Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working

Homepage Forums Technical Support Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

For the 10th time or so: advanved users aren’t ‘sacrificed’ in any way. Not in the slightest. Nothing has been taken away from you. You can tweak just as much as you could before. Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed for you if you want to tweak, that can’t be so difficult to understand.

All I’m asking for is that please be very, very careful about advising others to disable the very feature that makes vorpX more accessible for the 95% that don’t want to tweak.

Thanks again for your understanding.

nieda113
    Participant

@Ralph i see ur desperate , make a sticky at the top of this thread..

(just in case thats a joke)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I stopped laughing halfway through that discussion. If you want to continue it, go ahead. Nothing has changed for you, you can tweak all the way you want. But if you continue to make things more difficult for others (and me) by recommending to disable vital new features of vorpX, I’ll have to rethink whether leaving that option in for you tweakers really was the right choice.

Nothing has been taken from you, and I still believe that was the right decision. Right now however both of you, willingly or not, do everything you can to change my mind about that.

Demosthenes
    Participant

Since I started this thread, and since I have been forced to revert to a previous Vorpx version to get Skyrim working again, I’d like to make a request for more information.

1] Please list exactly what ini edits Vorpx adds to Skyrim’s ini files. If possible add a note explaining what they do.

ie:
    SkyrimPrefs.ini: [Imagespace] section, changes BDoDepthOfField=1 to bDoDepthOfField=0 , to prevent black water bug.

2] What exactly does Vorpx do in relation to Mod Organizer?

‘Support’ for Mod Organizer seems somewhat vague. I originally thought it meant it would be less likely to conflict, but it seems to mean Vorpx now knows to look in Mod Organizer profiles folder for ini files.

Does it edit only the ini files for that profile which are used upon starting a Vorpx game? Does it leave the rest alone?

I have a Vorpx profile and a non-Vorpx profile. For obvious reasons I don’t want it messing with the ‘non-Vorpx’ profile.

If I set the MO profile ini files to read only will Vorpx crash / fail to hook or just continue and ignore it [the game will start you just won’t have those optimizations] ?

3] I may be remembering this incorrectly because of my brief experience with 17.3 but is it correct that Vorpx now edit files *before* giving you the option for those edits?

If the game will not start because of a particular change Vorpx has introduced then the user cannot access the menus that reverse that particular change.
    This seems like a Catch 22.

You then have to resort to ‘disabling’ everything generally, which naturally you disapprove of.

Obviously, all these issues mainly concern games that can be modded. And indeed games that have to modded to be stable, like Skyrim 32bit.
    For the rest of them I’m quite happy to trust your judgement, but with a Jenga-like construction of a modded Skyrim and the amount of time I have spent making it work, more information is vital.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please disable auto settings if you believe that improves anything. It doesn’t, I can assure you that, the opposite is the case. But if automatic changes make you feel uncomfortable, you can disable them nonetheless. Be aware though that left unhandled ModOrganizer definitely will cause glitches.

So before reporting any glitches/issues you encounter with auto settings disabled please always make sure that these issues also occur with auto settings enabled to avoid reporting issues that do not exist when vorpX can do its job fully.

I can also assure you that definitely no other customization tools like ModOrganizer will ever be considered by vorpX. What I take away from this thread is that you as users of such tools apparently favor complete control over everything else, even if it helps you. Strikes me as rather odd, but it’s your loss, not mine. I don’t have enough time for discussions like this one.

From now on the only official recommendation in case of any issues with a heavily modded Skyrim install is again to please first check whether your issue also occurs with an unmodded version of the game and without any additional tool. Then add your tools and mods back one by one to isolate the mod/tool that causes the issue.

prinyo
    Participant

Ok, so here is how I understand the situation.

Disabling the auto changes globally does revert to the old way but as the game optimization screen is gone from the VorpX Config any new game you try will not be optimized. It is like running the old version without optimizing the game first. Which is definitely a bad idea. And disabling the global setting is indeed a bad idea and a last resort temporary measure only.

There is a similar option – per game. However in order to get to it you need to start the game as it is located in the in-game menu.
    If the game wont start with the new version – disable the global auto config option and try to start it again. If(!) it starts press Dell, find the option to not auto configure the game, turn it on, close the game and return the global option to it’s default status.

All this makes sense if you already have optimized ini files for the game. So for example it should work if you want to recover a Skyrim setup that was working before and doesn’t work now.

The global auto config needs to stay on and the only time it makes sense to temporary disable it is if a game is not starting at all with a hope to recover it.

About the in-game auto config option – it is also a good idea to keep it on. There is an additional option – only about the resolution. If you, like me, find the resolution VorpX chooses to be too low and have the stomach to handle higher reprojections, keep the auto config on, but the auto resolution off and set your preferred resolution in the ini.

About the MO problems, two general ideas that might help – install MO again on top of itself. Nothing in you setup will change but the registry values will be recreated. If you for some reason have 2 MO instalations make sure the MO you start the game with VorpX is the last installed one. Not sure how this will affect people who have MO and MO2 installed at the same time.
    You can also try and create a new profile – just copy the one you want to use. Maybe there is a problem with the current profile.

Also – if you do not know what MO is then nothing in this thread is relevant to you.

Added: Curious if people who have problem with MO + Oldrim also use MO2 with SSE.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That sums up how it works pretty well.

Only one addition that you could not know: vorpX only considers the currently running ModOrganizer instance, doesn’t matter which was installed first if use more than one. So it’s very easy to maintain two different MO installs, e.g. a non-vorpX and a vorpX install of MO side by side, if that makes sense for your setup.

Demosthenes
    Participant

The replies have made me more uncertain as to what Vorpx is doing.

