Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Shadows in what remains of Edith finch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    lipplog
    Participant

6. Copy the WRoEF VorpX profile and bind it to FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe (When you copy the profile, check the “Keep special shader definitions” option) or the game won’t hook with VorpX.

Where is the VorpX profile? I checked the VorpX cloud library and didn’t see it.

budwheizzah
    Participant

No… this isn’t a cloud profile. Go into Local Profiles, select the WRoEF profile and click “Create a new profile based on this one”. Tick the “Keep special shader definitions” box. Click OK.
    Then click the Add button on the top right and go find the FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe file. Then you should be all set.

lipplog
    Participant

Okay. Here’s what I get…

Error message

Does this mean I should be selecting the Epic Games version?

lipplog
    Participant

Got it. I had to delete the other local profiles assigned to the exe.

lipplog
    Participant

Huh. Now when I launch the FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe, I get a Fatal Error crash message. And I think the FinchGame.exe is automatically launching unprompted. What am I doing wrong?

Error message

budwheizzah
    Participant

Ok, I’m not sure where you obtained the What Remains of Edith Finch – Epic Games profile (maybe downloaded on the cloud) but my copy of Vorpx which is fully updated didn’t include it. What you did is correct, deleting it and using the copy as I instructed.

Your new problem may likely be due to the FullScreenMode problem. Are you launching the game while VorpX is running, and it blows up right after the three start-up logos? If so:
    Refer to Step 8 in my document (About setting FullScreenMode=1 in GameUsersettings.ini) …I know you tried different resolutions and it may well be your game is trying to run in windowed mode, which is known to crash immediately after the starting logos with VorpX.
    If it’s crashing even without VorpX running, do let me know.

If you’re running FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe I highly doubt it’s firing off FinchGame.exe. I do believe you’re doing that part 100% correctly. If you want to make sure, exit out of Steam completely and launch FinchGame-Win64-Shipping.exe… this should still start the game normally. If it does, then you know you did that part right.

Here’s an image as reference for GameUserSettings.ini
    GameUserSettings.ini
    This file can be found in C:\Users\(Your User)\AppData\Local\FinchGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

lipplog
    Participant

This is interesting.

Every time I run the FinchGame -Win64 Shipping.exe and get the Fatal Error crash, it deletes the FullScreenMode=1 line from the GameUserSettings.ini File. I add it again (exactly like your pic above), save, even open it again to confirm it’s still there, then run the exe with the same results.

What could be causing this?

Also, yes, the FinchGame – win64 exe gives a fatal error crash even when VorpX is off.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Pure speculation, but in case the GameUserSettings.ini is synced via Steam’s cloud saves, changes made to it while the game isn’t running potentially might be reverted when the games is started. So disabling cloud saves for the game might be worth a shot.

Apart from that: after briefly skimming through the thread I would highly suggest to use the GOG version that budwheizzah’s instructions are made for. Swapping .exe files is a recipe for disaster in any case, even more doing so between two apparently quite different game versions like in this case.

If you don’t want to pay full price: GOG sales often start shortly before a Steam sale.

lipplog
    Participant

Disabled cloud, but the ini still changes. I also tried not launching steam when running the FinchGame win64 exe. After the fatal error crash, Steam and FinvhGame.exe are automatically launched. Makes me think you’re right that the steam version is the problem. I’ll give the GOG version a shot.

lipplog
    Participant

Downloaded the GOG version and it works! So the issues are all to do with Steam.

Oh, and there were a few errors in the instructions for the settings…

Under game settings you recommend AA set to off, but it only goes down to Low.

Under VorpX ingame settings you recommend Separation strength: 0.55, but there is no Separation strength setting in full VR mode. At least not in my headset. Maybe you meant a different setting?

Under Head Tracking Sensitivity, you recommend 0.48. In my headset, natural head tracking is 1.48.

That’s it. Let me know which setting you meant for Separation Strength. Thanks!

budwheizzah
    Participant

FINALLY! Good to know the GOG edition works but it’s worrying that the Steam edition is such a stubborn hindrance. I’ll hold back on making a video tutorial before I can confirm how to make that little bugger work.

As for the other things you say: I may have screwed up with the term “Separation strength” which is now called “3D-Strength/scale”. Most importantly if your 3D reconstruction is not on Geometry 3D, you have a bad profile loaded for this game (it’s the only way you wouldn’t see 3D-Strength/scale). Please tell me you are able to set 3D Reconstruction to Geometry… at that point you should see the 3D-Strength/scale option. I wouldn’t play the game if Geometry wasn’t available; all other options are glitchy 2D and simply aren’t worth our time. VorpX built-in profile works perfectly with Geometry 3D both in immersive screen and full VR modes.

Another sign you may have a bad profile is that head tracking sensitivity. That option never varies from person to person: UNLESS you’ve lowered mouse sensitivity in your game, which would directly affect the strength of the head tracking. Did you ever play with mouse sensitivity? If not, then I’m suspecting you have the wrong profile loaded (in addition to not seeing 3D-Strength/scale)

Lastly AA on Low is actually the same as Off. I should clarify that in my setup. I tend to forget they call it Low unless I’m directly looking at the menu :)

budwheizzah
    Participant

@Ralf Actually it seems that the FullScreenMode value gets saved elsewhere (the registry?) after it’s read inside that ini file. It’s very strange but the game will pick up whatever you’ve put in the ini file and remove the entry when you launch the game, and will keep loading with that last fullscreenmode value until you specify a different one in the ini. Both the GOG and Epic editions also remove that line after loading it.

@lipplog
    For the crash with the Steam edition I’m afraid the base game files don’t like running with that replacement EXE, which effectively invalidates that solution. This does leave one hope, however, but I’d need someone with the Steam edition to verify this for me: There is another CheatEngine table that supposedly works speicifically with the Steam edition.

This is the alternate cheat table:
    http://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=1810
    This one is a bit trickier to use, mostly because it’s trying to cover v1.0 and 1.1 of the game at once. I’m assuming you’ll want to edit the v1.1_FOV value. So basically run the actual Steam edition of the game (FinchGame.exe), open that process in CheatEngine while this table is loaded and finally set the v1.1_FOV value somewhere near 0.0123 by double-clicking on the value itself. I’d love to know if this table still actually works. If it does, I’ll feature it in my eventual video setup guide.

lipplog
    Participant

Another sign you may have a bad profile is that head tracking sensitivity.

That’s what it sounds like to me too. Is it possible to share your profile for the test of us to import?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For mouse based head tracking the right sensitivity can differ depending on various factors. Most importantly the mouse sensitivity dialed in the game options, but also the mouse used and in some games the resolution/aspect ratio.

It often is, but you cannot expect this value to interchangeable under all circumstances.

A good and fast method to calibrate mouse based head tracking is described here.

lipplog
    Participant

I also have small issues with other apects of the settings. Which is why I’d love to get a copy of the profile. Is that possible?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!