351 (Anything near 0.0123 will be ok)

Here’s what went wrong: I am unable to tick the FOV checkbox at the bottom of the cheat engine window. The value reads “??”. And hitting the “]” key does nothing.

Any ideas?

lipplog
    Participant

Here is a screen pic of the cheat engine window if it helps…

View post on imgur.com

budwheizzah
    Participant

Ok, it looks like I need to modify Step 4’s footnote into a step of its own – here are the modified steps:

For Steam edition users, your original game EXE is called FinchGame.exe, while the replacement EXE from step 4 is called FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe, which you should place in the same folder as FinchGame.exe. When you launch the game, manually run FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe (do not run FinchGame.exe or launch the game from Steam)

Copy the WRoEF VorpX profile and bind it to FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe (When you copy the profile, check the “Keep special shader definitions” option) or the game won’t hook properly.

Note: Basically CheatEngine won’t hook to the game if it’s not specifically called FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe.

budwheizzah
    Participant

Ok, the PDF is modified to explain those steps properly. Thanks for the help, I wouldn’t have known of this issue since I don’t have the Steam edition to test with, myself.

Do let me know if these fixed instructions work. You should be good to go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!