I honestly don’t understand the reluctance to providing basic information.

Previously you said you were now providing ‘support’ for Mod Organizer ini profiles and you asked for our help with that:

Quick question for Skyrim modding pros

You said “Today I added support for ‘Skyrim Mod Organizer’ managed ini-files to the new settings optimizer. “

Now you say “I can also assure you that definitely no other customization tools like ModOrganizer will ever be considered by vorpX.”

???

Anyway, I would like to know what Vorpx ‘support’ of MO profiles means in practice. **What does it do?**

At the risk of repeating myself:

1] What ini edits does Vorpx add to Skyrim’s ini files?

If possible add a note explaining what they do, although *this is not necessary* as I can figure that out for myself.

2] Does it edit only the ini files for that profile which is used upon starting a Vorpx game?

Does it leave other profiles and their inis for the same game alone?

Is the behaviour the same for every game?

If I set the MO profile ini files to read only for testing particular changes will Vorpx crash / fail to hook or just continue and ignore it [the game will start you just won’t have those optimizations] ?

As to the ‘support’ for MO, it would be better just to remove it and say it is not supported, than to have the changes it is making, and even what it is doing, so obscure.

These issues are going to keep coming up again especially when Vortex, the new Nexus mod manager being developed by the programmer of MO, is released shortly.

I want to upgrade to the new version of Vorpx without hours of troubleshooting and wasted time that could have been avoided with a little info.

If you feel this small amount of information is too ‘dangerous’ for your general users to know, fine, then can I send you a support email which you reply to with the info?

Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Believing I could help you by handling ModOrganizer was a mistake on my end, sorry for the confusion. I did not consider that apparently every ModOrganizer user uses the tool in a different way so that doing it right would actually mean taking care of each one of you personally, which is just not possible. So the only help I can offer in regard to potential issues with a heavily modded Skyrim is suggesting the procedure that always has been suggested until now.

In case of any issues with a heavily modded Skyrim please first check whether your issue also occurs with an unmodded version of the game and without any additional tool. Then add your tools and mods back one by one to isolate the mod/tool that causes the issue.

Demosthenes
    Participant

Yes, I suspected you would just ignore my requests for basic information.

By the way I don’t use MO any different to a normal installation for Skyrim.
    You misunderstand and over-complicate to think everyone uses it differently, and you misdirect your attention when you think it is mods that are the problem.
    Very few mods touch memory functions, and the ones that do work fine with Vorpx.

The problem is that you, for mysterious reasons, won’t tell someone who’s paid for your program whether Vorpx changes the ini files for all profiles or just for the launched instance.

It really isn’t that hard, and it won’t hurt.

If that genuinely is too much, I would advise you to remove Vorpx’s messing with MO’s files and just say ‘it does not support it’. Then MO users can provide support to each other and I and others can stop wasting time asking questions that won’t be answered.

This is the best option.
    And will probably be the best option when Vortex releases at the end of January.

And I guesss I will have to find those ini edits out for myself through file comparison since copy and paste for the developer is too much trouble.

I know lone wolf programmers tend to think in bizarre ways, but it’s still disappointing to discover that paying customers asking for basic information about Vorpx’s own features is considered verboten.

Demosthenes
    Participant

Yes, I suspected you would reject requests for basic information.

I don’t use MO any different to a normal installation for Skyrim.
    You misunderstand and over-complicate to think everyone uses it differently, and you misdirect your attention when you think it is mods that are always the problem.
    Very few mods touch memory functions or startup, and the ones that do work fine with Vorpx.
    My Skyrim installtion is working fine with the *previous* version of Vorpx – with 400+ mods, 253 plugins and a 1080ti.

My only problem is that, for mysterious reasons, you won’t give someone who’s supporting your program any information on how the *new* Vorpx behaves.

If that genuinely is too much, I would again advise you to remove Vorpx’s messing with MO’s files and just say ‘it does not support it’.
    MO users can provide support to each other and I and others can stop wasting time asking questions that won’t be answered.

This is the best option.

And will still be the best option when Vortex releases at the end of January.

I know lone wolf programmers tend to think in bizarre ways, but it’s still disappointing to discover that paying customers asking for basic information about Vorpx’s own features is considered verboten.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As suggested above already you can disable auto settings if they make you feel uncomfortable. Doesn’t really make too much sense since it will cause you issues instead of solving them, but you can of course still do so if you believeve that is better for your setup.

If you allow them, which I highly recommend, you can restore the prior state at any time in the vorpX config app. You are in full control, there really is nothing to be concerned about.

prinyo
    Participant

This thread is depressingly and disappointingly surreal, absurd and unhelpful. I honestly do not understand what is there to gain by pro-actively alienating users with replies like this and purposefully denying any basic customer support.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Reading that from someone who got a personal feature programmed entirely for himself just three weeks ago sounds a bit funny, but thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the matter at hand:

The mod organizer integration was meant to simplify things both for you and for me. it did the exact opposite. You are either confused or even openly dislike that things happen ‘behind your backs’, and I spend an awful lot of time replying to this forum thread instead of doing useful work.

Entirely my fault, not yours, since I didn’t consider how important it is for you guys to have full control over every single line in your ModOrganizer ini-files at any time.

If you can’t or don’t want to trust me that the mod organizer integration is a good thing, so be it. This was an attempt to do something good for you – which it does and TBH I still have no clue what the actual, real issue is you are having with that besides some vague feeling of losing control, but I can only conclude that this kind of help is not wanted. So it will be removed.

In turn you have to consider Skyrim installs with ModOrganizer unsupported (and quite likely glitchy) again just like before.

Thread closed. Since the MO integration will be removed it has run its course.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘Skyrim & Mod Organizer not working’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!