Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Profiles and settings can be shared either via cloud up/downloads or as files via drag/drop from/to the local profiles list.

lipplog
    Participant

That would be great.

@budwheizzah
    Would you be okay with uploading the profile to the vorpx cloud library?

As for the head tracking issue, it may be due to my having Logitech mouse software installed. I’ll jusr remove it and use Ralf’s suggested calibration. Thanks Ralf.

lipplog
    Participant

@budwheizzah Just wondering how off my profile is. I do see black border on the left, right, and especially the bottom of my vision. Does this exist in your profile? It’s not unplayable, just want to get an idea of the difference between yours and mine. (If I can figure out how to take screen shots, I can post pics).

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds as if you still have ImageZoom set to something below 1.0 to handle FOV. That obviously doesn’t really make sense anymore with FOV being handled by CheatEngine.

lipplog
    Participant

The guide posted by @budwheizzah has the image zoom setting at 0.75. Which eliminates the black bars on the sides, but leaves a small amount on the bottom. I Assume it’s the result of the game being stuck in the 16:9 ratio?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Image zoom below 1.0 always introduces black bars. Scaling down the image is the very purpose of this option.

Some games have a hardcoded FOV limit, in such cases image zoom might be necessary even on top of an FOV fix. I haven’t tried budweizzahs’s guide, but I assume he had good reason for using image zoom alongside the Cheat Engine fix. So if playing with image zoom is not an option for you, it’s probably better to move on to another game.

Let me know if there is still something you don’t understand regarding the various (ideal) methods and (not ideal) workarounds regarding FOV. Although admittedly for now I’m out of ideas how to explain these things in a better way.

budwheizzah
    Participant

Ok, sorry it took me a while to catch up, here, guys.

First off yes I can upload my profile on the cloud, although it really only is a copy of the original WRoEF profile with very slight changes to it (ie image zoom, separation strength, HT sensitivity)

Secondly the image zoom thing: We’re stuck at a 16:9 resolution (I now own the Steam edition of the game and I’m just as unable to launch that one in windowed mode as I am the GOG edition, both versions crash on launch unless I’m running fullscreen) and thus, Image Zoom at 1.0 is absolutely unplayable given the image is so enlarged, the aliasing is visible and the game is a blurry mess… the game’s artificial AA techniques actually make it worse, not better.

I’ve tinkered around until I found the best balance between pixel density (image sharpness), performance and of course viewing area. In no way, shape or form is the game “unplayable” with image zoom at 0.75. Sure it produces slightly visible edges at the top and bottom, but if you turn “Background” in Image Settings to “Ambiance” you will forget about these edges after 30 seconds of gameplay. The result from this chain of settings is much, much less aliasing without having to use the game’s own terrible blurry anti aliasing methods (basically you leave AA on Low), a slightly lower FOV thus giving the game a boost in performance (the higher the FOV, the more work the game needs to do) and a visible area that’s far superior to cinema or immersive screen modes, all while enjoying that full blown 360 head tracking.

If we could run at custom resolutions, something I haven’t been able to get working yet, image zoom could probably go up to 0.8 or 0.85 while having the same image detail, but right now being stuck at 16:9 there’s not much we can do but endure a tiny slither of visible edges at the top and bottom. Keep in mind the edges are only really visible when you move your head up and down at which point the asynchronous timewarp does its thing.

Ralf has helped me confirm how to make this work with the Steam edition too, so I’ll be updating my instructions guide shortly, providing a solution for each edition.

budwheizzah
    Participant

Ok, good news:

First I uploaded my GOG/Epic edition profile to the cloud. If anyone wishes to use that please be my guest. The name of the profile is “What Remains of Edith Finch (GOG/Epic)”.

Second, I’ve updated my instructions document and it should now cover ALL versions of the game. Take care that some steps have a different action for the Steam or GOG/Epic version, and other steps are only for the GOG/Epic version. If you’ve made custom profiles for the game before, or downloaded some off the internet, scrap those and start from scratch as my instructions show you how to either use the built-in profile (Steam) or create a proper copy for the game (GOG/Epic).

Updated What Remains of Edith Finch VorpX Guide for Full VR

budwheizzah
    Participant

@lipplog Also, it seems I screwed up with the head tracking for one specific reason: I actually blasted the game’s mouse sensitivity and forgot I had done so, then adapted my HT sensitivity value to that maximum setting. I do believe your setting is likely correct, although I’ll try to get my profile updated for this properly, along with my instructions document.

After juggling all these possibilities (different versions, different cheat tables, etc) I totally dropped the ball on the mouse sensitivity :D LOL

However the correct value is almost half of what you proposed. After multiple tests I’ve found 0.95 is what it should be at. I’ve updated my cloud profile and my instructions to reflect this.

lipplog
    Participant

@budwheizzah Wow. I’m impressed you found a way to get the steam version to work. I downloaded the profile and it looks beautiful. Many thanks!

Any chance you’d make a similar Full VR profile for GTA San Andreas? I have the same minor issues with that game as I did with Edith Finch. Any chance you’d take that on?

Eincrou
    Participant

I haven’t checked this thread in a couple of weeks, but yikes! It took a lot of posts before lipplog finally got the game working.

This is why I didn’t want to even attempt to explain how to get the game running with Full VR in this thread, because though it’s a simple process, it requires dealing with things that most vorpX users probably aren’t used to working with. Apparently even Image Zoom was one of them.

Anyone who dares to venture beyond the safety of the Official vorpX Game Profiles needs to have a comprehensive understanding of how vorpX interacts with games, the many settings vorpX has, and some general tips and tricks for improving the experience.

For this, I recommend budwheizzah’s video, VorpX Universal Guide 2018 Edition – HTC VIVE, Oculus Rift & SteamVR.

This is a looong ass video, but it would take even longer to figure this stuff out on your own, so set a side an hour and watch it. It’s worth it.

lipplog
    Participant

Actually, we just assumed the problem was not understanding Image Zoom. But as the thread eventually reveals, the problem was the Cheat Engine FOV didn’t work with the Steam version of Edith Finch, which was why tweaking Image Zoom didn’t work very well. Once we figured that out, budwheizzah was able to tweak it to work with steam as well. I didn’t mind being the guinea pig if it means getting a game working.

budwheizzah
    Participant

It’s been a while since I reported here, but I finally put together a video that covers the entire end to end process for both the Steam and Epic or GOG editions of the game. In addition to this video, my final version of the PDF instructions are linked in the description for quicker reference.

The setup guide covers absolutely everything along with the known issues you’ll have playing this game in Full VR and offers visual helpers for every step:

lipplog
    Participant

This is awesome!!!!

lipplog
    Participant

Ok, the PDF is modified to explain those steps properly. Thanks for the help, I wouldn’t have known of this issue since I don’t have the Steam edition to test with, myself.

Do let me know if these fixed instructions work. You should be good to go.

And don’t forget the step by step video…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!