STALKER GAMES ON DK2

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings STALKER GAMES ON DK2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Szabby
    Participant

Hi!

I would like to know, if it is possible to run any STALKER game on DK2 with Vorpx?

I know, that STALKER Call of Priyat runs well on DK1+Vorpx, and Lost Alpha too, since it is also based on COP’s engine.

But what about DK2? Can I play Lost Alpha or any other STALKER game on it?

All answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Gods3nt
    Participant

Yes stalker runs fine with the dk2.

Szabby
    Participant

Hi!

Thanks very much!

Does this refer also to Lost Alpha?

Do STALKER games have any issues on DK2, like buggy sky or anything?

Thanks again!

moarveer
    Participant

Shadow of Chernobyl doesn’t have a profile, so 2d only, a shame.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The problem with the Stalker games is that they all use the same .exe name for the actual program, which confuses vorpX’s game identification. You might get lucky with DX9/Z-Buffer 3D for all Stalker games, but there is no guarantee unfortunately. Many things in regard to 3D-creation, be it Z-Buffer or Geometry 3D, depend on game specific heuristics. A (slightly) smarter game identification, which can account for Stalker-like cases, is on the long-term todo-list.

Szabby
    Participant

Dear Ralf!

Thank you for your reply!

Would you please tell me: does all this mean, that with the actual version of VorpX I can not run STALKER Lost Alpha under DX10 or DX11 on Oculus Rift DK2?

p.s.: there is a really huge STALKER community out there even today (Lost Alpha had been downloaded half a million times untill now!), and hundreds of thousands of STALKER fans all over the world are just starving to have the games finally made possible on OR. I know it must be hard to solve technically, and there are lots of “whishlists”, but please, consider all these above along developing VorpX and appointing priorities!

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can run them in DX11, and they probably will hook just fine, there might just not be any Stereo 3D. All VR related functions like head tracking and most additional vorpX functionality will be intact though. So they will still be fully playable.

Szabby
    Participant

Hi All!

Thank you for all the comments!

Please, if you have any additional thought, idea or suggestion about the STALKER games and Oculus Rift Dk2, please, be so kind to comment!

Thanks!

Szabby

Szabby
    Participant

Hi Ralf!

Would you please comment how you exactly mean: “there might just not be any Stereo 3D.”?

What’s the difference in experience and 3D immersion if I have Stereo 3D or not? Could you please define this for me from the technical side?

To be honest, I thought, that the stereo 3D images created by a game engine’s native OR support in result and 3D experience are equal with those that are created by VorpX.

But your comment tells me, that I will have to lack some part of the 3D experience using STALKER games on DK2 with VorpX. So?

Thanks very much!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no 3D in unsupported games like the specific Stalker game you mention. Supported games have Stereo 3D, in regard the Stalker series currently this applies to Call of Pripyat (an possibly others when using the DX9 renderer).

BTW: immersion in VR is a result of many factors, and S3D isn’t even the most important of them. The most important factor for VR immersion is the ability to walk and look around in the game. You can test that yourself with a simple real world experiment right now: close one eye and check whether you are still immersed in your surrounding.

Szabby
    Participant

OK, just one final question than: STALKER – Call of Pripyat is a supported game by VorpX on DK1. So as a supported game, it has stereo 3D, right?

Does this mean, that if I’m lucky, I can play STALKER COP also on DK2 with stereo 3D and VorpX, OR I MUST wait for an upcoming VorpX version that supports STALKER games on DK2?

Thank you again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no reason I’m aware of why it wouldn’t work on the DK2.

Szabby
    Participant

Thank you again!

All this conversation equals, that STALKER Call of Pripaty has a support from Vorpx also on DK2, while other STALKER games are unsure.

I mentioned STALKER Lost ALpha just becouse it uses basically Call of Pripyat’s XRay Engine. So I thought, if COP works on DK2, than Lost Alpha should also work.

Szabby
    Participant

Hi Ralf!

By the way: I use these games with several mods.

In general: do mods have any effect on the VorpX and OR compatibility?

Thanks

Szabby
    Participant

Hi Ralf!

In one of your previous comments you said, that there aren’t any issues your are aware of, that might prevent STALKER COP to run on DK2 with VorpX.

Well, I tried yesterday several times, but no luck. The game starts, but the rift shows only black screen, no matter what I do. So, would you please take a look at it? A guide would be quite useful, f.e. the rift is primary or secondary screen, landscape or portrait view, what’s with the settings of OR utility (where you adjust extended mode, configuration utility, etc.).

If you found a solution, I am sure, that number of VorpX customers would highly increase, becouse as you know, Lost Alpha uses COP’s engine, and Lost Alpha will get an updated Developer’s Cut release soon. This will make Lost Alpha the best graphics and atmosphere STALKER game ever made, and lots of people will want to play it on DK2.

Thank you, greetings!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!