Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working

Homepage Forums Technical Support Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Demosthenes
    Participant

Since the update I’ve had many crashes, almost all of the games that I regularly used with Vorpx don’t work anymore, or crash the system / oculus / game.
    But I suspect if I can get one to work the others may follow – in this case Skyrim [original version] and Mod Organizer. Game works fine outside of Vorpx from MO, and worked fine before the update.

All I get on launch is a black screen with the Vorpx logo. Occassionally it fades to complete black and comes back again with the logo.

Sometimes if I alt-tab I will see the ‘exclude program /do nothing’ dialog. Often the keyboard and mouse are not able to select anything here. This has happened with other games too.

Also I have the very slow mouse in Vorpx menu problem reported by another user, in the few games that have worked. I raise the mouse dpi temporarily to deal with that.

I have no running programs that could conlict and have excluded running ones using the config. Have also excluded Vorpx folder in Windows Defender. Have tried under both Oculus 2.0 and older home runtime. Even changed the monitor connection to the GPU.

I have a Vive as well but have not tested in that yet.

Specs:

Win 7 64bit
    1080ti [latest drivers]
    I7 4790k
    16gb Ram
    SSD

If someone has a working setup with Mod Organizer I’d like to know your specs etc so I can narrow this down.

MarkG
    Participant

Yep, they broke it somehow.

Today I thought, ‘I know, I haven’t played Skyrim in ages, let’s have a go’. But, lo, VorpX must update, which is so often bad news.

And so, it turned out that VorpX no longer works with Skyrim and Mod Organizer. My Mod Organizer profile works fine without VorpX. Skyrim works with VorpX without Mod Organizer. I created a brand-new VorpX profile with only the default Skyrim files, and it still crashes on startup when run with VorpX.

Can you fix this, please? This is pretty much the only thing I use VorpX for, so breaking it has made the software pretty much useless for me.

Alternatively, can you give me a way to go back to a previous version, as I was quite happy with the working setup I had before this.

MarkG
    Participant

I created a brand-new VorpX profile

That should, obviously, have been ‘Mod Organizer profile.’

MarkG
    Participant

I was just looking at the recent change logs, and I wonder if this could be related to the changes to detect game overlays? I believe SKSE may use the Steam overlay to load itself, so there could be some kind of conflict there.

I turned that option off in the VorpX config, but it didn’t stop the game crashing.

prinyo
    Participant

Oldrim + MO works with the new version. Two things to try to debug:

1. It seems the updates still reset the VorpX settings, so make sure to enable Run as Administrator in VorpX config after every update. There is a warning shown when you do that, but if you play modded Skyrim you need this enabled.

2. It seems the new VorpX versions breaks with some ini optimisations that were working until now. I haven’t narrowed it down yet, but for me the game was unplayable after the update until I got a fresh set of ini files.
    Copy the current ini files somewhere and delete them. Start the game in a normal way and quit it. It should have created fresh ini’s.
    If using MO – copy/paste the content of the new ini files into the ini editor of MO.

MarkG
    Participant

I’ve never needed to run it as administrator before.

Do you have a working .ini file that I could try?

prinyo
    Participant

Maybe running as Admin was a MO thing, not sure. However I seem to recall running as Admin because of NMM some time ago. But try with that setting on in VorpX Config and see if it helps.

The easiest way to get fresh ini files is to run the game once without the files been there so it will recreate it. I’m currently using the default ini files as I haven’t had the time to find out what exactly is the problem in the old files. Also I’m not sure I understand how this new VorpX version deals with the ini’s yet.

Just to add – I’m not saying those things will fix the problems. Those are ideas for what to try if the game was broken by the update. Those things were the problems I had in my setup, but in your setup it can be a different problem.

nieda113
    Participant

doesnt even the delay thing we did in the past work?
    MO2 oculus home 2.0 and vorpx before update worked fine but i had to delay the start of vorpx a few seconds ….

MarkG
    Participant

So, I decided to try looking at this today. VorpX downloaded another update and… Skyrim no longer works at all, with or without Mod Organizer.

I just get a brief flash of a black window, then it shuts down with no error message. Skyrim works fine if VorpX isn’t running.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is with 200% certainty a concidence. Not only didn’t the latest version change anything in regard to D3D9, it is also out since a week. If there was a general Skyrim start crash issue, you would have read about that here.

Please try the usual trouble shooting in case of start crashes: first and foremost disabling your AV scanner if it is not Windows Defender, then every other program running in the background. And last but not least try an unmodded Skyrim.

BTW: vorpX works fine with ModOrganizer, SKSE or not. Please make sure to use the last ‘official’ Mod Organizer build from Skyrim Nexus (1.3.11). There are several forks and custom versions, those were not tested. In vorpX 17.3 actually functionality has been added to specifically handle Mod Organizer profiles since the tool apparently is quite popular.

MarkG
    Participant

Yeah, looks like I’m running 1.3.11.

To summarize:

1. This worked (aside from the usual modded Skyrim crashes) just before Christmas.
    2. It doesn’t work since Vorpx updated itself.
    3. Unmodded Skyrim didn’t work after the latest VorpX update, but I did the ‘reset profile to default’ thing and it did start up after that.
    4. Running with Mod Organizer just gets a flash of black, then crashes.
    5. Running with Mod Organizer, no mods enabled, and the .ini files from the unmodded Skyrim still doesn’t work. So it’s Mod Organizer, not the mods.
    6. Enabling ‘run as administrator’ doesn’t help.

Literally the only things that have changed on that computer are VorpX and possibly new Oculus software; I haven’t checked whether that’s updated lately.

So something’s changed in this version that broke something that was working fine before. Since you did explicitly made changes to support Mod Organizer, perhaps something you changed isn’t compatible with my Mod Organizer installation for some reason.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please follow the trouble shooting steps outlined above. I even checked for you whether it still works before writing my answer above.

MarkG
    Participant

BTW, one possibly unusual thing is that I have two different Mod Organizer installs: one for VR, and one for flat games. Could that confuse your code that’s looking for the profiles?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Can’t really answer that, sorry. I understand that you Skyrim pros all use extremely individual setups and as you can see from even doing coding even for mod tools like ModOrganizer I do everything that is possible to account for that, but please first and foremost check whether any issue you encounter does happen with a completely unmodded Skyrim.

The current vorpX version works perfectly fine with Skyrim and also with a “normal” ModOrganizer setup. For anything else I have no answer.

prinyo
    Participant

Try to run Skyrim from the other MO.
    Or check to never change game settings in VorpX Config and see if it runs this way. One of the situations where I have seen this way of crashing is if it tries to run with an unsupported resolution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!